Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2022, 04:45 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,231,627 times

Advertisements

AS partially furred, variously garbed, electrically powered water filled gas processing meat bags inhabited by sentient nondimensional beings, we are engaged in a sequentially arranged interaction with localized space-time, in order to experience, procreate, learn new things, care for others, and keep busy, lest we would become bored with the eternal now.

And with gratitude to ancestors, each generation strives to improve the human condition, so that their ancestors would not be ashamed, nor the generations yet to come would curse their memory.

And if our environment and companions in the spiritual realm are determined by our inherent vibration or essence, it makes sense to strive to be the kind of person that one would prefer to spend eternity with. Thus we manifest our own heaven or hell.

Based on personal excursions and reading travelogues of others, the non-physical realms occupied by sentient beings is as unlimited as one's ability to imagine, and if like attracts like, you're unlikely to be around those who are contrary to your true being.

If you wish to approach that Great Spirit which is all loving, forgiving, and compassionate, it would be wise to cultivate those attributes in oneself. And if a religion helps you achieve that, embrace it. Otherwise, move on to that which will.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2022, 10:00 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,603,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
AS partially furred, variously garbed, electrically powered water filled gas processing meat bags inhabited by sentient nondimensional beings, we are engaged in a sequentially arranged interaction with localized space-time, in order to experience, procreate, learn new things, care for others, and keep busy, lest we would become bored with the eternal now.

And with gratitude to ancestors, each generation strives to improve the human condition, so that their ancestors would not be ashamed, nor the generations yet to come would curse their memory.

And if our environment and companions in the spiritual realm are determined by our inherent vibration or essence, it makes sense to strive to be the kind of person that one would prefer to spend eternity with. Thus we manifest our own heaven or hell.

Based on personal excursions and reading travelogues of others, the non-physical realms occupied by sentient beings is as unlimited as one's ability to imagine, and if like attracts like, you're unlikely to be around those who are contrary to your true being.

If you wish to approach that Great Spirit which is all loving, forgiving, and compassionate, it would be wise to cultivate those attributes in oneself. And if a religion helps you achieve that, embrace it. Otherwise, move on to that which will.
wow ...

Spectacular.

I add just one more notion, because I am more of an engineer more than anything else. I know it doesn't fit in this site or conversations about this, but its me. How do we know what is more reliable if we just are not that sure or don't have enough faith?

I asm atheist ... so I just don't have enough faith in what some atheist are saying.

when "Moving the needle in that direction" is just not good enough for us.

I believe ... maybe I should say "I am asking you to phrase, as you did above, the notion of.

"If we compare our beliefs (unknown) to what we see and experience around us (the known), the belief tends to be more reliable and self correct over time."

Its basically a measurement.

Old 06-20-2022, 10:25 AM

63,890 posts, read 40,164,479 times
Quote:

Intriguingly phrased!!

Old 06-20-2022, 05:45 PM

20,063 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:
AS partially furred, variously garbed, electrically powered water filled gas processing meat bags inhabited by sentient nondimensional beings ...
Ugly! Very ugly bags of mostly water!

(Pardon the Star Trek reference)

Old 06-20-2022, 06:21 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,903,910 times
Quote:
I've thought about how it would feel to actually know and be aware that we are eternal beings. I mean, yeah it would be awesome to be reunited with loved one's lost and have the reassurance that the gig never ends. That said, how would we pass the time. Of course, our understanding of time is limited and eternity could be just a blissful feeling that transcends it in a way that we can only imagine.

Quote:
This is beautiful actually. Thanks for writing it! Far too often, I have felt religion has been used in an imposing way, that has actually hurt and killed countless people in history. If only they always heeded your words.

Old 06-21-2022, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
wow ...

Spectacular.

I add just one more notion, because I am more of an engineer more than anything else. I know it doesn't fit in this site or conversations about this, but its me. How do we know what is more reliable if we just are not that sure or don't have enough faith?

I asm atheist ... so I just don't have enough faith in what some atheist are saying.

when "Moving the needle in that direction" is just not good enough for us.

I believe ... maybe I should say "I am asking you to phrase, as you did above, the notion of.

"If we compare our beliefs (unknown) to what we see and experience around us (the known), the belief tends to be more reliable and self correct over time."

Its basically a measurement.
I have experiences and self realization as the basis for my understanding. I was trained to "believe" many things that were dogma of a particular religious sect. But once I started exploring on my own, I stopped "believing" and shifted to "knowing." I also appreciated the travelogues of others and how their ego mind interpreted such experiences. I don't mind that some things may be contradictory.
My own interpretations could be flawed and limited by my consciousness and constrained by language in its referents. I like the analogy where a modern integrated circuit designer is trying to explain self aligning polysilicon gates built upon silicon substrates doped with an infusion of a different element, to create field effect transistors - to a camel herder in 1204 B.C. Whatever that camel herder says to others will probably not be complete nor understood as intended.

Some of my sources ranged from Edgar Cayce (& various groups in Virginia Beach), Paramahansa Yogananda (Self-Realization Fellowship), Baba Ram Das (Dr. Richard Alpert), Robert Monroe ("Out of the Body Experiences"), and innumerable teachers, gurus, and holy men.

I realized that there was no "one way" to higher consciousness, and zealots and self righteous who exclude all other flavors and insist that you do what they do, are more likely to be on the wrong path, and not too helpful... at least for others. (It's not good to force others to walk in your shoes - they may pinch!)

There are over 7 billion "ways" to evolve into higher consciousness. And this reunion of the individual with the collective is just how "that realm" operates. And if like attracts like, those most in harmony with that Great Spirit can approach and commune with it, and merge with it. Those who are totally out of harmony will be excluded - a fate that one might interpret as eternal damnation.

I like to imagine that the Prime Spirit was lonely and created others to "play" with. So being an individual, separate from the One, is but one way to "play". (Play nice, children!) And reunion with Oneness is also acceptable, but may become boring, and thus triggering another adventure as an individual (human or other species). It's not "wrong" to leave "home." Buddha's search to escape the "wheel of rebirth" probably was a reflection on those who could not stop being individualized, and were unable to reunite with the Source. Whereas there may be high souls who deliberately sought to reincarnate to help others, and not be constrained.

As one of the greatest teachers taught - "Love the Source, and love your neighbor as yourself" - "Forgive all trespasses" - "No greater love than for one to sacrifice for the benefit of another".
Following those ideals would make a heaven on earth, even if there wasn't a heavenly realm.

Thomas Campbell might also be informative -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzeb3INsKDQ

But no matter what he says, it's filtered by his own limited material intellect and language constraints.

Last edited by jetgraphics; 06-21-2022 at 02:01 AM..

Old 06-21-2022, 02:17 AM

Addendum: A good rule of thumb - vocations that involve caring for others and vocations that involve expanding knowledge of the material universe (science, etc) are very valuable. The latter is for adding to the knowledge of the oversoul, which may know "all" in the Now, but only that which is discovered by us. Because we can experiment and think without immediately manifesting that which we thought. A being in the "other" realm has to have a disciplined and constrained mind, so as not to create evil and destruction. If it did, it would cease to be good and loving. It parallels the admonition to become "like innocent children" who cannot conceive of evil. So in that sense, material beings are the data sensors that can learn of creation, and thus are valued.

The former, is a manifestation of the law of love, and the foundation of spiritual evolution. It is anathema to the law of the jungle - selfishness - anger - greed - harming others for one's own benefit - and so on. Those who think they "won" the world, find themselves segregated and exiled from that Source, a most agonizing condition. And those who convinced themselves that being evil was really good (law abiding - under the law of the jungle!), soon discover that self delusion doesn't work "over there." Once you are pure consciousness, your true nature is evident, and you can't "fake" your way out.

Old 06-21-2022, 03:09 AM

6,959 posts, read 6,891,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
OP, looks like you need to choose a religion and stick to it, rather than having an eclectic set of beliefs. All religions are collective, and all of them would bring you together with other adherents, who will help you learn.

Which one to choose? Whichever your parents had . . . or their parents. I wouldn't go for an exotic one, though, but it's just me.
Why do we need to label ourselves any one particular religion? There are many people who do not call themselves anything although of course you will not be able to identify with that group because their beliefs are so varied. By being content with your own beliefs, means you are confident and have 'faith' that these are right for you at this point in your journey.

That in itself can be a good source of learning - to have discussions with those kind of people and to thrash out what we each believe at that moment in time as our beliefs evolve.

There are loads of books and opportunities to learn outside of religion, and some would say you do not get the controlling agendas if you choose your own material.

Old 06-21-2022, 06:37 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,603,196 times
Quote:
I have experiences and self realization as the basis for my understanding. I was trained to "believe" many things that were dogma of a particular religious sect. But once I started exploring on my own, I stopped "believing" and shifted to "knowing." I also appreciated the travelogues of others and how their ego mind interpreted such experiences. I don't mind that some things may be contradictory.
My own interpretations could be flawed and limited by my consciousness and constrained by language in its referents. I like the analogy where a modern integrated circuit designer is trying to explain self aligning polysilicon gates built upon silicon substrates doped with an infusion of a different element, to create field effect transistors - to a camel herder in 1204 B.C. Whatever that camel herder says to others will probably not be complete nor understood as intended.

Nipped for space ...

I like to imagine that the Prime Spirit was lonely and created others to "play" with. So being an individual, separate from the One, is but one way to "play". (Play nice, children!) And reunion with Oneness is also acceptable, but may become boring, and thus triggering another adventure as an individual (human or other species). It's not "wrong" to leave "home." Buddha's search to escape the "wheel of rebirth" probably was a reflection on those who could not stop being individualized, and were unable to reunite with the Source. Whereas there may be high souls who deliberately sought to reincarnate to help others, and not be constrained.

Nipped for space ...
I try and look for and understand base axioms. Those statements that link everything we say together.

I believe the bolded base axiom leads to a false conclusion, or at least, misses the mark.

I compare your:

"I like to imagine that the Prime Spirit was lonely and created others to "play" with."

to mine:

"It looks like we may be in a system that matches "alive" more than "not alive".

in the context we are in, about beliefs, where might they lead us a stray?

Old 06-22-2022, 11:34 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,724,246 times
Earlier Christians apperantly believed in reincarnation, i guess I wasn't alone all along

Using non-religious vocabulary, I am guessing this was before the establishment of the Bible onto mainstream Christianity, but saw that it wasn't compatible with the insurrection story

But reincarnation and rebirth are 2 different concepts we most also remember
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality