Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 02:12 PM

15,879 posts, read 6,349,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
Why? Like you, I don't believe in free will when it comes to voices in my head. I let them rant all they want without any movement in response. If I were to argue with you, I lose you. Can you hurt me? Sure, if I am not paying attention, the pain of the verbal attack would shock me into wakefulness. I absorb the blow without retaliation. It's just a voice in my head. But why the pain? What is getting hurt? The ego, right? I am so damn full of myself, this ego punching bag that everyone wants to beat up. It deserves a kick in the butt. It doesn't even like being shunned. How vulnerable can you get?

Not every verbal attack can be dismissed without careful examination.
Maybe put on your sunglasses and confront them? You got the key after all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNrbrhQknLQ

Old 01-24-2023, 06:44 PM

88,649 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Crossby Stills and Nash. What resonates for you?
The passing of time, ending of life, potential new beginnings, the never-ending cycle and movement.

Old 01-24-2023, 09:37 PM

427 posts, read 128,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Maybe put on your sunglasses and confront them? You got the key after all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNrbrhQknLQ

Nice beat but I don't got the key. Anyway, I was watching this movie while working out in my gym today and this scene struck me because I saw you and me in this damn conversation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rha7P6l4_C8

Old 01-25-2023, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Nice beat but I don't got the key. Anyway, I was watching this movie while working out in my gym today and this scene struck me because I saw you and me in this damn conversation:

The narration or self-talk is pretty much the only thing we can exert control over. You do have the keys to that.

Old 01-25-2023, 07:22 AM

9,364 posts, read 13,028,693 times
Quote:

I presume you’re Robert DeNiro and cb is Jodie Foster. But then who are Ronald Reagan and John Hinckley, Jr., much less James Brady? Could religion and spirituality have stopped this assassination attempt on The Gipper?

Old 01-25-2023, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I presume you’re Robert DeNiro and cb is Jodie Foster. But then who are Ronald Reagan and John Hinckley, Jr., much less James Brady? Could religion and spirituality have stopped this assassination attempt on The Gipper?
My2 is both DeNiro and Foster. I don't figure into it at all.

Old 01-25-2023, 07:52 AM

9,364 posts, read 13,028,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
My2 is both DeNiro and Foster. I don't figure into it at all.
I thought myuen2 had directed his post at cb(gb?), which would make for a far better-fitting narrative. Mea culpa.

I dig your alternative assessment, though, even if it leaves the the remaining cast and characters open to interpretation.

Old 01-25-2023, 09:35 AM

16,006 posts, read 7,059,800 times
Quote:

Great scene, great dialog. I need to find this movie and watch it again.

Old 01-25-2023, 10:54 AM

29,554 posts, read 9,751,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I am glad you found it to your liking, LearnMe. Pleasantly surprised. I think these kinds of words that arise from thoughtful observations take time to take hold and settle in. Throughout the thickness of living the life given to us, parenting, accumulating wealth, managing relationships, experiencing loss and sorrow, they sink in, take root, bear fruit, and become truth. I agree not all benefit, they struggle due to incapacity to absorb it, and lack of self awareness. Ego is not real and not difficult to let go and gain peace and equanimity. Personally i cannot ask for more.
I am not sure why you are surprised, and given a few too many comments you've posted in this forum over a fair amount of time now, I'm not sure you have allowed these words of wisdom to sink in for yourself as deep as you would like to suggest, think or believe. I suspect ego is more real than you realize as well...

As my wife is often fond of pointing out; "Actions speak louder than words." -- original quote attribution: unknown! And my wife doesn't care who first said it either...

Old 01-25-2023, 10:57 AM

427 posts, read 128,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post

Yeah, I'm the Robert DeNiro character but Jodie Foster is L8, the girl who ran away from family because she thinks they are square. Do you think we spiritual types are crazies going hali mali oom all the time? We can see through the screen of Maya which you call science-based worldly life.

Moderator cut: P&OC material not allowed here.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 01-25-2023 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: Read the rules, no politics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.