Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 02:53 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,161,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
This thread is to share the wisdom in the teachings of different religions, spiritual paths, philosophies, and the wise, that provide tools for mental health and happiness. The Desiderata would qualify perfectly.
Feel free to share your piece of wisdom that has inspired you, helps you towards spirituality, that have had a positive impact in the way you think and behave, and that keeps you in a state of happiness and peace, even if only momentarily.
Please provide attribution if you know the source. The words are inspired by Divinity even as they are written by human hands. We will recognize that.
I follow Jesus' teachings by way of spirit communications through automatic writing received from medium, attorney James E. Padgett (1852-1923) in Washington, D.C. from 1914-1922. There are four volumes of over 2,500 messages available at online bookstores with titles such as True Gospel Revealed Anew by Jesus, Book of Truths, The Padgett Messages, etc. Selected messages from volumes one and two can be read at this website: Truth for all People.

From the messages, I learned about God's Divine Love and have been on the Divine Love spiritual path for many years. This is different than the natural love spiritual path. The following Prayer for Divine Love helps to open our soul for the Love to flow in:

"Our Father, who art in Heaven, we recognize that Thou art all Holy and loving and merciful, and that we are Thy children, and not the subservient, sinful and depraved creatures that our false teachers would have us believe. That we are the greatest of Thy creation, and the most wonderful of all Thy handiworks, and the objects of Thy great soul’s love and tenderest care.

That Thy will is that we become at-one with Thee, and partake of Thy great Love which Thou hast bestowed upon us through Thy mercy and desire that we become, in truth, Thy children, through love, and not through the sacrifice and death of any one of Thy creatures even though the world believes that one Thy equal and a part of Thy Godhead.

We pray that Thou will open up our souls to the inflowing of Thy Love, and that then may come Thy Holy Spirit to bring into our souls this, Thy Love in great abundance until our souls shall be transformed into the very essence of Thyself; and that there may come to us faith - such faith as will cause us to realize that we are truly Thy children and one with Thee in very substance and not in image only.

Let us have such faith as will cause us to know that Thou art our Father, and the bestower of every good and perfect gift, and that only we, ourselves, can prevent Thy Love changing us from the mortal to the immortal.

Let us never cease to realize that Thy Love is waiting for each and all of us, and that when we come to Thee, in faith and earnest aspiration, Thy Love will never be withholden from us.

Keep us in the shadow of Thy Love every hour and moment of our lives, and help us to overcome all temptations of the flesh, and the influence of the powers of the evil ones, which so constantly surround us and endeavor to turn our thoughts away from Thee to the pleasures and allurements of this world.

We thank Thee for Thy Love and the privilege of receiving it, and we believe that Thou art our Father - the loving Father who smiles upon us in our weakness and is always ready to help us and take us to Thy arms of love.

We pray, thus, with all the earnestness and longings of our souls and trusting in Thy Love, give Thee all the glory, and honor and love that our finite souls can give."

In the beginning, I read this prayer every day. Then I began receiving the Love without saying a word. It's a "soul thing."

The Divine Love spiritual path is really amazing because not only can we receive Divine Love here on earth, but after we pass over into the next world - the spirit world aka the Heavens - we continue receiving it until we become completely transformed. When this happens, the spirits are considered to be Divine Angels and they progress to where Jesus resides.

Divine Love is the highest Love and with prayer and faith, this Love is sent directly into our soul by God's Holy Spirit. As it flows in, we can definitely feel it. And the more we receive, the deeper the feeling and often times I do feel an inner expansion in my heart region. Note, God leaves it up to each of us if we want it... it's ours. If we don't, that's fine. Just know that those who don't want it will be following the natural love path.

I don't believe all of the Christian bible, however, there are a few verses which do apply to my belief:

Romans 5:5 - And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s Love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.

Ezekiel 36:26-28 - A New Heart also will I give you and a New Spirit will I put within you and I shall take away the stony heart out of your flesh and I will put my spirit within you and cause you to walk in my statutes and you shall keep my judgments and do them.

We learn from the messages that God's Divine Love is in the atmosphere. It surrounds us and envelops each one of His children. Knowing this and being in receipt of this most awesome and wondrous Love is very humbling.

One of the first changes for me after receiving the Love for a certain length of time, peace came upon me. I have had this peace now for several decades. A feeling of happiness is also present and fear has been removed from my thinking. Especially the fear of dying. This wasn't an overnight phenomena. Change happened over time.

Old 01-23-2023, 03:20 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Everyone has an ego but it is not a physical thing that can be located in any part of the body.
Who said it was physical i.e. it’s merely perception of the self and is part of one’s personality that is (at least partially) conscious. That said, behavior/thoughts relative to such/the brain, can be demonstrable/physical.

Quote:
Withdraw from your Ego. The Ego is a construct born of delusion and ignorance.
Quote:
This thread is not discussing atheism.
Not directly, but it is speaking to mental health/spirituality (as if the two equate). Your OP specifically mentions ‘withdrawing from ego’ (and that it is a construct born of delusion). It’s delusional on your part to believe one can ‘withdraw’ from ego or that by doing so, you somehow are able to reach (a higher level of) spirituality of some sort, as your OP appears to indicate, or that ‘spirituality is mental health’ (per your title).

Else, what IS this thread discussing, lol? That said, I’ll leave you to it.

Old 01-23-2023, 03:27 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Wh

Thank you.

Old 01-23-2023, 03:50 PM

427 posts, read 127,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Who said it was physical i.e. it’s merely perception of the self and is part of one’s personality that is (at least partially) conscious. That said, behavior/thoughts relative to such/the brain, can be demonstrable/physical.

Not directly, but it is speaking to mental health/spirituality (as if the two equate). Your OP specifically mentions ‘withdrawing from ego’ (and that it is a construct born of delusion). It’s delusional on your part to believe one can ‘withdraw’ from ego or that by doing so, you somehow are able to reach (a higher level of) spirituality of some sort, as your OP appears to indicate, or that ‘spirituality is mental health’ (per your title).

Please don't leave. You contended that withdrawal from ego is not only undoable but also delusional. You need to give an argument to back that up.

High esteem is easy to attain if you are dismissive of ideas that pose a threat to your ego.

Old 01-23-2023, 04:42 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
In Christianity Jesus can through the prayers of ``spiritual authority of the believer ``.... When you rebuke the demons, rebuke the spiritual wickedness , rebuke the powers of darkness trough Jesus ...... If you have repented and have faith than God will rip these spirits out of peoples minds and body and people can temporary be free of the works of the flesh through demons and these spirits who manipulate man , which is great for mental health Glory to God

Old 01-23-2023, 05:09 PM

998 posts, read 785,836 times
This book answered all my questions
https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book...dized/foreword

Old 01-23-2023, 08:02 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
What do you mean? You think cb2008 is recommending the wearing "rose-tinted sunglasses"? Even if it is true, why isn't it mentally healthy to do that: An optimistic perception of something; a positive opinion; seeing something in a positive way, often thinking of it as better than it actually is.
I apologize in advance but I can't watch this anymore. Knock, knock Puddenhead! That poster is trying to get you to understand it means what it means TO YOU because that is the goal. We're not learning; we are remembering.

Sorry, I had to go Captain Obvious but someone had to do it.

Old 01-23-2023, 11:12 PM

427 posts, read 127,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I apologize in advance but I can't watch this anymore. Knock, knock Puddenhead! That poster is trying to get you to understand it means what it means TO YOU because that is the goal. We're not learning; we are remembering.

Please don't apologize. Just dump on me. It's good for your mental health.

That poster wasn't trying anything other than dumping on cb2008. She opened this thread about mental health through spirituality. First, that poster. Next came the cowboy, followed by the buddhist monk. And they all were not buying.

I have difficulty understanding you, back there, as well as now. cb2008 was talking about moksha, and treemoni was talking about sunglasses. I asked him to explain the sunglasses, and he scooted off before I could grab him by his neck. And you come along to wise me up on what? Please don't derail the topic which is about mental health. If you have your head screwed on right, you don't need to be here. This thread is only for the sick of spirit. Have you freed yourself of the ego yet?

Old 01-24-2023, 05:52 AM

Refresh.
Quote:
Feel free to share your piece of wisdom that has inspired you, helps you towards spirituality, that have had a positive impact in the way you think and behave, and that keeps you in a state of happiness and peace, even if only momentarily.
Please provide attribution if you know the source. The words are inspired by Divinity even as they are written by human hands. We will recognize that.
Not so difficult, is it? This thread is not inviting a critique of the verse by Shankara. If it touches you fine, if not fine. It is inviting you to share a text that gave you wisdom and opened a window in your mind and how it helped you. Mental health advices does that as well, open a new way of thinking about what troubles you, new way of behaviour, and cut a new path to free thinking and living.
Text does not equal videos of rock bands. The lyrics that impress you is.
A good morning to everyone. I am looking at a piece of winter wonderland outside my window.

Old 01-24-2023, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post

We're not learning; we are remembering. I like that.
The goal at first is to understand what it means to you. Later to understand what Shankara imeans and what he wants you to understand. That may require a deeper and wider study of where he is coming from.
When i read this same work first when I was 25 (I have notes which I always do when I read what is important to me) i dismissed parts of his text as misogyny. I stopped reading further. I dismissed him as well.
I return to this work now after reading a lot more texts, contemplation, and with deeper understanding. I still have more to understand, I am not done yet. I feel indebted to him that he has devoted so much effort and time in giving us these texts. None of these are copyrighted. NONE of the Vedic texts are, nothing expunged, no alteration or rewrites. Shankara was a prolific writer. Sometime in the 3000 to 5000 BCE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.