Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 04:20 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,384,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
The Hebrew Bible actually has a number of places where the writers pulled from other ANE sources. In Psalm 74 for example there is a brief creation story where in verse 14 Yahweh crushes the heads (that's plural) of Leviathan. That comes out of the Ugaritic text of the Baal Cycle where in Column 3 of Tablet 3, on line 40 the god Baal destroys the seven headed sea serpent. Baal speaks,
Didn't I snare the Dragon and destroy him?
I demolished the Twisting serpent,
the seven-headed monster.

Stories from Ancient Canaan, Michael D. Coogan and Mark S. Smith
The biblical writers refer to Yahweh several times as 'the rider of the clouds.' That too is a title of Baal where in the Baal Cycle Baal is referred to as the rider of the clouds. The ancient Hebrews had problems with Baal worship which is reflected in the Hebrew Bible. For polemical purposes, to attack the idea that Baal was the rider of the clouds, the biblical writers gave that title to Yahweh. It was Yahweh who was the storm God and brought the rains . . .not Baal.

Israel was a part of the ancient Near East and breathed the same cultural air as the other ANE peoples. The biblical creation stories in Genesis have certain similarities both with Egyptian and Babylonian creation myths.

The authors of the book 'In the Beginning . . .We Misunderstood, Interpreting Genesis 1 in its original Context' Johnny V. Miller and John M. Soden compare Genesis one with Egyptian creation accounts. For a time scholars thought that the Genesis creation account was taken directly from the Babylonian creation myth 'Enuma Elish' because of the similarities but eventually that view fell out of favor and it is thought that rather than directly borrowing from Enuma Elish (When on High) the Genesis creation story is just the result of the ANE peoples all breathing the same cultural air.

Whether or not the biblical writers had access to the written texts of the other ANE peoples or simply knew of the stories (the same cultural air), they attacked the other creation stories and they attacked the god Baal by taking certain aspects such as his title 'the rider of the clouds' and applying it to Yahweh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
You make a convincing argument.
Not really as it cannot be proven. Let’s take the rider of the clouds claim.

How do we know it was not first claimed as a name by which Yahweh was known and the Baal worshipers did not take it and apply it to Baal?

What these scholars are telling everyone is that we cannot understand the scriptures unless we study ANE pagan mythology. To any Christian that should be a red flag.

They are also telling us that only those who study ANE pagan mythology can really understand the scriptures thus placing themselves in a place of authority over how one reads the scriptures. It stinks of RCC belief that only they are in a place of authority to rightly understand the scripture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2022, 05:38 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
and yet we have posters here telling us exactly what happened in the Garden Of Eden.
Still laughing...I know and that it's ''true''...as if they know and were there. Literally, lol.
Sorry people, don't mean to offend, but, gee whiz...

MPH rep - this is a great and interesting topic you brought us.

Old 09-11-2022, 05:51 AM

Default Full post #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
A literal occurrence.
A liar comes along who did 0 for them, yet they took his side and kicked God in the teeth and
ruined it all for all ever born into sin. .
Whoa., intense depiction.

phet:''What a nice positive message...as always from you ''
I know, right?

Old 09-11-2022, 06:01 AM

Default Post 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
The Garden of Eden is inside the earth,God created Adam in his own image,so God is a man.
The descendants of Adam and Eve lived a primitive lifestyle until an Alien race from another planet came to look for gold.
They cross bred with the natives and we are the results, thats why we are so smart.
Um, ok.
Now where did you get all this, please? Cuz it came from somewhere.

Added: Mr. Way--Hey, where was God called the rider of the clouds? I like that. Thanks
I found this, it's not like I didn't look
https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Clouds

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 09-11-2022 at 06:10 AM..

Old 09-11-2022, 09:36 AM

33,225 posts, read 26,429,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Not really as it cannot be proven. Let’s take the rider of the clouds claim.

How do we know it was not first claimed as a name by which Yahweh was known and the Baal worshipers did not take it and apply it to Baal?

What these scholars are telling everyone is that we cannot understand the scriptures unless we study ANE pagan mythology. To any Christian that should be a red flag.

They are also telling us that only those who study ANE pagan mythology can really understand the scriptures thus placing themselves in a place of authority over how one reads the scriptures. It stinks of RCC belief that only they are in a place of authority to rightly understand the scripture.
Because;
The destruction of Ugarit can be accurately dated to around 1200 BC, which means that these tablets, and the ideas they convey, were around earlier than most of the books of the Hebrew Bible.

https://www.logos.com/ugaritic
It is well known that the creation and flood stories of the other ancient Near East peoples are older than the creation and flood stories of the Bible. And in like manner, the epitaph of Baal as the 'cloud rider' is found in the Baal Cycle which is older than most of the books of the Bible.

And yes, much of the Bible cannot be understood apart from a knowledge of its ancient Near East culture. We've been over this before and you will not accept it because of your views and ideas about the Bible.

I have much more respect for the scholarship than you do.

Old 09-11-2022, 09:42 AM

33,225 posts, read 26,429,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Um, ok.
Now where did you get all this, please? Cuz it came from somewhere.

Added: Mr. Way--Hey, where was God called the rider of the clouds? I like that. Thanks
I found this, it's not like I didn't look
https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Clouds
Hi, Miss Hepburn. Here you go.
“The Cloud Rider”
Throughout the Ugaritic texts, Baal is repeatedly called “the one who rides the clouds,” or “the one who mounts the clouds.” The description is recognized as an official title of Baal. No angel or lesser being bore the title. As such, everyone in Israel who heard this title associated it with a deity, not a man or an angel.

Part of the literary strategy of the Israelite prophets was to take this well-known title and attribute it to Yahweh in some way. Consequently, Yahweh, the God of Israel, bears this descriptive title in several places in the Old Testament (Isaiah 19:1; Deuteronomy 33:26; Psalm 68:33; 104:3). For a faithful Israelite, then, there was only one god who “rode” on the clouds: Yahweh. [Bolding mine]

https://www.logos.com/ugaritic
Read on in the article by Dr. Michael Heiser to see how Jesus is connected to this epitaph of the 'cloud rider.'

Old 09-11-2022, 10:31 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,912,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
The Garden of Eden is inside the earth,God created Adam in his own image,so God is a man.
God took a rib from Adam and created Eve,thats genetic engineering.
The forbidden fruit is not a fruit,whatever it is ,Adam and Eve violated the law,and get thrown out of the garden and end up on the surface of the planet.
The descendents of Adam and Eve lived a primitive lifestyle until an Alien race from another planet came to look for gold.
They cross bred with the natives and we are the results,thats why we are so smart.
Do you notice when we talk about God,we always look up to the sky,never look down .
GOD descends from the sky,He does not come out of the water,he is an alien.riding a big bird or a carpet.

This makes about as much sense as the rest of Christian theology so I'd say mojo is probably the most intelligent Christian on this board.

Old 09-11-2022, 04:22 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,915,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Whoa., intense depiction.

phet:''What a nice positive message...as always from you ''
I know, right?

One cannot deny that it didnt occur. The OP asked what occurred. I described it for him just as it occurred.

Old 09-11-2022, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
If the Garden of Eden was the entire earth and God kicked Adam and Eve out of the Garden then God kicked them off the earth. Is that what you actually believe? Or did you even think about what you were saying before saying it?

God told them to fill the earth and subdue it. Subdue it = turn the whole earth into an Eden( Paradise.)
Gods word never goes out and comes back uncomplete. That is how one can be 100% sure its the earth during Jesus 1000 year reign that will be turned into an Eden( Paradise). And all are not going to heaven as the blind guides teach.

Old 09-11-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What a nice positive message...as always from you.

The OP asked what occurred--Nothing positive occurred in those events of Eden. Todays world is the result of those events. I am 100% positive young ones look forward and see 0 hope If they do not know Gods truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality