Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 06:15 PM

9,327 posts, read 13,001,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myuen2 View Post
You chose the narrow but right path of motherhood while your friend followed the rest of her kind down the wide path to perdition.
One of Paul Newman’s last movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2023, 07:28 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There is a word for it, but we are precluded from using it, Tzaph!
You COULD have reported it as such, though...

Old 01-21-2023, 05:11 AM

15,956 posts, read 7,018,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You COULD have reported it as such, though...
Is that a recommendation?

Old 01-26-2023, 12:29 PM

29,543 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I had an old HS friend visit me not that long ago....and I was at times envious of her...not majorly...but a tad.

She's getting close to finishing college and she always shows herself having fun online at college, talks about how great her career choices will be online, she is so smart and earning good grades. She's tall, beautiful blonde hair, she knows how to do makeup and she can bake well. It feels like she has a certain freedom and capability that I don't have as a young stay at home mom.

When she came over she had so much fun with my two boys and after awhile she broke down about how lucky I am...that she is miserable and doesn't like her major...but wants to get out of college so she won't change her major...her parents are starting to cut her off financially...her bf is on and off and stressing her out. She told me that she was jealous of me having a stable husband, stable finances, that I am fit and can find time to eat right and do aerobics, she thinks she's put on weight...she really hasn't... and my boys being cute...

I think the lesson is that both of us need to focus more on our positives that we already have, rather than what we don't have.

So weird for us each to think the other has it better....
Not as weird as you seem to think...

You start by admitting you were envious of your friend, by admiring or wishing you had what she seemed to have. Been a few threads in this forum going on about this sort of thing lately. Must be something in the air going around. About how the "grass looks greener on the other side," or how we are either satisfied with what we have and who we are or not, and what to do when not.

All that aside, did/does it make you feel better to share this story about how your friend actually thought you were the lucky one? Proud of the reasons she thought so?

The lesson you think we should all draw from this story is a good one. We'd all do well to better appreciate our blessings and not dwell on what we don't have. Also not to let others determine our happiness by comparison. The old "keeping up with the Joneses" problem that tends to be such a problem for too many people these days. All the worse thanks to sharing all our best smiles on social media. Now causing too many teens to get all wrapped up in that sort of thing too.

Good luck to all of us when it comes to this sort of thing!

Old 02-01-2023, 02:27 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,501 times
Quote:
Fatherhood is not a natural calling. It is a cultural phenomenon. There are mothers in nature. Maternal instinct is natural. Paternal instinct is cultivated and legislated.

I did say "Every female of the specie has babies".

And I also did say "In my opinion, motherhood is the only calling for a person with a female body."

There are salient differences between your paraphrases and my actual statements. Can you see them? I like your questions but the inferences in them detract from the spiritual ethics issue I am alluding to.

Let's be clear about our respective perceptions of reality. I assume you are speaking from the standpoint of atheism. To you the female comes in one package comprising the psychological person (mind) and the physical organism (body). The jury is still out with regard to the package as the hard problem of consciousness is still unresolved in the world of science.

My spiritual perspective regard a person as the state of awareness of the world in which it is yoked to a human body. The responsibility of the person is to the welfare of the body. The body has no calling. Motherhood is the calling of the person minding the female body.

Female bodies that are unable to produce babies are unusual. If I am a person with a female body and it is infertile, it is not a big deal. If I am predisposed to liking children, I go work in a nursery or kindergarten for kids. If I am not, then I take up any career I want.
According to your claims, hawks, owls , and corvidaes are not part of nature because both parents raise their young and in the case of some jays lasrvyears young also help. And female cuckoos do not spend any time raising their young. In some bird species the males do most of the rearing. As well homosexuality has been observed in many species as has murder and rape.
Yes humans are animals however not all animal species operate as you believe andvhence your notion o what is natural is shrewed by your own heliefs.

And women are indivuduals first and formost. Not baby making machines or the property of a man. Ifva woman wanhts to have children and spend her time raising them or be a working mother or to be a working persin without children that is her choice not yours or mine

Old 02-01-2023, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Of course, it ends. It's over. How does the role of motherhood change? There are no grandmother bears in nature.
Are there no grandmothers in other species such as chimps, elephants or orca?

There are no herds in bears so are elk and wilderbeast unnatural?

Male bears do not assist ib raising their young so are eagles and robins unnatural?

Bears do not form long term realationahips so are swans and wolves unnatural?

Bears do not make tools so are humans, ravens and chimps unnatural?

Not all societies are as gender bias as western civilization so are they then natural?

Old 02-03-2023, 08:05 PM

427 posts, read 127,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
According to your claims, hawks, owls , and corvidaes are not part of nature because both parents raise their young and in the case of some jays lasrvyears young also help. And female cuckoos do not spend any time raising their young. In some bird species the males do most of the rearing. As well homosexuality has been observed in many species as has murder and rape.
Yes humans are animals however not all animal species operate as you believe andvhence your notion o what is natural is shrewed by your own heliefs.

And women are indivuduals first and formost. Not baby making machines or the property of a man. Ifva woman wanhts to have children and spend her time raising them or be a working mother or to be a working persin without children that is her choice not yours or mine

Your claims about about animal parental behavior are based on published research. You are entitled to draw your conclusions. No one can really know why birds behave the way they do. My focus is on personal conduct for people in a Christian society. In which case, humans are not animals; and a person with a female body lives the life of a mother devoted to the raising of offspring.

Old 02-04-2023, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Your claims about about animal parental behavior are based on published research. You are entitled to draw your conclusions. No one can really know why birds behave the way they do. My focus is on personal conduct for people in a Christian society. In which case, humans are not animals; and a person with a female body lives the life of a mother devoted to the raising of offspring.
Ao in your mind a person in a female body has no choice but ti do as you believe ? What eo yoy mean by a Chrustian society?

If your focus is conduct on people in a Christiab society do not make false, incomplete or inaccurate ckaims about the animal world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality