Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 02:15 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,219,965 times

Advertisements

Check out the Self-Realization Fellowship (and Paramahansa Yogananda).
https://yogananda.org/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autobiography_of_a_Yogi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2022, 03:12 PM

50,867 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Siddhartha certainly made reference to various Hindu deities. Doesn't that count?
Let's put it this way...

When you go into some Theravada Buddhist temples you will see all types of paintings of mythical heavens (with various levels) and mythical hells (also with various levels), and in some temples you will see 'gardens' with all sorts of depictions of Buddhist hell. There is a lot of debate among Buddhists about whether those are literal, with (at least most people I have been in contact with) thinking they are mind-states, not actual physical places. But guess what...since the intent of Buddhism is to lessen your suffering, it really doesn't matter much. Live by Buddhist principles and you will likely lessen your suffering...regardless of whether or not there are actual Buddhist heavens and hells.

Buddha told his followers to test his teachings for themselves. How are you going to test Hindu deities?

Old 05-12-2022, 04:41 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,219,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
How are you going to test Hindu deities?
Do they cheat at "Solitaire"?
(just kidding)
I was recently watching "Little Buddha" and the Tibetan lamas retold the story of Siddhartha. At one point, Siddhartha is contending with Mara, lord of illusion. So, if Mara was not a deity / demigod, but merely allegory, okay.

Old 05-12-2022, 04:59 PM

9,691 posts, read 10,027,043 times
There is only one way to clear your name of your crime against life or will be lost to God ....... Which is wisdom of the ages

Old 05-12-2022, 05:49 PM

63,844 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
You're a Unitarian!

They earnestly disbelieve almost everything others believe, but they have a very lively sustaining faith in they're not quite sure what.
If most people were honest with themselves, that is exactly what their religious beliefs are based on except they have been convinced it is because the beliefs they have been taught are the truth or have accepted it from others.

Old 05-15-2022, 12:53 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,722,670 times
I believe everyone also dies differently, but the only realms I ever came close to experiencing were Heaven and Atlantis

Old 05-18-2022, 06:48 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,093,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Religiously curious? Faith-seeker? Agnostic theist?

So far some of my spiritual/religious beliefs in include

-I firmly believe in reincarnation, but I do not think everyone gets that chance of being reincarnated, at least not right away and that some sort of judgment day could happen, like if you were very well exceptionally-behaved in your previous life, that alone will determine the fate of your destiny for your next life

-I believe our souls experience disconnect from the physical world here and there(examples could include sleep paralysis, seizures, sleepwalking, derealizations, hallucinations, I feel like these are spiritual experiences and not meant to be physical ones)

-I do still believe in heaven, but I don't really believe in hell

I do believe in the cycle of Karma instead

-I also believe life is a cycle of suffering and reward, left and right

I taken typology quizes, so far I gotten 2 Hinduism, 1 Christianity and 1 Buddhism

I definitely learned a lot more than usual about my spiritual/religious beliefs during this 6-month burnout perioid of mine

I will say all this spiritual and religious conductive examination on myself has reduced my loneliness, depression, fear of death(50/50), anxiety/stress and upped my self confidence more than ever, I feel that God is perhaps guiding me thru all of this

What you pray to is your faith, what you *do* before and after prayers, is your religion.

You should remember this, and do your own research to see what talks to your heart?

If a religious doctrine does not hold any accountability of your actions, then IMO, it goes out of the window.

Old 05-18-2022, 11:59 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,722,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
What you pray to is your faith, what you *do* before and after prayers, is your religion.

You should remember this, and do your own research to see what talks to your heart?

If a religious doctrine does not hold any accountability of your actions, then IMO, it goes out of the window.
This is why I don't like religious exclusivism, it doesn't for allow for any outside the box thinking

I suppose a Christian believing in Karma could contradict the dynamic of believing in Jesus, never mind the "reap what you sow" line, because it changes the motivation behind their good behaviors

But I've seen karma play out before, and not just from a socialized artificial perspective, but for example recently a man died of a heart attack after choking some woman in his home to death

Old 05-19-2022, 12:17 AM

3,127 posts, read 1,019,067 times
I think you might like SRF, as message #21 suggested here. I really do.

The link for the book suggested is here:
https://www.amazon.com/Autobiography.../dp/B00JW44IAI

Read the reviews on Amazon.

(You can probably find the book at your local library too).

Old 05-19-2022, 08:00 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,093,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
This is why I don't like religious exclusivism, it doesn't for allow for any outside the box thinking

I suppose a Christian believing in Karma could contradict the dynamic of believing in Jesus, never mind the "reap what you sow" line, because it changes the motivation behind their good behaviors

But I've seen karma play out before, and not just from a socialized artificial perspective, but for example recently a man died of a heart attack after choking some woman in his home to death
IMO, the religion and faith, should help you find a solace in answering two main questions.

What's the purpose of my existence, and what's awaits after death?

The first answer should provide you with a code of how to live your life, and second answer should give you hope (and not guarantees).

I am not sure why would anyone require religion if he/she doesn't have these two natural curiosities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality