Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2022, 07:47 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post

No, the slowest time of year is between New Years and Easter with pretty close to four solid months without any major holidays - now that Easter comes at the very end of April. And let's face it, Easter really isn't that great of a holiday. Now, when you wake up and realize you have to wait 4 whole months for a holiday - and it's only about rabbits laying eggs and kids looking for baskets anyway.
You are lucky you are too young to remember Easter when it was colored hard boiled eggs.

You'd have to color their shells (or your mom would) and then you'd have to go hunt them. And then you'd have this collection of colored shelled hard boiled eggs. Hooray!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2022, 08:45 AM

16,756 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Actually that's not necessarily true. You still have Halloween and Thanksgiving and New Years in that time frame to celebrate - and Guy Fawkes Day in England. Diwali in India, etc etc.

No, the slowest time of year is between New Years and Easter with pretty close to four solid months without any major holidays - now that Easter comes at the very end of April. And let's face it, Easter really isn't that great of a holiday. It's the most religious of all the major holidays giving non-Christians little to do or celebrate. Valentines Day is just a Hallmark Holiday designed to empty everyone's wallets buying flowers and candy and things - which makes no real sense. As if you need an actual day on the calendar to do something special for your lover. I never cared for Valentine's Day because getting a dozen roses or a big heart-shaped box of mystery chocolates (most of which taste like crap anyway) on a specific day seemed too contrived. I'm getting those gifts because the calendar told my boyfriend to give them - not because my boyfriend just wanted to do that for me. If February 14th wasn't Valentines Day, would I be getting gifts? Yeah - prolly not.

But yeah, Christmas in late February or early March would be awesome.
Carnival.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival

And it is still a religious festival.

Old 12-28-2022, 10:45 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Well, there's Candlemas/Imbolc/Brigid's Day on February 1-2. Time to prepare for spring, plan your garden, check your seed supply, enjoy the lengthening days.

Old 12-28-2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, there's Candlemas/Imbolc/Brigid's Day on February 1-2. Time to prepare for spring, plan your garden, check your seed supply, enjoy the lengthening days.
We call it Hypapante, but it is a poor replacement for Christmas.

Old 12-28-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
We call it Hypapante, but it is a poor replacement for Christmas.
Wasn't saying it is a replacement for Christmas, just that there are other observations in between Christmas and Easter.

Old 12-28-2022, 01:09 PM

16,661 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Wasn't saying it is a replacement for Christmas, just that there are other observations in between Christmas and Easter.
Ground Hog Day is in there too.

Don't forget St. Patrick's Day.

Old 12-29-2022, 06:39 AM

Quote:
My apologies, my Mother is visiting, so I am not as focused on the conversation as I usually am.

Old 12-29-2022, 01:36 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
That is a great point; aside from tradition and habituation, Christmas provides a "reason" to spend lots of $ that wouldn't otherwise exist. And the system is getting desperate as it collapses under its own weight, so it is even less likely to want to keep retail in the winter doldrums.
As I become less materialistic, I contribute less to the global impact of economic excess evidenced at the retailers in December. In fact, if more people followed my lead, the acquisition of goods would impact the season as more people turn to inward creativity and aesthetic appreciation as opposed to hoarding and gifting. And I would be public Enemy #1 in the sight of Macy's and JC Penneys.
the best gifts turned out to be tickets to events , such as "an evening with a Mel Torme impersonator" and "Cane fishing off the 201 bypass"

Purchasing a new item starts a chain of destruction upon our planets and inhabitants. First, oil must be extracted at great pollutive cost to the world , resulting in groundwater contamination, ocean pollution and carbon output to transport it to the refinery, where it must further pollute the air to be manufactured into plastic. From that plastic, the item must be manufactured in a Chinese sweat shop where 13 year old girls spend 10 to 12 hours a day working for 3 Yuan a day under the watchful eye of giant portraits of King Jong-un only to have to ship the item back to the USA where it can be placed then under the Christmas tree. On Dec 26th, the process starts in reverse, as the item is returned to china, disassembled at the components resold to Indian factories where 5 year olf kids paint them silver and gold and post them for sale on Ebay under the brand names of Rolex or Gucci......

OK well you get the idea.

When I was a kid, we celebrated so few holidays (We were not allowed to have fun) that I remember by Mid March Spring Break I was about insane at never having had a break since New Years.

Now, we celebrate many Holidays. January or Feb is always set for a short vacation. Some places like Snow Mountain and Skiers Cove are crowded and expensive, but other places, like Michigan amusement parks are practically empty.
Vegas is next month.
Feb we always celebrate Presidents day by having a meal and then playing presidential impersonations, like saying "Well I m Not a Crook..." and then the others have to guess which one is being impersonated.

March is big for St Patricks day. Less so without the amount of drinking I used to do, it was one year that I staggered home from Beef O'Brady's (a very Irish name) on st Patricks day and found the receipt was for well over $50 ...that is a lot of Guinness.....

April is a celebration called "say goodbye to any decent weather until November " here in Florida. It is also Easter, which I do not celebrate or observe. May is a fun holiday month. Mothers day of course. I used to put a communist flag in front of the house for May Day, but in today's world, most younger people do not know who East Germany or the Soviet Union were so we instead put out energy into a massive Indy 500 weekend spread....

June is Flag Day, and we always make flag colored cupcakes, pies, steaks and red white and blue mashed potatoes, but not the same as the ones for July 4th. July 5th is celebrated as "Sweep the street day" meaning that someone, and it always ends up being me, has to take a trashcan and broom around the neighborhood sweeping all the sidewalks, driveways and picking up remnants of used fireworks from the night before.

August is a month that needs a good Holiday, or even better, a two week vacation as far north or maybe to the Antarctic out of the Florida heat. When the kittens were younger, we celebrated the first day back to school, but now, as they are full grown (more or less) a week in New England or Canada is far better.

September os a very huge month. Birthdays, Labor Day, first day of football, first day of Fall, decorating for Halloween. And Halloween here encompasses all of October (which diminishes Columbus day sadly) just as Christmas encompases all of December. Which leaves November as Veterans Day, Thanksgivin and more football......

Point is, when would we do Christmas if not December? I don't think it would work anywhere else.

Ask the people here who live in New Zealand who sing"In the beak Midwinter" at Christmas Eve mass just as the sun is disappearing for a couple of hours .....

People there may feel that they are missing out on something....kind of like Texas Ranger's fans in April to October.

Of course, we can find a day to celebrate any day we want. May 4th is a Star Wars day, "May the 4th be with you" and the next day "revenge of May 5th" Aug 19th is Talk like Jar Jar day and Sept 19 is talk like a Pirate Day. If boredom is an issue, then we could get the community together and schedule a huge week-long or weekend festival around talking like JarJar Binks.....we could have carnival rides, contests, meals, film festivals...this would bring in some of the money that retail lost out on because of my non-materialism this year.

And feel free to make up your own holiday. Nothing at all wrong with that.

But alas, let us leave Christmas where it is, for most of us enjoy it as it is, and it was summed up best by our own phetaroi who suggests "Leave well enough alone. Don't hope for something that will merely cause public dissension."

Old 12-29-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
My apologies, my Mother is visiting, so I am not as focused on the conversation as I usually am.
Enjoy her company! A bit wistful this week as "Memories" pop up on FB of my mother at Christmas three and four years ago. Nice to "see" her, though. Today was a nice photo from 2018 of my daughter (31 now) sitting on my mother's lap. She never got too old for that. They were very close. It made me smile.

Old 12-29-2022, 02:29 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Chances of Christmas being changed to another time of the year = 0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality