Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 09:52 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Been there, done that, got the tee shirt, as you know. I think you you quite often and very much empathize with your situation. I'm sure I speak for us all when I say we deeply appreciate your moderation efforts here, as well as your wonderful contributions to the conversation. It's just a forum, not a true eye-to-eye family, but I think you are beloved here and you should take what comfort there is in that.
Hear, Hear!! MQ is awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2022, 10:18 PM

2,409 posts, read 1,531,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Complex systems tend to be self-healing given a reasonable level of health.
This would work fine if they stopped making frequent, severe adjustments to the system. All the initial executive orders set the table for the increase in fuel costs. Increased fuel costs translates to increase prices in just about everything purchased for daily life. Grocery prices are obscene. And those prices, once they increase, never seem to go down.

Then all the spending with the rescue plan to the tune of almost $2billion. Coming on the heels of the covid lockdowns and subsequent slowing of the economy, it would have been more prudent to take a slow approach. Instead the spending was bound to cause rapid inflation, the likes of which the US has not seen in 40 years. All very preventable.

So hang on, it's going to be a bumpy ride before it gets any better.

Old 11-25-2022, 05:06 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Is it too much to ask that a thread in the Religion and Spirituality forum at least contain some posts that mention something relevant to Religion or Spirituality? If not, the thread will be closed.

Old 11-25-2022, 06:38 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
If this year is cursed (particularly if you pronounce "cursed" with two syllables!) who is cursing it and why?

Why does god's wrath and condemnation get so much more billing than his love and grace? Could it be that our gods are reflections of our own smallness? Could it be that the gods we invented 2,000 years ago reflect even more of that petty tribalism than if they were invented today?

What would happen if humans accepted they are responsible for making life enjoyable or miserable for themselves and others?

Old 11-25-2022, 09:08 PM

6,797 posts, read 2,911,543 times
To bring this topic back to its original intent given its inclusion in the Religion and Spirituality thread, how many Christians believe that we are presently living in the final days of earth's history? I mean, we ARE told in scripture that this WILL occur at some point in time. Do we believe this? And, if so, at what stage do we see things unfolding that might well indicate that we're approaching the soon return of Jesus Christ?

I remember at one time when some concerned folks would walk around the streets with billboards attached to them displaying the words of warning, "The End Is Nigh". Do folks still do this? Obviously, the world is still spinning decades later. But ...WILL time eventually run out for us and, as the Bible predicts, earth's history will come to a grinding halt? Are there tell-tale signs to watch out for that may indicate this? Jesus DID offer some clues to watch out for.

Are we living in the last days of earth's history? If not, will we ever reach a point where we are? Or do we always remain skeptical?

Old 11-26-2022, 07:18 AM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times
People have been saying we are living in the last days since the first days of Christianity.

A lot of the signs in Revelation that are being pointed out now as "evidence" are the same ones that were being pointed out relative to the then-current events when I was a kid in the 60s. Same with the ever-popular "America is going the way of the Roman Empire!" meme, which has also survived the past half-century.

Am I the only one here who ever had clergy point out in a sermon that Revelation was about the Roman Empire and not an end-times prediction?

I do like what Stephen King did with it, though, using Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as his messenger.

https://youtu.be/we3YuBaOIzw

Old 11-26-2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Are we living in the last days of earth's history? If not, will we ever reach a point where we are? Or do we always remain skeptical?
The last days of earth's history? Unlikely. The last days of human history? Less unlikely. The last days of human civilization as we know it? Possibly. Connected with Biblical prophecy? No. The result of cause and effect? Yes.

In decreasing order of probability, I see one of the following:

* (Not so??) gradually increasing scarcity, supply chain and economic disruptions, inequality and the resulting violence caused thereby, up to and including huge wars. The churn caused by humans trying every unsustainable and relatively easy shortcut before finally having no choice but to do the right things. And then probably still resisting doing those things, but that's okay because it's probably too late anyway. Possibly some technological leap forward with low negative environmental impact like practical fusion power could appear in time to save the day, but probably not. Those are super complex problems that can only be solved an a relatively stable and prosperous environment, and all the likely candidates seem to be perpetually 30 years away no matter what year it is; plus, fossil fuel interests keep sabotaging the required investments.

* Widespread systemic collapse of one or more kinds, either obviously climate driven and/or the result of some scorched-earth calculus by someone like Putler involving nukes. Possibly, with or without WW3 -- widespread famines. Most of us would likely return to a 17th century standard of living with questionable prospects for rebound or recovery.

* Collapses as described above, but existentially the end of human society at any sort of scale. A few desperate survivors in a Mad Max sort of world of very scarce resources. A fragmented world run by warlords, maybe.

* The decisive extinction of humanity and much of the animal world.

Since I regard the first bullet point as the most likely, I am planning with that in mind, and with the hope that it will be gradual and manageable in my remaining decade or three, and maybe give my (grand/step)children some sort of leg up. And if I'm wrong, or humanity gets some kind of substantial reprieve? Well yay us, then. But I am starting to see such hopes as delusional.

Old 11-26-2022, 09:14 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,426,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I know that most people were really excited at the beginning of 2022 because we were finally coming out of the dark days of the pandemic. However, 2022 has been an awful year for me.

For whatever reason, it’s been one of those years where it is just one thing after another. I thought that it was just me; however, the more people I speak with, the more I am hearing that they have been having similar experiences as well. The general consensus is that something isn’t right,

Suffice to say, I can’t wait for this year to be over. Is anyone else experiencing this and, if so, what is your take on it?
My awful year started in 2019 when my wife tragically passed away at the tender age of 51 ON MY BIRTHDAY. Then 2020 came and the pandemic started. 2021 wasn't any better especially with the election.

2022 has been absolutely a year of family losses for me. My aunt died in January 2022, my uncle died in April 2022, my grandmother died in September 2022, her sister, my great aunt died 6 days after my grandmother, my step grandfather died a month after my grandmother, and my step uncle died this month.

I have been a 4th grade teacher for 22 years, and I was abruptly moved to kindergarten after starting the school year with my 4th graders because the class sizes on my grade level were too low. So, for me, yes 2022 has been a very awful year.

Old 11-27-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
My awful year started in 2019 when my wife tragically passed away at the tender age of 51 ON MY BIRTHDAY. Then 2020 came and the pandemic started. 2021 wasn't any better especially with the election.

2022 has been absolutely a year of family losses for me. My aunt died in January 2022, my uncle died in April 2022, my grandmother died in September 2022, her sister, my great aunt died 6 days after my grandmother, my step grandfather died a month after my grandmother, and my step uncle died this month.

I have been a 4th grade teacher for 22 years, and I was abruptly moved to kindergarten after starting the school year with my 4th graders because the class sizes on my grade level were too low. So, for me, yes 2022 has been a very awful year.
That is a lot of concentrated personal and professional mayhem on top of everything that's going on in the world generally. My condolences -- and I hope 2023 grants you a reprieve. No one "deserves" that level of sorrow and stress ... but we get it sometimes anyway. I've buried a wife and son and had various other things happen, too, but at least these events were, for me, more spread out. Hang in there, man.

Old 11-27-2022, 09:21 AM

33,246 posts, read 26,463,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post

My condolences as well, Antredd. I can't think of anything better to say than what Mordant said in his post. Hopefully, 2023 and beyond will bring you good things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality