Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 07:54 PM

20,177 posts, read 13,610,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Why should any one religion be the only "true" one?
Some religions claim a monopoly on truth. JWs come to mind. Most Christian fundamentalists. I suppose one could argue that by simply existing a religion makes some tacit claim to truth. If they were all simply marketing themselves to people as a candidate for "their" personal truth, it would be one thing. The problem is the ones that claim to represent ultimate / absolute capital-T Truth. If one is religion shopping, I'd urge them to at least avoid the ones who claim all others are wrong.

I have to admit that due to my background in Christian fundamentalism I was conditioned to value certitude. So I understand the OP's impulse to want clarity and labels and some reassurance that they are on the "right" path. I think the OP is getting good advice here given his chosen trajectory. Don't obsess about labels, be open, follow one's own intuition. Ultimately, select what actually works for you, adopt it for yourself, don't impose it on others, and you're good to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2022, 08:23 PM

19,159 posts, read 27,792,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Religiously curious? Faith-seeker? Agnostic theist?

So far some of my spiritual/religious beliefs in include

-I firmly believe in reincarnation, but I do not think everyone gets that chance of being reincarnated, at least not right away and that some sort of judgment day could happen, like if you were very well exceptionally-behaved in your previous life, that alone will determine the fate of your destiny for your next life

-I believe our souls experience disconnect from the physical world here and there(examples could include sleep paralysis, seizures, sleepwalking, derealizations, hallucinations, I feel like these are spiritual experiences and not meant to be physical ones)

-I do still believe in heaven, but I don't really believe in hell

I do believe in the cycle of Karma instead

-I also believe life is a cycle of suffering and reward, left and right

I taken typology quizes, so far I gotten 2 Hinduism, 1 Christianity and 1 Buddhism

I definitely learned a lot more than usual about my spiritual/religious beliefs during this 6-month burnout perioid of mine

I will say all this spiritual and religious conductive examination on myself has reduced my loneliness, depression, fear of death(50/50), anxiety/stress and upped my self confidence more than ever, I feel that God is perhaps guiding me thru all of this

CURIOUS.
You are CURIOUS.
It goes like this: curious>seeker>adept>disciple>devotee.

When you will step on the path of active search, that is when you will become a seeker.
If your path is right and your effort is true, your Master will find YOU.
If you accept your Master, or Guru, you will become an adept with possibility to become a disciple.

Which religion? None. Religions are religions.

FOLLOW YOUR HEART AND SEEK THE TRUTH.

Knock, and doors will open.

Old 05-07-2022, 11:01 PM

18,255 posts, read 16,999,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
It's okay to believe in a higher power as long as you come to the early realization that it doesn't believe in you.

Quote:
My experience would say otherwise
Mine wouldn't.

Old 05-08-2022, 06:17 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,733,241 times
Thank your for all the enlightening responses

Old 05-11-2022, 04:02 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,111,370 times
Quote:
Religiously curious? Faith-seeker? Agnostic theist?

So far some of my spiritual/religious beliefs in include

-I firmly believe in reincarnation, but I do not think everyone gets that chance of being reincarnated, at least not right away and that some sort of judgment day could happen, like if you were very well exceptionally-behaved in your previous life, that alone will determine the fate of your destiny for your next life

-I believe our souls experience disconnect from the physical world here and there(examples could include sleep paralysis, seizures, sleepwalking, derealizations, hallucinations, I feel like these are spiritual experiences and not meant to be physical ones)

-I do still believe in heaven, but I don't really believe in hell

I do believe in the cycle of Karma instead

-I also believe life is a cycle of suffering and reward, left and right

I taken typology quizes, so far I gotten 2 Hinduism, 1 Christianity and 1 Buddhism

I definitely learned a lot more than usual about my spiritual/religious beliefs during this 6-month burnout perioid of mine

I will say all this spiritual and religious conductive examination on myself has reduced my loneliness, depression, fear of death(50/50), anxiety/stress and upped my self confidence more than ever, I feel that God is perhaps guiding me thru all of this
I seriously don't know the answer to this question but does the concept of reincarnation answer the question as to why the world population is increasing?

If we are live and die and come back and die and come back, then how are the new souls added to this cycle?

Old 05-11-2022, 04:04 PM

51,158 posts, read 24,630,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I seriously don't know the answer to this question but does the concept of reincarnation answer the question as to why the world population is increasing?

If we are live and die and come back and die and come back, then how are the new souls added to this cycle?
It's a good question that we don't have the answer to...just like many religious questions. That's why we can say we believe in it, but can't prove it, and shouldn't push it.

Old 05-12-2022, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post

Because we're the dominant species? Actually reincarnation would make even more sense this way, humans are like the supreme beings of the planet and another sign of evidence of reincarnation(evidence people, not proof) is I been noticing more animals pick up human cues

Great example

https://youtu.be/azpUnhozCVM

Old 05-12-2022, 12:56 PM

4,649 posts, read 2,805,177 times
You're a Unitarian!

They earnestly disbelieve almost everything others believe, but they have a very lively sustaining faith in they're not quite sure what.

Old 05-12-2022, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
You're a Unitarian!

They earnestly disbelieve almost everything others believe, but they have a very lively sustaining faith in they're not quite sure what.
Oh **** I almost forgot about that term, then yeah I guess that term could apply to me

Old 05-12-2022, 02:12 PM

19,041 posts, read 14,286,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Sounds like Buddhism is a close fit EXCEPT that generally Buddhists don't believe in a creator god (however, Buddhists are free to believe what they believe...at least Theravada Buddhist).

Tzap makes a good point here.
Siddhartha certainly made reference to various Hindu deities. Doesn't that count?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality