Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 02:47 PM

88,885 posts, read 85,346,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
I didn't realize it was strictly or exclusively defined as "Christian."

Thank you for the insight.
I'm not sure it is exclusive to Christianity, but there are people actually officially labeled as "martyrs" in the Catholic Church and a few other denominations (Episcopal, at least.)

You're welcome.

Old 03-23-2022, 02:51 PM

13,772 posts, read 8,081,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I was speaking of Jesus in his humanity, but of course in terms of his alleged deity as defined by the Church, the notion of sacrifice or cost is even more of a non-starter -- so thanks for pointing that out.

Given the assumptions that god exists, is great, and is nothing but love, yes, that is indeed remarkable. I wasn't a believer for nearly 40 years for nothing.
It's not a "non-starter". God being Infinite in Goodness and Majesty, no sacrifice that man could offer could ever possibly atone for our sins.

The only way that man could atone is if God did it for us. That's why God became a man, lived among us, and offered Himself up as a Sacrifice, acting as both Priest and Victim.

"The creature can offer nothing to the Creator that can be worthy of His acceptance".

Only God is worthy of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 02:55 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,681,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
What?

I have no idea what you're talking about.
The place you get the majority of the information about Jesus is The Bible.
Refer to that about the nature of the life & death of Jesus, relative to martyrdom...and as a comparision to the life/death of others in that same context.

Then you might gain enough understanding so you won't ever again interpret a comparision of the life/death of Jesus with others to be, "just need to do a magic number of good things and then being a martyr is a plus? Got it!
I wonder what the number is."

Old 03-23-2022, 03:45 PM

16,745 posts, read 15,785,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Good point. Any church I ever attended didn't actually refer to Jesus himself as a martyr, but to those who died subsequently for the Christian religion, particularly in the earlier centuries of the church.

As a matter of fact, out of curiosity I Googled "Jesus as martyr" when this thread first appeared, because I'd never heard the reference before, but saw that the term is indeed applied to Jesus by some.
That would be the guy that decided the people on North Sentinel Island needed Christianity. They shot him with arrows as soon as he hit the beach. They don't like visitors.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/reli...dow-doubt.html

Old 03-23-2022, 03:53 PM

20,179 posts, read 13,610,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In fact, it was literally illegal to go to that island.
Yep, he had to literally bribe people under the table to get taken there.

Old 03-23-2022, 03:57 PM

11,208 posts, read 7,267,789 times
That wouldn't be a martyr; that'd be someone with a death wish. No smarts, no glory.

Old 03-23-2022, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
That would be the guy that decided the people on North Sentinel Island needed Christianity. They shot him with arrows as soon as he hit the beach. They don't like visitors.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/reli...dow-doubt.html
It appears that they would have done the same to anyone...and had nothing to do with his ministry mission.
Sounds like excellent border security...all should adopt similar.
But those that say they are "glad he got killed" or similar, even think that it is funny...You reap what you sow, and, what goes around--comes around.

Old 03-23-2022, 04:36 PM

20,179 posts, read 13,610,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
It's not a "non-starter". God being Infinite in Goodness and Majesty, no sacrifice that man could offer could ever possibly atone for our sins.

The only way that man could atone is if God did it for us. That's why God became a man, lived among us, and offered Himself up as a Sacrifice, acting as both Priest and Victim.

"The creature can offer nothing to the Creator that can be worthy of His acceptance".

Only God is worthy of God.
You are on about something that we aren't discussing.

I did not suggest that creatures have anything to offer a creator.

I said that what Jesus did, whatever you may think of its admirability, was not a sacrifice. It represented no net cost to him whatsoever, as a man -- and, as you yourself pointed out, certainly not as a god.

Now sacrifice in the sense I meant it was referring to any actual cost to Jesus, either personally (as human) or professionally (as god). I was not referring to the theological concept of a sacrificial system wherein Jesus is a human scapegoat. In that sense, he can be seen in the role of a sacrificial "lamb of god". I don't deny that, although I see that whole concept as somewhere between primitive and silly. But I'm not arguing that point.

I just cannot think of anything Jesus actually gave up on a net, permanent basis. He died, but was resurrected. He suffered, but that was short-term and it ended. God turned away from him, but now he's at god's right hand. In that sense I don't see what it actually cost him. I'm not discussing its importance or efficacy.

Old 03-23-2022, 06:03 PM

51,171 posts, read 24,630,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
It appears that they would have done the same to anyone...and had nothing to do with his ministry mission.
Sounds like excellent border security...all should adopt similar.
But those that say they are "glad he got killed" or similar, even think that it is funny...You reap what you sow, and, what goes around--comes around.
I must have missed it. In what post # did someone say they were "glad he got killed"?

Old 03-23-2022, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I must have missed it. In what post # did someone say they were "glad he got killed"?
Click on the link provided in mensaguy's post to a specific thread by thrillobyte (that figures) about this. Post #3 he writes to that effect.
He even admits the sentiment is "heartless"...but that seems to be a admired trait around here...so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality