Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 03:56 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times

Advertisements

I betcha the 100s of stranded passengers would like Christmas when it isn't blizzardy.
That's mainly my point...it's a hard time of year for any type of traveling.

Of course, any family could change it for themselves if they wanted better travel.
Since Santa doesn't exist!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2022, 09:02 AM

7,329 posts, read 4,121,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Why not! We change our clocks for human convenience...
We change our school openings and closings...
why not change Christmas for saving lives and keeping our airlines in business?
This Christmas travel obsession is killing people!
Christmas is in winter only in the northern half of our planet. In the southern hemisphere, Christmas is a beach holiday.

St. John the Baptist

Quote:
. The Gospel According to Mark presents Jesus as the hidden Messiah, known only to a narrow circle, and John as the one who had to “come first to restore all things” but who also remained hidden and suffered death with little acknowledgment of his true status (Mark 9).
Quote:
In Matthew 3, John says, “He who is coming after me is mightier than I”; this might refer to God himself, a human messiah, or a transcendent divine being. He also says, “I baptize you with water…; he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire”; this second baptism might symbolize the judgment the one coming would carry out.
https://www.britannica.com/biography...hn-the-Baptist

St. John was famous as a great prophet in his lifetime. His feast day is on the the brightest day of the year. The summer solstice 2023 is June 21 and St. John the Baptist's feast day is June 23rd. After the summer solstice, the days and John's fame decreases.

Christ was unknown at the time of his birth until the Wedding at Cana. His early life/purpose was hidden to the general public. His feast (Christmas Day) is the shortest day of the year - December 25th - about the time of the winter solstice December 21st. As the year advances, the days and Christ's mission grows brighter.

It's poetic and symbolic rather than the actual day.

Santa is St. Nicholas who actually did exist.

Old 12-30-2022, 10:34 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Enjoy her company!
Thank you, we had a great time. But now she is spending New Year with my little brother in Berlin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A bit wistful this week as "Memories" pop up on FB of my mother at Christmas three and four years ago. Nice to "see" her, though. Today was a nice photo from 2018 of my daughter (31 now) sitting on my mother's lap. She never got too old for that. They were very close. It made me smile.
We did this the traditional way and looked at actual photographs and movies, we have a large collection. Unfortunately not too many of my Grandfather, he was always busy doing other things.

Old 12-31-2022, 08:28 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
Quote:
Sure. Why not. Let's get right on that.

Old 12-31-2022, 11:11 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Sure. Why not. Let's get right on that.
It's easy. Just cross out "Christmas" on December 25 on your calendar, write it in the square on a date you like better, put up your tree, and let your family know to come visit you then!

Old 12-31-2022, 03:35 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,336,634 times
As Christian, I feel hypocritical celebrating much of what christmas has become.

Old 01-01-2023, 05:09 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,083,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
As Christian, I feel hypocritical celebrating much of what christmas has become.
I consider Christmas to be a high point of my Aestheticism. Christmas has a special beauty among Christian Holidays that make it unique. While all religions can offer some degree of beauty, and at times more than others, Christmas remains to highest point to religious holidays in my life.

Old 01-04-2023, 03:27 AM

7,183 posts, read 4,765,000 times
Quote:
What?! And not make all that money from Christmas shopping?

Lookout! Some Christmas warriors might call you a godless commie and ask for your head!

I think it’s a good idea. Move Christmas to the beginning of October. The spring can get kind of messy with Easter.

Old 01-04-2023, 10:05 AM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I consider Christmas to be a high point of my Aestheticism. Christmas has a special beauty among Christian Holidays that make it unique. While all religions can offer some degree of beauty, and at times more than others, Christmas remains the highest point of religious holidays in my life.
I know you do not mean it in this way, KingCat but it also celebrates the single most important event in human history, IMO. The incarnation of God's Holy Spirit into humanity.

Old 01-04-2023, 07:16 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,336,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I know you do not mean it in this way, KingCat but it also celebrates the single most important event in human history, IMO. The incarnation of God's Holy Spirit into humanity.

I don't disagree with you, and KingCat.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to avoid reminders of, and participating in, other "rituals" that fog up my lens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality