Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 11:26 AM

11,073 posts, read 7,142,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
So you believe that Adam was created as a full blown adult and that God made a rib woman for Adam?
I really don't care about any of that, as well as the rest of the OT. Same goes for much of the NT, other than the Gospels (i.e. the essentials). When you pare things done to all that really matters, the rest is just fluff to babble and waste time on. The bible ought to only consist of the four Gospels put into one, with a bit of Acts thrown in as follow-up. Carry on though with whatever floats your boat (even if it has holes in it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2022, 11:34 AM

17,782 posts, read 13,677,875 times
I still maintain that the Garden of Eden story is about how God said...

"If you are stupid enough to move out of this equatorial zone that I put you in...where you can run around nekkid all day... You are going to regret it.

Old 09-08-2022, 11:52 AM

33,225 posts, read 26,429,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I really don't care about any of that, as well as the rest of the OT. Same goes for much of the NT, other than the Gospels (i.e. the essentials). When you pare things done to all that really matters, the rest is just fluff to babble and waste time on. The bible ought to only consist of the four Gospels put into one, with a bit of Acts thrown in as follow-up. Carry on though with whatever floats your boat (even if it has holes in it).
I'm glad you weren't in charge of deciding which books became a part of the canon.

Old 09-08-2022, 01:02 PM

11,073 posts, read 7,142,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I'm glad you weren't in charge of deciding which books became a part of the canon.
Me too, for it would have been an exercise in religious absurdity. The "canon" is something churches and puppetheads need, trying to act as God, and play God with. Sitting as though on God's throne, dispensing direction as what to include (basically the "kitchen sink") and that "more is better", when it should be quality over quantity (which we have to address on our own instead). Looks like you're heavily attached to the church like an old piece of furniture.

Taoism has gotten it right, for being concise and sufficient. Nothing weighted down with fluff and canons. The Gospels serve the same perfect function.

Old 09-08-2022, 02:56 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,915,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPHJ7 View Post
I found this article titled "What Happened in the Garden?" (November 29, 2021) posted to a blog called 'Ancient Insights'. The blog is run by an ex-Atheist and convert to Eastern Orthodoxy named Benjamin John. There are some things on the blog I agree with and some I don't agree with, but nonetheless I found this particular article interesting. I decided to post it here since the Genesis story of Adam & Eve, the Garden of Eden, and the Tree of Knowledge are all often discussed on this forum.

Because it's a long post, I will just take snippets of the most pertinent points to read here. The full article goes into more detail - you can feel free to read it yourself if you want to see the nitty-gritty of Benjamin's argument.

POINT 1 - "Knowledge of good and evil" means authority.

POINT 2 - God was going to let Adam & Eve eat from the tree; their sin was being impatient.

POINT 3 - Adam was smart enough to know eating the fruit was wrong already.

POINT 4 - The devil did lie to Adam & Eve.

On this issue at least, I agree with Benjamin. Honestly I think the story of the Garden of Eden might be one of the most misunderstood stories in all of Western culture - both by people who believe it to be true as well as those who don't. Which is unfortunate.

A literal occurrence.
God had placed the angel who came to be known as satan and devil over the Garden( earth) The bible says he got jealous and wants worship. God handed Adam and Eve eternal life, knowing only good,never sick, not aging like now, never without on a silver platter, he created all things with variety for them to enjoy. He asked them not to do 1 single thing, so they had free will in return for those wonderful gifts--thus they wouldnt be robots and could choose out of love for God to listen to his advice. A liar comes along who did 0 for them, yet they took his side and kicked God in the teeth and ruined it all for all ever born into sin. Thus God let it be proved who is right, him, or satan. I for my part know 100% God is always correct. Gods kingdom will make it go back to what God originally planned.

Old 09-08-2022, 03:11 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
A literal occurrence.
God had placed the angel who came to be known as satan and devil over the Garden( earth) The bible says he got jealous and wants worship. God handed Adam and Eve eternal life, knowing only good,never sick, not aging like now, never without on a silver platter, he created all things with variety for them to enjoy. He asked them not to do 1 single thing, so they had free will in return for those wonderful gifts--thus they wouldnt be robots and could choose out of love for God to listen to his advice. A liar comes along who did 0 for them, yet they took his side and kicked God in the teeth and ruined it all for all ever born into sin. Thus God let it be proved who is right, him, or satan. I for my part know 100% God is always correct. Gods kingdom will make it go back to what God originally planned.
What a nice positive message...as always from you.

Old 09-08-2022, 03:40 PM

16,667 posts, read 15,663,359 times
Quote:
A literal occurrence.
By saying the Garden (of Eden?) is the earth, you show that you do not take the story literally either. This just shows that there is yet another way to interpret the stories in the Bible.

Do you believe the earth was created before the sun and moon?

Old 09-08-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
A literal occurrence.
If the Garden of Eden was the entire earth and God kicked Adam and Eve out of the Garden then God kicked them off the earth. Is that what you actually believe? Or did you even think about what you were saying before saying it?

Old 09-08-2022, 04:19 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,469,646 times
The Garden of Eden is inside the earth,God created Adam in his own image,so God is a man.
God took a rib from Adam and created Eve,thats genetic engineering.
The forbidden fruit is not a fruit,whatever it is ,Adam and Eve violated the law,and get thrown out of the garden and end up on the surface of the planet.
The descendents of Adam and Eve lived a primitive lifestyle until an Alien race from another planet came to look for gold.
They cross bred with the natives and we are the results,thats why we are so smart.
Do you notice when we talk about God,we always look up to the sky,never look down .
GOD descends from the sky,He does not come out of the water,he is an alien.riding a big bird or a carpet.

Old 09-08-2022, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
The Garden of Eden is inside the earth,God created Adam in his own image,so God is a man.
God took a rib from Adam and created Eve,thats genetic engineering.
The forbidden fruit is not a fruit,whatever it is ,Adam and Eve violated the law,and get thrown out of the garden and end up on the surface of the planet.
The descendents of Adam and Eve lived a primitive lifestyle until an Alien race from another planet came to look for gold.
They cross bred with the natives and we are the results,thats why we are so smart.
Do you notice when we talk about God,we always look up to the sky,never look down .
GOD descends from the sky,He does not come out of the water,he is an alien.riding a big bird or a carpet.
I'm thinking that you aren't being serious here. Am I right? Then again, some people have strange beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality