Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 07:34 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
You maybe right, i will take your word for it.
I dont know many atheists, it does not come up unless they declare themselves to be. I only know only two who lost no opportunity to tell me so. One of them did not understand racism or how it operates in damaging lives. The rest of my opinion comes from those who operate in this space. Some of them are intelligent. Yet they seem to kind of hold their intelligence back in order to support their arguments.
You are right that in this respect they are exactly like fundy religionists.
Once again, the topic is the balance of good and bad in religion. You need to stay on topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2022, 07:41 AM

15,980 posts, read 7,039,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Never take my word for it. But ... these are not the average person cb. The average person is ok with believing in something more. It just matches what we see better. And they are ok with saying "but its not that deity". We are still atheist despite what the militant wants to.

But I think you know already. People are people first. List how you think a "rational religion-ist" would behave and express what they think. Then apply that list to a group of the same minded atheists.

Think about how people debate when they are scarred and angry.
Then list, in a table format,

how a theist would look expressing theism/atheism under those conditions.
how an atheist would look expressing theism/atheism under those conditions.

Do we see that playing out here? How would what we would call "rational person just seeking" look in-between the middle of those two "debating" each other? Does it match what we see here?
Let me first define my terms so understand each other clearly.
I distinguish between religionists and believers. Those who are focused on the truth of their Religion, and those who are focused on the Belief in Divinity. They are not the same. If one believes in Divinity as the Truth, then the truth of any single religion becomes meaningless. Believers see Divinity in all religions, only their practices vary. Religionists do not, their truth is important to them
I dont use the term theist because Believers when they pray to a deity, they consider the deity as a representation of Divinity. They are not praying to a man made deity but to the Divinity that resides within themselves.
Now the bolded: Believers have healed from, or in the process of healing, their scarring and anger. They receive their healing from their belief.
I cannot speak for atheists, as i dont know what it is like to be one. What i sense is atheists are always angry and appear to have not healed and at peace with themselves. I am sure many are at peacecwith their state. But those who argue here, and see it as their mission to counter every claim of spirituality,
are suffering from some strong emotions.

Old 06-18-2022, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The topic here is the balanced story of religion...not a particular poster. The topic here is the balanced story of religion...not an opportunity to insult the original poster.

You need to stay on topic...which is exactly what you tell us in other threads. And, then attempt to get our posts taken down.
Really? Go back and read your own post. It is all ABOUT people. From the start you are off topic. So now you know: Realigion IS, People ACT.

Old 06-18-2022, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Once again, the topic is the balance of good and bad in religion. You need to stay on topic.
Go back and read your first post. It is ALL ABOUT PEOPLE. Which religion are you talking the good and bad about? You are talking about people. THIS is the topic you created.

Old 06-18-2022, 07:50 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,656,375 times
Quote:
When it comes to Religion...”good” and ”bad” are not balanced.
The ”good” heavily outweighs the ”bad”.
The ”ugly” of Religion...is the miserable and imperious few that are not Religious, that seem compelled to bash it and the vast majority (8 to 9 out of 10) that are Religious.

Old 06-18-2022, 07:53 AM

16,786 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
I cannot speak for atheists, as i dont know what it is like to be one. What i sense is atheists are always angry and appear to have not healed and at peace with themselves. I am sure many are at peacecwith their state. But those who argue here, and see it as their mission to counter every claim of spirituality,
are suffering from some strong emotions.
No, the 'emotion' angle is just the usual ad hominem, it allows the theists to dismiss the logic, science, mathematics and history that refutes their claims. It allows them to avoid addressing the actual issues.

Naturally there are times we do get angry, just like everyone else. I am sure you too would be angry if a Muslim terrorist drove a LKW through a Christmas market where two days earlier your brother and his family had been.

Old 06-18-2022, 07:55 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Really? Go back and read your own post. It is all ABOUT people. From the start you are off topic. So now you know: Realigion IS, People ACT.
You're making it about me, not people in general.

This (https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/ope...ject-hinduism/) for example, is a very enlightening essay on why one Hindu left his faith (the intro says, "If Hinduism were just another religion packaged with superstitions without any bearing on people living in today’s globalized world then there wouldn’t be a need for people like me—people who actively condemn Hinduism and scream for atheism from the rooftops. But contrary to the ideologically manufactured popular notion, Hinduism is a harmful religion. Like all religions it functions on an economy of hatred. But instead of directing the hatred solely at the outsider like in Islam, or inward, at oneself and all of humanity, like in Christianity, hatred in Hinduism is graded according to a hierarchy defined by birth. Hatred is directed at all caste-members except the Brahmins."). It is about a religion held by 1.2 billion people; it is not about you personally.

Old 06-18-2022, 08:16 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
The topic here is the balanced story of religion...not a particular poster. The topic here is the balanced story of religion...not an opportunity to insult the original poster.

You need to stay on topic...which is exactly what you tell us in other threads. And, then attempt to get our posts taken down.
What I meant by "good luck with all that."

Old 06-18-2022, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Go back and read your first post. It is ALL ABOUT PEOPLE. Which religion are you talking the good and bad about? You are talking about people. THIS is the topic you created.
I am confused about the confusion here...

Of course religion is about people. No people, no religion. The thread title seems pretty clear to me. Pick your religion. Pick whatever example of "good, bad or ugly" about a religion you want to comment about. We can't even do that without spinning in these circles?

Old 06-18-2022, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
When it comes to Religion...”good” and ”bad” are not balanced.
The ”good” heavily outweighs the ”bad”.
The ”ugly” of Religion...is the miserable and imperious few that are not Religious, that seem compelled to bash it and the vast majority (8 to 9 out of 10) that are Religious.
If this is a balanced, fair or reasonable comment about the topic of this thread, then I am Moses!

To be critical about an aspect of religion is not a bad thing, let alone "miserable." Take the very common stance against gay people, again for example. Regardless how you feel about gay people, is it in any way wrong to discuss the "good, bad or ugly" about that stance? That sort of religious perspective based on what is written in the Bible?

I mean just for starters?

No wonder our progress is retarded in so many ways. Why the "slow maturing of man" is so slow...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality