Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 05:07 PM

51,056 posts, read 24,563,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Yes... some bad people in those very large Organizations...as would figure.
Kinda like the public school system...only it isn't mandatory to send your kid to Church.
The Baptists, overall, are known for their great leaders, that did so, so much good...like Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King.
Of course there are fine and noble Baptists. And I would remind you that this thread (unlike another) is to point out both sides of the story.

But I would remind you that the Southern Baptists have formally apologized for their role in slavery and Jim Crow...not that the apology does anything at all for those who suffered under it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2022, 05:08 PM

Quote:
And address the slam YOU initiated, that I responded to.
The modalities you noted negatively, caused 140 deaths...I responded that the modalities that they supposedly neglected to provide caused over 200,000 deaths.
Why would you bust on the protocols that killed 140...but not the ones that caused 200,000+?
Because the topic in this thread is not 'the field or American medicine', but is 'Religion...'. If you want to discuss negatives about America's health profession, I'm sure there's a sub-forum where that's appropriate.

Old 06-16-2022, 05:18 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,675,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Because the topic in this thread is not 'the field or American medicine', but is 'Religion...'. If you want to discuss negatives about America's health profession, I'm sure there's a sub-forum where that's appropriate.
The article YOU posted noted the "neglect" to use a system of treatment that has caused 200,000++ deaths per year...and instead used a treatment method that has caused less than 200 deaths in 20 years.
Sounds kinda biased to me.
So...let's get all the facts straight.
Though I figured you'd employ some method of running away when you were called on it. And...true to form........

Old 06-16-2022, 06:39 PM

88,823 posts, read 85,222,765 times
Quote:
Of course there are fine and noble Baptists. And I would remind you that this thread (unlike another) is to point out both sides of the story.

But I would remind you that the Southern Baptists have formally apologized for their role in slavery and Jim Crow...not that the apology does anything at all for those who suffered under it.
To be fair, the individuals who apologized are also not the ones that perpetuated it.

Old 06-16-2022, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
To be fair, the individuals who apologized are also not the ones that perpetuated it.
Very true. But I do admire the church for officially apologizing...not an easy thing to do. But at the same time, the apology does no good for those who suffered back then.

Old 06-16-2022, 06:46 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,675,970 times
Quote:

Okay...since I am a Human Being, I formally apologize for any and every "bad" thing that the members of my group (Homo Sapiens), past, present, and future have done or will do. Not that it will do anything at all for anyone...but....
Now...everyone apologize...hurry up!

Old 06-17-2022, 02:31 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,637,041 times
Quote:
Okay...since I am a Human Being, I formally apologize for any and every "bad" thing that the members of my group (Homo Sapiens), past, present, and future have done or will do. Not that it will do anything at all for anyone...but....
Now...everyone apologize...hurry up!
lol my neighbor is like that. He said "I am looking at it historically. I said, Oh, I apologize, I didn't know you did those evil things back then, why are you putting my grand children in danger for what you did?

Lmao ... the standard answer ... he said "you aint listening". I laughed and said "Yeah, its me alright."

Old 06-17-2022, 10:06 AM

29,566 posts, read 9,793,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have been involved off and on with different church/religion run soup kitchens/food pantries over the years, and not one has included any requirement of church attendance, listening to a sermon, or even having to wait for a prayer over the food. Food is just given.

That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but I've never seen it.

I do know a story from a friend's mother, now deceased, who said that back during the Depression she and her sister were sent to the aunt and uncle's home to live, and they were told to go to the Salvation Army to get their dinner. Before they were fed, they had to sing Onward, Christian Soldiers, the SA's theme song, for the person in charge. That was creepy.
I've been involved with the Food Bank as a volunteer, and I saw a lot of this kind of offering without "strings attached" at churches for all practical purposes, but it really doesn't work that way...

Whatever gets people "in the door" is how most churches operate, and of course once you are in there is all the literature and whatever else the church does to lure or gain followers. No one really needs to offer tithings either, but of course anyone with "deep pockets" who happens to become a follower can leave a great deal of money to the church.

"Not that there is anything wrong with that!"

Hardly different from how you can nibble some foods for free at Costco. Those companies are not giving away that food for free out of the goodness of their heart however...

Old 06-17-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Another thread wants to discuss the good that religion does. No balance. I'd like this thread to provide a balance.

For example:

Many people who are involved in organized religion contribute time to projects that improve the community. They volunteer in soup kitchens for the homeless, and many of those soup kitchens are actually developed by churches. Others volunteer in Meals On Wheels and similar organizations.

On the other hand, the concept of a “Chosen People”. Christians seem to often believe they are. Calvinists have the concept of “God’s elect”. Jehovah’s Witnesses talk about only 144,000 people will go to a special place after they die.
"Balance is key!"

I like it...

Old 06-17-2022, 10:15 AM

Quote:

Some of the people who comment in this forum also remind me of how politics is going in America these days. It has got to the point that one side or the other is so unwilling to "give an inch" because the other side will also be unbalanced in the opposite direction with even an inch. Objective reason and balance are just not possible for some people when it comes to the topic of this thread as well. In part this is how and why confirmation bias tends to rule the day rather than the sort of balance you seem wanting to strike here.

Good luck with all that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality