Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 11:27 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,085,965 times

Advertisements

How do believers and non-believers who consider themselves spiritual, look at this question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2022, 11:36 PM

22,161 posts, read 19,210,182 times
we are eternal beings having a temporary human experience.

Old 11-13-2022, 07:37 AM

19,987 posts, read 13,466,622 times
I regard it as a false human / spiritual, physical / supernatural dichotomy and a false choice.

I am a human having a human experience, because that's what humans do. This is a perfect example of begging the question by framing it as if there are not other possibilities.

Old 11-13-2022, 07:40 AM

50,784 posts, read 24,289,888 times
I think that, for the most part, we are just having a human experience, but I do not categorically deny the possibility of spiritualism....just much spiritualism. There is, I think, a tendency for humans to want to believe in spiritualism, in part because it gives them answers to questions that otherwise seem to have no answer, but also because it gives us a way to hope for immortality of sorts.

Old 11-13-2022, 07:42 AM

15,956 posts, read 7,018,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
How do believers and non-believers who consider themselves spiritual, look at this question?
I believe we live as human beings living this life in this world of pleasure and pain in ignorance of our true nature which is eternal existence of perfect fullness. There is no other heaven to be obtained than what we already are in our true self. For me spirituality means seeking to realize that state of being. Religion provides that pathway when one studies the texts carefully and slowly with understanding.

Old 11-13-2022, 08:06 AM

19,987 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think that, for the most part, we are just having a human experience, but I do not categorically deny the possibility of spiritualism....just much spiritualism. There is, I think, a tendency for humans to want to believe in spiritualism, in part because it gives them answers to questions that otherwise seem to have no answer, but also because it gives us a way to hope for immortality of sorts.
Yes it is also possible we are having a "mostly" human experience. It is possible we are spirit beings who think we're physical having a purely spiritual experience, a la The Matrix. Anything is possible. The question is what is likely.

I have a subjective / intuitive dimension to my life like everyone else, though because probably my personality as much as anything, it is not dominant and I don't lead with it. I don't label this "spiritual" though. I am able to recognize that not everything is currently explicable rationally but I don't take it so far as to think it is likely to be entirely or mostly some external force, being or principle or cosmic consciousness that is the source of my subjective feelings or intuitions or a necessary explanation for the unknown / unknowable. So far in human history the pattern has consistently been that the things we don't understand and tend to ascribe a spiritual / non-physical dimension to end up having perfectly naturalistic explanations. I don't see any reason for that to change going forward as the list of things we don't understand or know inexorably shrinks.

Old 11-13-2022, 08:45 AM

12,036 posts, read 6,565,777 times
I believe we are spiritual beings having a human experience.

But I hesitated at using the word spiritual as it gets so mixed up with organized religions.
But it works for me….

Old 11-13-2022, 10:03 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I personally lean toward the former as primary, although it could be argued that it's both. While our spirits are temporarily in this form, we have spiritual experiences.

Old 11-13-2022, 10:37 AM

1,480 posts, read 479,174 times
You cannot create the existence of time from within time.

Old 11-13-2022, 10:45 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
we are eternal beings having a temporary human experience.
About sums it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality