Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2022, 03:27 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,143,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Global warming has an actual cause. That cause can be addressed. Hint: it is not the wrath of god.

Russia is threatening Ukraine much more than Israel at the moment. There are actual causes for that as well, going back almost a decade proximally and in some ways for hundreds of years. Hint: it is not the wrath of god

There are reasons to hope (a guttering candle of hope, but hope nonetheless). But the victory of one imaginary being over another is not one of those reasons.

One cannot solve problems without an accurate diagnosis. Everything is at the end of a causal chain -- cause and effect -- some better understood than others. It is not the whim of some supernatural entity. It is us. And we had better learn to get a grip on ourselves and quit palming it all off on God's Plan.
Of course, all of these things have causes, and science can (and does) certainly tell us why global warming is happening. (Hint: it’s human activity!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So god really isn't all powerful.
Nope, God is all-powerful. God created EVERYTHING (and I don’t mean “created in six days as described in Genesis”); I mean that God did make EVERYTHING, including the laws of science, the laws of evolution, scientists, science and human brainpower and ingenuity. So while global warming is happening, and people are to blame for it, if we understand the entire universe as made by God and under God’s control, people’s responsibility for global warming is not inconsistent with God’s power.

The fact that the entire universe is made and under the watch of God, who loves each one of us immensely, and whose love will prevail in the end, is certainly reassuring in a scary time.

Old 12-11-2022, 04:05 PM

51,152 posts, read 24,624,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
Of course, all of these things have causes, and science can (and does) certainly tell us why global warming is happening. (Hint: it’s human activity!)

Nope, God is all-powerful. God created EVERYTHING (and I don’t mean “created in six days as described in Genesis”); I mean that God did make EVERYTHING, including the laws of science, the laws of evolution, scientists, science and human brainpower and ingenuity. So while global warming is happening, and people are to blame for it, if we understand the entire universe as made by God and under God’s control, people’s responsibility for global warming is not inconsistent with God’s power.

The fact that the entire universe is made and under the watch of God, who loves each one of us immensely, and whose love will prevail in the end, is certainly reassuring in a scary time.
So god is all powerful...but he still hasn't defeated Satan. Something wrong there.

Old 12-11-2022, 04:30 PM

7,616 posts, read 6,126,070 times
Quote:
So god is all powerful...but he still hasn't defeated Satan. Something wrong there.
He also has yet to cure a plethora of diseases he created, meaning that while "god" cannot create a rock too heavy to lift, he can create diseases that he cannot cure.

And he cannot fix global warming either. But we as humans can. It will take making a few changes, something that scares certain people. Some don't even like the word "change"...but we as humans can figure out how to solve this problem as long as we put aside superstition and myths and focus on factual answers explored by science and technology.

Old 12-11-2022, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
He also has yet to cure a plethora of diseases he created, meaning that while "god" cannot create a rock too heavy to lift, he can create diseases that he cannot cure.

And he cannot fix global warming either. But we as humans can. It will take making a few changes, something that scares certain people. Some don't even like the word "change"...but we as humans can figure out how to solve this problem as long as we put aside superstition and myths and focus on factual answers explored by science and technology.
Quote:
God can and will eliminate every evil, every disease and every suffering. On God’s time, not ours.

Old 12-11-2022, 05:15 PM

7,616 posts, read 6,126,070 times
Quote:
God can and will eliminate every evil, every disease and every suffering. On God’s time, not ours.
Proof? Evidence? Examples?

Didn't think so.

That is like me telling a client "Oh I am sorry you are suicidal. Go ahead and kill yourself, and I'll get back in touch with you and your family in a few years and talk about what we can do to help you.."

Of course by then, it is too late.

So it is with this "God's time" you speak.....seems to me that there is much that this God cannot do. First and foremost is to convince me that he even exists!

Old 12-11-2022, 05:20 PM

20,460 posts, read 12,853,568 times
Quote:

Old 12-11-2022, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Proof? Evidence? Examples?

Didn't think so.

That is like me telling a client "Oh I am sorry you are suicidal. Go ahead and kill yourself, and I'll get back in touch with you and your family in a few years and talk about what we can do to help you.."

Of course by then, it is too late.

So it is with this "God's time" you speak.....seems to me that there is much that this God cannot do. First and foremost is to convince me that he even exists!
If you’re saying that God hasn’t cured diseases that God created…look at all of the diseases that have been cured, using science that God gave us. Is God just to be blamed for not curing diseases, but not credited for giving us scientific knowledge and research that have cured diseases?

I’ll be praying that God does give you the faith that will lead to the joy of knowing Him.

Old 12-11-2022, 07:17 PM

4,085 posts, read 899,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Grid Farmer View Post
Does anyone out there find it to be more than just a 'coincidence' that the Earth is warming up (and there are all these droughts and fires)and man is destroying the earth at lightning speed... And God says in the Bible that He would turn up the heat on the Earth in the last days and that He would destroy those who destroyed the Earth... Perhaps these droughts and fires are not just 'man made' but a warning from God that the way the world is operating is not acceptable; And the time of thy wrath has come and the time of judgment that thou shouldest give reward and destroy those who have destroyed the Earth. Revelation 11-18
Have you ever heard about glaciers covering much of the earth and it melting away way before cars were invented?

California wild fires are most likely started by arsonists who are not getting caught; and also, Governor Newsom did NOT maintain the forests by clearing the floors and removing dead trees because he didn't want the air pollution it would cause to maintain the forests...but that causes fires anyway and did more damage. In addition, it is said that some of the fires are started by accident because of electric utility lines.

The Bible says the earth will wear out, and that is what is happening.

Isaiah 51:6 Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look upon the earth beneath: for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment, and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner: but my salvation shall be for ever, and my righteousness shall not be abolished.

Old 12-11-2022, 07:40 PM

51,152 posts, read 24,624,493 times
Quote:
How convenient -- sort of like 'god works in mysterious ways'.

Old 12-11-2022, 07:53 PM

20,169 posts, read 13,607,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That is such an odd way for any Christian to think, given all the direness of what scripture says about stewardship and the terror of the moment the steward is called to account.
Yes I always thought so and I'm sure some Christians agree with your statement but I have heard this theological argument advanced about climate change, mainly by Biblical literalists with a pre-tribulationist eschatology.

Answers in Genesis takes this view:

Quote:
God is ultimately in control. Scripture is clear that God is sovereign over everything (Psalm 115:3), including the weather (e.g., Psalm 148:8). We certainly can impact the environment, and we do, but we are not the “be-all and end-all” of what happens here on earth; God is, and his plan will triumph. And he has revealed the end—and life on earth won’t end by man-made climate change! It’ll end when God judges the earth with fire and creates new heavens and new earth (2 Peter 3:1–13).
They go on to mention that god promises that the seasons will continue: "While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, shall not cease (Genesis 8:22)." -- although this verse says nothing about how violent or record-breaking those seasons will or won't be.

In fairness they do caution that Christians should take the same delight in creation that god does, that there is a "balance between god's sovereignty and man's responsibility" and they do mention stewardship responsibility -- but also they fret that Christians should not "live in fear" because of climate change or anything else. Which is really precious, because they try to frighten people withe THEIR predictions but don't want to be frightened by some scientist pointing to actual trends!

So basically what it boils down to is that science's existential threat has to take a back seat to god's existential threat. Which begs the question, why not both? Or why couldn't climate change be part of the mechanism of or lead-up to god "judging the earth with fire"? I can never understand why they are preaching consequences for sin in other areas but not for polluting the environment. They seem more concerned about a couple of teen-agers playing tonsil hockey than a huge corporation barfing methane or CO2 into the atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality