Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 11:09 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And there is so much love to make up
Everywhere we turn
Love we have wasted on the way
There is so much water flowing
Underneath the bridge
Let the water come and carry us away

That is what is repeating in my mind today.
Great band, music and many lyrics that still flow through my mind on a regular basis. For all variety of reasons...

Getting back to Kent State and CSN&Y, their masterpiece, "Ohio," is considered one of the most significant protest songs of that very difficult time in our history. Certainly one of my favorites, on a vinyl I still have and cherish more than most. Written when protest was so badly needed. Here's to these amazing musicians who rose to the occasion and gave voice to so many people who needed one.

Old 01-25-2023, 11:12 AM

88,577 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
Yeah, I'm the Robert DeNiro character but Jodie Foster is L8, the girl who ran away from family because she thinks they are square. Do you think we spiritual types are crazies going hali mali oom all the time? We can see through the screen of Maya which you call science-based worldly life.

Moderator cut: P&OC material not allowed here.
L8 didn't run away from family because she thinks they are "square", though, so that doesn't match. The Jody Foster character would have had to be shunned by her family to make it an accurate analogy.

I think I am the only person who has never seen this movie, although I am familiar with the cultural references.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 01-25-2023 at 11:24 AM..

Old 01-25-2023, 11:18 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I presume you’re Robert DeNiro and cb is Jodie Foster. But then who are Ronald Reagan and John Hinckley, Jr., much less James Brady? Could religion and spirituality have stopped this assassination attempt on The Gipper?
Oddly coincidental, because I just watched this movie again on a plane not more than a month ago. After a very long time since the last time...

This movie was/is also one of my favorites. I saw it in the theater in Hollywood when it first came out. Been a big fan of DeNiro's ever since. (Upon seeing it again, I noticed Harvey Keitel is in that movie too. Big fan of his as well).

As for who or what can stop an assassination attempt (or any of these killings), great question! Not sure whether religion or spirituality is any more answer than cause in all too many cases however. Crazy comes from all walks of life, all beliefs and typically thanks to some loose screw anyone might have rattling in their brain regardless their stripes.

Old 01-25-2023, 11:28 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I am not sure why you are surprised, and given a few too many comments you've posted in this forum over a fair amount of time now, I'm not sure you have allowed these words of wisdom to sink in for yourself as deep as you would like to suggest, think or believe. I suspect ego is more real than you realize as well...

As my wife is often fond of pointing out; "Actions speak louder than words." -- original quote attribution: unknown! And my wife doesn't care who first said it either...
wow. now that you got that out of your system, i sincerely hope the rest of your day gives you some serenity.

Old 01-25-2023, 11:33 AM

427 posts, read 127,861 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm the Robert DeNiro character but Jodie Foster is L8, the girl who ran away from family because she thinks they are square. Do you think we spiritual types are crazies going hali mali oom all the time? We can see through the screen of Maya which you call science-based worldly life.

Moderator cut: P&OC material not allowed here.

Wow, the queen stole my thunder which directly relates to mental health.

What is P&OC material anyway? I need to know so as to avoid breaking the rules in future.

Old 01-25-2023, 11:37 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:

What is P&OC material anyway? I need to know so as to avoid breaking the rules in future.
And I didn’t even get to see that part of the response before it was deleted. You are skilled at banter, and I love me a good banter.

To answer your question, the title of the thread is “Spirituality is Mental Health.” Since John Hinckley, Jr. was quite clearly mentally ill (and, as far as I know, his Taxi Driver-fueled obsessions were secular in nature), I’m asking if you or anyone else believe that religion and spiritual practices would have prevented the violent culmination of his deranged thought process (if not the process itself).

Old 01-25-2023, 11:38 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:

it is the secret to happiness. politics and current events.

Old 01-25-2023, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
L8 didn't run away from family because she thinks they are "square", though, so that doesn't match. The Jody Foster character would have had to be shunned by her family to make it an accurate analogy.

I think I am the only person who has never seen this movie, although I am familiar with the cultural references.

The term "square" means it doesn't fit into a round hole. L8 didn't get along with the mother and vice versa. Isn't that a perfect analogy?

Old 01-25-2023, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
it is the secret to happiness. politics and current events.

Thanks for the guidance. P&OC is what Maya is. If we are not permitted to look at the actuality of Maya, which is P&OC, how can we understand the cause of mental illness? I have no intention of encouraging involvement in politics. We need to understand its dynamics so as to extricate ourselves from it and break the karma.

Old 01-25-2023, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
My2 is both DeNiro and Foster. I don't figure into it at all.

You do figure in it. And that back and forth between the Jodie Foster and the DeNiro characters made me laugh. I know you are not 14 but I perceive you as an innocent kid that can be salvaged and not someone all grown up and beyond redemption. And I am not trying to make your mother right either. She is probably beyond redemption in the sense that she is well set in her ways.

In that movie, the Jodie Foster character was set free from her life hawking in the streets and went back to her folks. In your case, you could step out of this karmic vortex with your mother and be free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality