Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Eye color of Jesus
Blue 6 18.75%
Brown 19 59.38%
Green 2 6.25%
other 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2022, 06:49 PM

19,979 posts, read 13,459,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
Good point.

Well, if Jesus had a beard, I’ll try to accept them.
I got to thinking of all the pictures of Romans without beards and broke down and looked into it.

Shaving is 60,000 years old supposedly, but I was partly right, the more money you had, the less body hair. Because the wealthy could afford razors made of copper or even gold. The polloi generally had to content themselves with scrubbing hair off with pumice stones, or plucking hairs one by one, or both.

In hot and humid climates people were more motivated to remove hair. Egyptians (men and women) shaved themselves from head to toe, but then weirdly used wigs or even fake beards because to appear in public totally bald was a social faux pas. I guess they just wanted to be comfortable when sleeping or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2022, 07:20 AM

10,529 posts, read 6,162,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
And/or performed some kind of miracle / illusion to have people see a different color than what was there.

The plot thickens in this most significant of questions ever asked. LOL

Apparently his eye color was brown. CD posters voted on it, so it must be true.

Old 12-15-2022, 09:13 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,948,525 times
It would be nice if he looked like Jesus in "The Chosen" but in all honesty, it doesn't matter in the slightest to me what color His eyes, skin, and hair color were. Jeesh,trolls can ask the stupidest questions online.

Old 12-15-2022, 11:45 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It would be nice if he looked like Jesus in "The Chosen" but in all honesty, it doesn't matter in the slightest to me what color His eyes, skin, and hair color were. Jeesh,trolls can ask the stupidest questions online.
You know, you are not supposed to call other members trolls, but since this one actually WAS, has been banned as such, and is no longer a member...

Old 12-16-2022, 03:52 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Or they knew better but just went for what was more relatable to their audience, and/or what their patrons were willing to pay for.
This is it.

The figure of Moses - ie, someone living at that place and time - would have almost certainly not looked like Charlton Heston. But the makers of The Ten Commandments were looking to sell tickets, not be historically accurate.

This is pretty ordinary practice for media. It's the same reason the characters in The Lion in Winter speak modern English - the American and British audiences which were being targeted didn't want to hear Old French.

Religion is selling something. Not (generally) in financial terms, but it is trying to appeal to people. The more those people can relate to that religion's 'main characters', the more likely they are to buy into the pitch.

Old 12-16-2022, 04:05 PM

25,948 posts, read 22,102,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's fine. But it's not fine that many christians have westernized a Middle Eastern figure.
Honestly, and I am familiar with a lot of "Christians", some so fine certain "types" of people more desirable, so I would guess they would want to envision Jesus as looking like that. For decades now, enough Middle Eastern people have been on the news, TV and in the movies, so not knowing how in general they look.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
This is it.

The figure of Moses - ie, someone living at that place and time - would have almost certainly not looked like Charlton Heston. But the makers of The Ten Commandments were looking to sell tickets, not be historically accurate.

This is pretty ordinary practice for media. It's the same reason the characters in The Lion in Winter speak modern English - the American and British audiences which were being targeted didn't want to hear Old French.

Religion is selling something. Not (generally) in financial terms, but it is trying to appeal to people. The more those people can relate to that religion's 'main characters', the more likely they are to buy into the pitch.
Awesome! Yes, that is basically where this was going. And, since this isn't the "Christianity" area, I would not see why there would be a problem discussing this subject on the forum, as if "googles" it, there are numerous forum discussions and articles on this very subject.

I do remember as a child seeing the light skinned, light haired and blue-eyed Jesus, and being stumped to how that could have come about. In the area where I lived and the time, it was common to see the portraits of Jesus practically everywhere someone looked, so this particular one stuck out as being confusing to me as a child. I was stumped? Not so stumped decades later.

I found this article, and it is excellent tracing the different "depictions" throughout history. Even if you don't care one way or the other about eye, skin and hair color, it has a lot of informational details from a historical point. Now, I know that I have "black" Jesus too in the recent past.

https://theconversation.com/the-long...uropean-142130

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 12-16-2022 at 05:13 PM..

Old 12-16-2022, 11:07 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,085,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Amerikan View Post
It's amusing that Jesus is commonly pictured as having blue eyes but doubtful that he did.
Why is this myth perpetuated?
Most serial killers have/had blue eyes, as did Hitler.
It’s marketing and big business.

There was some research that indicated that Jesus was not even born in the cold season.
December 25th in itself is a mystery - just like the blue eyes.

Old 12-16-2022, 11:14 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post

There was some research that indicated that Jesus was not even born in the cold season.
Not a mystery. Many ancient cultures, particularly in Europe, saw the time of the Solstice as the time of rebirth and new light. Christianity co-opted the observance of those times, and the theme fit.

The blue eyes are no mystery, either. Medieval European standards leaned toward "fair". Lighter hair, pail skin, blue eyes. That was the ideal of beauty, and it showed in art.

Old 12-16-2022, 11:54 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,994,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post

Pagan origins, if you ask some groups (like JWs).
But Jesus would have looked like most others in his own ethno-religious group.

Old 12-17-2022, 05:14 AM

6,792 posts, read 2,900,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
This is it.

Actually, I remember seeing Ben Hur back in 1959 and I thought that the main character of Judah Ben Hur was played by Moses.

Since I'm in levity mode, John Shelby Spong tells (or told, RIP Bishop) that he always thought Jesus was a Swede due to the pictures he'd seen of Him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality