Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 04:19 PM

5,520 posts, read 7,358,549 times

Advertisements

My wife accuses me of being a martyr when it's my turn to wash the dishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2022, 05:29 PM

20,091 posts, read 13,546,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
But nothing could cost God anything, because God is all in all and all-sufficient.

The marvel is that God became a man along with all the worst that that entails for absolutely no reason other than to benefit us.

When one considers the greatness of God and the insignificance of man, that's certainly worth more than a passing thought.
I was speaking of Jesus in his humanity, but of course in terms of his alleged deity as defined by the Church, the notion of sacrifice or cost is even more of a non-starter -- so thanks for pointing that out.

Given the assumptions that god exists, is great, and is nothing but love, yes, that is indeed remarkable. I wasn't a believer for nearly 40 years for nothing.

Old 03-22-2022, 05:30 PM

20,091 posts, read 13,546,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
My wife accuses me of being a martyr when it's my turn to wash the dishes.
Hey, that's what dishwashers are for!

Old 03-23-2022, 12:00 PM

1,250 posts, read 682,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It isn't an insult to actual martyrs, because they are by definition dead, having sacrificed their lives for a cause.

Martyr as an insult is used for people who act as if they sacrificing themselves but are playing up their suffering to get sympathy from others.
Obviously.

I know what it is.

I asked, specifically why it's a plus for Jesus, but a minus for anyone else.

Hopefully, I will learn something!

This has been bugging me for years.

Old 03-23-2022, 12:02 PM

1,250 posts, read 682,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
According to the story...Jesus was 100% innocent...was willing to die to save all others...and died by way of incredible torture, but forgave, blessed & loved his executioners.
If any other redeemed all humanity by their sacrifice, was innocent, and loved those that persecuted them...it would not be a insult.
Now add in...rose from the dead after being killed. So...to compare, anyone else would have to do that too.
As per the story.
Ok. So according to this theory, you just need to do a magic number of good things and then being a martyr is a plus? Got it!

I wonder what the number is.

Old 03-23-2022, 12:42 PM

50,987 posts, read 24,476,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
Ok. So according to this theory, you just need to do a magic number of good things and then being a martyr is a plus? Got it!

I wonder what the number is.
I think, in general, to just die for a cause. The question is which causes are worth dying for?

Old 03-23-2022, 12:46 PM

88,701 posts, read 85,065,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
Obviously.

I know what it is.

I asked, specifically why it's a plus for Jesus, but a minus for anyone else.

Hopefully, I will learn something!

This has been bugging me for years.
It's a plus for Jesus in the eyes of Christians as having sacrificed himself for the good of humanity, and it's not a minus for all those given the "martyr" designation by the church.

There's a list with links at the end of this article. It appears quite extensive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_martyr

Otherwise, your question was answered and should not bug you anymore. Once again, the term "martyr" as an insult is applied only to people who are not actually martyrs but act as if they are.

Old 03-23-2022, 12:50 PM

88,701 posts, read 85,065,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think, in general, to just die for a cause. The question is which causes are worth dying for?
Good point. Some might consider the 9/11 hijackers martyrs. Some might consider David Koresh a martyr.

Non-Christian religions would not consider Jesus a martyr. Martyr status is therefore also a matter of perspective.

Old 03-23-2022, 01:12 PM

5,520 posts, read 7,358,549 times
The individual who sacrifices themselves for the benefit of another, is the martyr that I can celebrate.

The individual who claims to sacrifice themselves for their god, while destroying people .........

That's a horse of a different color.

Old 03-23-2022, 01:17 PM

50,987 posts, read 24,476,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Good point. Some might consider the 9/11 hijackers martyrs. Some might consider David Koresh a martyr.

Non-Christian religions would not consider Jesus a martyr. Martyr status is therefore also a matter of perspective.
In recent years I think most often of that missionary that was killed off the coast of...India (?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality