Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2022, 07:18 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,384,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Again you resort to making an absurd claim to explain away the fact that the Bible has a solid firmament over a flat earth. And your claim isn't even deserving of a rebuttal.
Well believe as you will but there is a dome called the ozone layer.

Do you also believe the ancient Hebrews believed the earth was square? After all scripture talks about the 4 corners of the earth.

I suppose a thousand years from now people are going to believe that people in our day actually believed it rain cats and dogs.

Sometimes mike you have to look beyond the expression to figure out what the expression is actually saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2022, 07:22 PM

Quote:
No, I am not taking the creation story in Psalm 74 any more literally than I take the creation story in Genesis literally. That is my point. But again, by your argument, that bit about God slaying a multi-headed dragon appeared first in the Bible and then was copied by the writer of the Baal Cycle. It wasn't. It appeared first in the Baal Cycle and scholars know this.
There is a big difference between what is historical and a song. Scripture says the genesis account is history and your saying it is not because someone wrote a song about it.

Old 09-13-2022, 07:40 PM

33,225 posts, read 26,429,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
There is a big difference between what is historical and a song. Scripture says the genesis account is history and your saying it is not because someone wrote a song about it.
You just can't comprehend what I'm saying to you. The material in Psalm 74 was copied from the Baal Cycle.

And I don't care what you think the Bible says about the Genesis account. It didn't happen that way and science proves that it didn't happen. The events in the Genesis creation accounts, there are two of them, and contradict each other, are no more historical than the Psalm 74 creation account which has God slaying a multi-headed sea-serpent. But I think you have a need to believe that the Genesis accounts are historical or splat goes your faith.

I'm done with this for tonight.

Old 09-13-2022, 08:07 PM

Quote:
You just can't comprehend what I'm saying to you. The material in Psalm 74 was copied from the Baal Cycle.

And I don't care what you think the Bible says about the Genesis account. It didn't happen that way and science proves that it didn't happen. The events in the Genesis creation accounts, there are two of them, and contradict each other, are no more historical than the Psalm 74 creation account which has God slaying a multi-headed sea-serpent. But I think you have a need to believe that the Genesis accounts are historical or splat goes your faith.

I'm done with this for tonight.
All that tells me is you do not understand the genesis account, which is very clear as you deny its history even though scripture says it is history.

So maybe it is actually you who does not comprehend

Old 09-13-2022, 08:16 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Mike you are taking a song as literal. People write songs as a way of expression, it is not to be taken as literal or mythological.
Christians can't have it both ways. They can't say it's a valid history of the time, and then turn around and say it's mythological.

Old 09-13-2022, 08:25 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,469,646 times
God created Adam in his own image,therefore god is human.

Old 09-13-2022, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Mike you are taking a song as literal. People write songs as a way of expression, it is not to be taken as literal or mythological.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Christians can't have it both ways. They can't say it's a valid history of the time, and then turn around and say it's mythological.
I think you missed my point.
A song is not history and mike is saying because the song is not history then neither is the genesis creation account.

We have to look beyond the wording to see what the words are in reference to as I explained with the words it’s raining cats and dogs.

People of our day know when someone says that phrase all we are referring to is a very heavy rainfall.

And just like people of our day use such phrases so to did the ANE people.

So what then is psalms 74 actually talking about in reference to leviathan.

Mike is under the impression that it is a creation account yet when read in full it is obviously actually speaking of the exodus account and has nothing to do with creation.

Here are the verses in question

For God is my King of old, working salvation in the midst of the earth.
You divided the sea by your might; you broke the heads of the sea monsters on the waters. You crushed the heads of Leviathan; you gave him as food for the creatures of the wilderness.”
(Psalm 74:12-14)

We can see that this is obviously in reference to the exodus as it speaks of salvation and the dividing of the sea.

So who or what is the leviathan?

Pharaoh and the Egyptian army.

Leviathan seems to be in reference to world powers of the day.

Now if this is true when we read in Babylonian text such as this.

When you slew the Leviathan, the fleeing serpent, [when] you finished off the twisted serpent, the powerful one of seven heads, the heavens were laid bare and languished.”
(KTU 1.5 lines 1-4)

And remember that they would use the same words of their day as we do then it becomes plain that it is not speaking of myths but speaking in reference to something else, it not really cats and dogs it just a very heavy rain, and in this case as well as what is said in palms 74 seems to be in reference to a world power.

Old 09-14-2022, 11:14 AM

6,366 posts, read 2,915,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
God created Adam in his own image,therefore god is human.

The image = the ability to love and reason.

Old 09-14-2022, 11:15 AM

Quote:
You're contradicting your original statement in post 15 which was ''God had placed the angel who came to be known as satan and devil over the Garden( earth)''. That statement implies that the entire earth at the time of the fall was the Garden (earth).

But never mind. Maybe that wasn't the meaning you meant to convey.

No it doesnt imply that the whole earth was an Eden at that point. The whole earth was there at that point.

Old 09-14-2022, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Again you resort to making an absurd claim to explain away the fact that the Bible has a solid firmament over a flat earth. And your claim isn't even deserving of a rebuttal.

The OT bible writers called the earth a circle( sphere)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality