Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 10:05 PM

427 posts, read 127,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
What's the matter with you?
Your the one who said a woman's only purpose is to have babies.

We're not bears. We're human. We have brains that have the ability to make choices with our lives that goes beyond primitive instinct.
We set our own purpose. I'm sorry you have no purpose in life other than to look after yourself.

Are you sorry that the heart is pumping in your body incessantly at a steady beat of 70 time or so a minute for no purpose? What about the sun rising every morning to light up your day for no purpose?

Setting your own purpose is what is wrecking all our lives and the world. And there is nothing primitive about instinct. It is the only sure thing to rely on for right action. We reject instinct and celebrate the ability to make choices, the kind that put food on your table and none on others.

We are not human. We have become inhuman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2023, 05:47 AM

1,750 posts, read 753,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
It's strange that you would bring up Rachel Carson. She is such a blast from the past. She predates feminism if that is what you intend to invoke.

Mine is a spiritual viewpoint of one's vocation, not as a psychological product of culture but as a creation and part of the order of nature.
I brought up Rachel Carson, because I did her for my project in AP US History a few years ago and she is an amazing woman with more than 1 calling in her life.

Quote:
Of course, she is a mess and typical of young women these days. They view their traditional role as mothers as backward and want to climb the stairway to the stars.
I do not view my role as a mother as backwards....just felt that maybe I was missing out on other things at age 21. My friend also was jealous of me for being in my role as a mother and wife. So... I am not sure what you are seeing.

Old 01-14-2023, 07:14 AM

9,327 posts, read 13,001,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
That is another incorrect statement. People marry at many different ages. Since college education has become more common, marrying at age 22 or 23 has become almost a norm, but people marry at whatever time is right in each individual case. In order to make sure the partnership is right, much time needs to be devoted to the relationship before marriage.

[. . .]

Many people have babies in their 30s, and even in their 40s. Advancements in medical science have made this much safer than it was a century ago. Innocence has nothing to do with it. Romeo and Juliet were children, just past puberty. I guess William Shakespeare was a pervert by your reasoning.
As of 2021, the median ages of American men and women at their first marriages are 30.6 and 28.6–older than its ever been.

The median age of the American first-time mother is now 30. I couldn’t quickly find recent median age figures for first time American fathers, and consistency is important because the average ages of first-time parents (though not first-time brides and grooms) are much lower. This reflects another fairly recent phenomenon: Americans with higher levels of education are now more likely to marry than their less-educated counterparts. Less-educated Americans still bear more children and begin doing so at earlier ages. They’re just more likely to do so outside of marriage (whether or not they’re in a committed, marriage-like relationship).

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 01-14-2023 at 07:28 AM..

Old 01-14-2023, 07:39 AM

15,956 posts, read 7,018,630 times
Quote:
Are you sorry that the heart is pumping in your body incessantly at a steady beat of 70 time or so a minute for no purpose? What about the sun rising every morning to light up your day for no purpose?

Setting your own purpose is what is wrecking all our lives and the world. And there is nothing primitive about instinct. It is the only sure thing to rely on for right action. We reject instinct and celebrate the ability to make choices, the kind that put food on your table and none on others.

We are not human. We have become inhuman.
We can set our own purpose. Out karmic tendencies, instincts, are what lead us to set our individual purpose - make a lot of money; marry a good person; retire early and enjoy life; enter a seminary and become a monk. People are drawn to their purpose. That does not mean all of them will yield what we all seek - freedom from fear and feeling of inadequacy. That requires introspection, mindfulness, and knowledge of what path will deliver us freedom. Gaining that knowledge will lead us to a purpose that does not come instinctively for most of us. Perhaps Maslow’s theory. It is a personal evolution.

The purpose of body is to attain that ultimate purpose of liberation. It is a means, not an end by itself. Like all means it needs to be kept in good repair, it is a gift.
Dont you think Jesus set his own purpose? He knew his body can be tortured, but his atma, the Self, is eternal and always in bliss. He attained moksha.

Old 01-14-2023, 07:44 AM

15,956 posts, read 7,018,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I brought up Rachel Carson, because I did her for my project in AP US History a few years ago and she is an amazing woman with more than 1 calling in her life.

I do not view my role as a mother as backwards....just felt that maybe I was missing out on other things at age 21. My friend also was jealous of me for being in my role as a mother and wife. So... I am not sure what you are seeing.
A mother’s role is time bound. It changes as the children grow and become adults. It is not static. Once they are adults with their own life the role ends.
We are all more than our roles.
Love does not end ever. In fact it grows and embraces all children, not just our own bodies.

Last edited by cb2008; 01-14-2023 at 08:21 AM..

Old 01-14-2023, 07:57 AM

9,327 posts, read 13,001,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
A mother’s role is time bound. It changes as the children grow and become adults. It is not static. Once they are adults with their own life the role ends.
The role changes (or at least it should change). I don’t think it ends, short of total estrangement.

Old 01-14-2023, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post

Rachel Carson was an interesting woman. She was a positive influence (The Silent Spring). In my opinion, the environmental movement today is a perversion of her work. There were some great women (Queen Elizabeth 2, Margaret Thatcher, Amelia Earhart) who impressed me. I don't think they pushed aside motherhood because they believed it robbed women of their true calling. No healthy society denigrates devotion to and care of its most precious natural resource: children. There is a congruency between raising children and protecting natural resources. And you are the Rachel Carson for your kids. Wow, you didn't see that!

Old 01-14-2023, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
We can set our own purpose. Out karmic tendencies, instincts, are what lead us to set our individual purpose - make a lot of money; marry a good person; retire early and enjoy life; enter a seminary and become a monk. People are drawn to their purpose. That does not mean all of them will yield what we all seek - freedom from fear and feeling of inadequacy. That requires introspection, mindfulness, and knowledge of what path will deliver us freedom. Gaining that knowledge will lead us to a purpose that does not come instinctively for most of us. Perhaps Maslow’s theory. It is a personal evolution.

The purpose of body is to attain that ultimate purpose of liberation. It is a means, not an end by itself. Like all means it needs to be kept in good repair, it is a gift.
Dont you think Jesus set his own purpose? He knew his body can be tortured, but his atma, the Self, is eternal and always in bliss. He attained moksha.

My view of Jesus is that of a person who treaded a path not of his own choosing. To choose is to live the life of the self. And each step the self takes on the path it chooses leads into a world created by the mind: Maya, the prison of atheism.

This is why I deny myself of purpose, ignoring the voice in my head urging me to find one that promise fulfillment. I stay very still and attend to my calling: tending only to the body (and my children, if I have them). It's not easy but I am aware that if I forsake my calling, disaster awaits.

Old 01-14-2023, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
The role changes (or at least it should change). I don’t think it ends, short of total estrangement.

Of course, it ends. It's over. How does the role of motherhood change? There are no grandmother bears in nature.

Old 01-14-2023, 10:49 AM

deleted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality