Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2022, 11:12 AM

9,411 posts, read 11,156,929 times

Advertisements

I'll have a word with God or Jesus about this. I'm sure they'll be glad to accommodate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2022, 05:37 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,958,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
I'll have a word with God or Jesus about this. I'm sure they'll be glad to accommodate.
Jesus already communicated that we are only to remember his annual day of death - Luke 22:19
On the Jewish calendar that would be the Spring month of Nisan the 14th day.

Old 12-25-2022, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
As a former retail person I always felt that Christmas should be assigned to the letter of your last name. There are 26 letters to the alphabet. So just have two or three "letters" celebrate Christmas each month. December was a nightmare doing retail in terms of the work. But a huge portion of your yearly sales came from that month.
My aunt used to say Christmas was just a way to keep the economy going.
So, it will be No wonder that the business people will mourn the loss of corrupted religion.
Not because of loss of life but because of the loss of revenue - Revelation 18:11-15

Old 12-25-2022, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
You've probably read this before: ''The birth of Jesus was in mid-summer................''
Jesus was executed in the Spring month of Nisan the 14th day on the Jewish calendar.
Jesus was 33 1/2 years old when he was executed, so Jesus would have turned 34 in the Autumn of the year.
End of September beginning of October.

Old 12-26-2022, 07:00 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,974,055 times
No, keep Christmas where it is, it breaks up the winter.

Old 12-26-2022, 08:35 AM

995 posts, read 784,547 times
8. The Birth of Jesus
122:8.1 (1351.5) All that night Mary was restless so that neither of them slept much. By the break of day the pangs of childbirth were well in evidence, and at noon, August 21, 7 b.c., with the help and kind ministrations of women fellow travelers, Mary was delivered of a male child. Jesus of Nazareth was born into the world, was wrapped in the clothes which Mary had brought along for such a possible contingency, and laid in a near-by manger.

122:8.2 (1351.6) In just the same manner as all babies before that day and since have come into the world, the promised child was born; and on the eighth day, according to the Jewish practice, he was circumcised and formally named Joshua (Jesus).

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book...-infancy-jesus

Old 12-26-2022, 09:21 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
Quote:
Why not! We change our clocks for human convenience...
We change our school openings and closings...
why not change Christmas for saving lives and keeping our airlines in business?
This Christmas travel obsession is killing people!
June through November is hurricane season, so if the issue is avoiding large-scale weather events then autumn is out (along with summer). Some of the most severe blizzards in American history (such as 1993's Storm of the Century) occur in March, so that leaves only April and May.

Presumably, you're going to have to move Thanksgiving to this time period as well, as it's an even bigger travel event than Christmas.

I don't see adding yet two more major holidays to springtime (in addition to Easter and the traditional week of spring break) is going to hold much appeal for the public.

Oh, and as for "Let's move the holidays to increase returns for United Airlines shareholders!" as having widespread appeal? Good luck with that.

And I say this as someone whose son is in Brooklyn, having been supposed to fly to the upper Midwest on the morning of the 24th and now hoping to arrive tomorrow.

Old 12-27-2022, 11:04 AM

11,073 posts, read 7,142,399 times
Quote:
Why not! ...This Christmas travel obsession is killing people!
If a different time of year, people would just travel extensively then. It wouldn't change anything.

Other people traveling is a choice and freedom you can't control or take away.

I neither give a d@mn about other people traveling, nor feel compelled to do it myself. The result? Peace and comfortability. Maybe you should give that a try.

Old 12-27-2022, 12:02 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Leave well enough alone. Don't hope for something that will merely cause public dissension.

Old 12-28-2022, 07:06 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,321,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Agreed!

But big money is involved. I’d be surprised if corporate America and their powerful political influence will let that happen.
Without Christmas, this would be THE SLOWEST season of the year for big businesses. But they turned it into the most profitable season of the year. I don’t think they are going back.
Actually that's not necessarily true. You still have Halloween and Thanksgiving and New Years in that time frame to celebrate - and Guy Fawkes Day in England. Diwali in India, etc etc.

No, the slowest time of year is between New Years and Easter with pretty close to four solid months without any major holidays - now that Easter comes at the very end of April. And let's face it, Easter really isn't that great of a holiday. It's the most religious of all the major holidays giving non-Christians little to do or celebrate. Valentines Day is just a Hallmark Holiday designed to empty everyone's wallets buying flowers and candy and things - which makes no real sense. As if you need an actual day on the calendar to do something special for your lover. I never cared for Valentine's Day because getting a dozen roses or a big heart-shaped box of mystery chocolates (most of which taste like crap anyway) on a specific day seemed too contrived. I'm getting those gifts because the calendar told my boyfriend to give them - not because my boyfriend just wanted to do that for me. If February 14th wasn't Valentines Day, would I be getting gifts? Yeah - prolly not.

But yeah, Christmas in late February or early March would be awesome. That way, when you wake up all hungover after that New Year's party, you still have something on the horizon to look forward to. Now, when you wake up and realize you have to wait 4 whole months for a holiday - and it's only about rabbits laying eggs and kids looking for baskets anyway. Only thing for adults to do is slave in the kitchen and go to church. Few families really get together for Easter dinner these days.

Having Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas and New Years all smashed together during the worst weather of the year really sucks. I was supposed to get together with an old friend from college this Christmas - but no. Because the weather screwed everything up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality