Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 08:43 PM

51,102 posts, read 24,599,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Click on the link provided in mensaguy's post to a specific thread by thrillobyte (that figures) about this. Post #3 he writes to that effect.
He even admits the sentiment is "heartless"...but that seems to be a admired trait around here...so...
I went back and looked at the post. Nowhere does he say that he's glad he got killed or anything close to it.

It seems that you will post almost anything for your entertainment to stir things up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 10:53 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,679,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I went back and looked at the post. Nowhere does he say that he's glad he got killed or anything close to it.

It seems that you will post almost anything for your entertainment to stir things up.
Your ability to look is lacking. But, I knew that.
Here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/53718065-post3.html
Opening line: "Sounds heartless but in a way I'm glad he was killed."

Old 03-23-2022, 11:05 PM

51,102 posts, read 24,599,714 times
Quote:
Different post

Old 03-24-2022, 12:43 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,679,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
That would be the guy that decided the people on North Sentinel Island needed Christianity. They shot him with arrows as soon as he hit the beach. They don't like visitors.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/reli...dow-doubt.html
Quote:
It appears that they would have done the same to anyone...and had nothing to do with his ministry mission.
Sounds like excellent border security...all should adopt similar.
But those that say they are "glad he got killed" or similar, even think that it is funny...You reap what you sow, and, what goes around--comes around.
Quote:
I must have missed it. In what post # did someone say they were "glad he got killed"?
Quote:
Click on the link provided in mensaguy's post to a specific thread by thrillobyte (that figures) about this. Post #3 he writes to that effect.
He even admits the sentiment is "heartless"...but that seems to be a admired trait around here...so...
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Different post
I don't know what to tell ya.
I made a statement. You, of course, questioned it.
So, I provided concise info to find substantiation.
You, couldn't figure it out & botched the lookup...but instead of checking yourself, you spew more insults.
Typical of how you almost always are.
I will pray for you.

Old 03-24-2022, 04:35 AM

16,744 posts, read 15,776,165 times
There was a much longer thread about the missionary that applied for a Darwin Award on North Sentinel Island. It was in the A&A forum, so I hadn't linked to it before, but maybe it is needed for balance.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/athe...ted-tribe.html

Old 03-24-2022, 06:45 AM

10,552 posts, read 6,197,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It isn't an insult to actual martyrs, because they are by definition dead, having sacrificed their lives for a cause.

Martyr as an insult is used for people who act as if they sacrificing themselves but are playing up their suffering to get sympathy from others.
Exactly this.

It's people being sarcastic: "don't act like such a martyr".

Of course you can't act like a martyr if you are still alive but people can turn practically anything into an insult.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:27 AM

13,767 posts, read 8,066,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
You are on about something that we aren't discussing.

I did not suggest that creatures have anything to offer a creator.

I said that what Jesus did, whatever you may think of its admirability, was not a sacrifice. It represented no net cost to him whatsoever, as a man -- and, as you yourself pointed out, certainly not as a god.

Now sacrifice in the sense I meant it was referring to any actual cost to Jesus, either personally (as human) or professionally (as god). I was not referring to the theological concept of a sacrificial system wherein Jesus is a human scapegoat. In that sense, he can be seen in the role of a sacrificial "lamb of god". I don't deny that, although I see that whole concept as somewhere between primitive and silly. But I'm not arguing that point.

I just cannot think of anything Jesus actually gave up on a net, permanent basis. He died, but was resurrected. He suffered, but that was short-term and it ended. God turned away from him, but now he's at god's right hand. In that sense I don't see what it actually cost him. I'm not discussing its importance or efficacy.
Thanks for clarifying your point of view.

To go along with your point; we mere mortals could take the perspective that no matter how much suffering and pain we have to deal with in this life, if we end up making it to heaven in the end, then was the suffering and pain even real?

To me, that doesn't invalidate the suffering and pain we actually had to go through. Yes it was real.

So I would say that it did cost Jesus in the sense that He really suffered in the moment and experienced real pain and anguish.

Even though technically speaking nothing could possibly "cost" God anything, the suffering of Christ is still meaningful and real. We can say that God truly suffered.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:16 AM

64,015 posts, read 40,319,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
You are on about something that we aren't discussing.

I did not suggest that creatures have anything to offer a creator.

I said that what Jesus did, whatever you may think of its admirability, was not a sacrifice. It represented no net cost to him whatsoever, as a man -- and, as you yourself pointed out, certainly not as a god.

Now sacrifice in the sense I meant it was referring to any actual cost to Jesus, either personally (as human) or professionally (as god). I was not referring to the theological concept of a sacrificial system wherein Jesus is a human scapegoat. In that sense, he can be seen in the role of a sacrificial "lamb of god". I don't deny that, although I see that whole concept as somewhere between primitive and silly. But I'm not arguing that point.

I just cannot think of anything Jesus actually gave up on a net, permanent basis. He died, but was resurrected. He suffered, but that was short-term and it ended. God turned away from him, but now he's at god's right hand. In that sense I don't see what it actually cost him. I'm not discussing its importance or efficacy.
The point you and it seems everyone to date has missed is that Jesus was NOT a sacrifice in the primitive sense currently believed. No sacrifice was ever needed for our sins, just a level of spiritual maturity that we were not achieving.

Personally, as a human being, the suffering that Jesus unjustly endured out of perfect agape love was definitely a sacrifice. Any of us would have considered it to be supreme restraint and a definite sacrifice if we could have prevented it.

Old 03-24-2022, 03:19 PM

10,552 posts, read 6,197,410 times
You've all got me thinking, if Jesus had never been crucified, how that probably would have changed the entire course of history.

This would make an interesting thread in itself.

Old 03-24-2022, 04:11 PM

3,809 posts, read 3,020,850 times
Quote:
It appears that they would have done the same to anyone...and had nothing to do with his ministry mission.
Sounds like excellent border security...all should adopt similar.
But those that say they are "glad he got killed" or similar, even think that it is funny...You reap what you sow, and, what goes around--comes around.
Yeah a couple of Indian fishermen fell asleep on their boat, and rocked up on North Sentinel Island once as well. (was about 15 years ago)
Of course that ended very badly for those 2 fishermen.
No doubt if India sent Hindu missionaries there too, they would meet the same fate.
But on the OP, I had never thought of Jesus Christ as a martyr either.
More of a sacrificial lamb.
Hence the phrase- “we are all saved by the blood of the lamb”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality