Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 09:56 AM

13,772 posts, read 8,081,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Those claims have been evaluated for 1400 years by billions of people and found credible.
...and?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2022, 09:59 AM

29,587 posts, read 9,813,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Agreed. If any productive dialogue is to be had, terms have to be defined.
Do you really think so? We've got to redefine words for which the definitions were established long ago and easily found in the dictionary? So you can use these words as you see fit regardless their definition?

That's a pretty self-centered and awfully skewed rationale that's very hard to accept, but of course I get it! If you were to use the same "playing field" as I do and others who approach this subject more objectively, you would have no dialogue, let alone a productive one. Interesting how you and others can't see this sort of thing.

"Interesting" to keep it civil here...

Old 03-17-2022, 10:00 AM

51,171 posts, read 24,630,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
What is really the deal...is that some are so intrinsically miserable and hateful that they see their insulting & mocking interrogations as "normal".
I am not "afraid" of this kind of exchange...in fact, I find it entertaining (like a horror movie or "insult comedy") and have noted that.
But drive-by posts about "helping to find lost keys instead of restoration of lost limbs" or "Abrahamic Religion Adherents endorse slavery", cannot ever be reasonably deemed "sincere inquiry".
And that makes up the bulk of what I see here.
I see disparagement by christians of non-christian religions.
I have heard and seen disparagement about my religion -- Buddhism. And while it's unpleasant, I don't go off the deep end about it. Even when I have seen Westerners urinate on a Buddha statue, I just think how unintelligent they are being (after all, urinating on a religious statue is extreme by any measurement). But their behavior does not stop me from practicing my religion. Their behavior is not a threat to Buddhism.

And, " But drive-by posts about "helping to find lost keys instead of restoration of lost limbs" or "Abrahamic Religion Adherents endorse slavery", cannot ever be reasonably deemed "sincere inquiry" -- why shouldn't those behaviors result in inquiry? What are you all afraid of?

Old 03-17-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
So?

It's not "my" divine truth. Divine Truth has not skipped over anything. All men are without excuse, and God is faithful to His promise that whoever seeks will find.
That's your belief.
Millions of other people have different beliefs.
You can decide what you want to believe, but you cannot decide what the ultimate truth is for all mankind.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:
You know what, sure buddy. "Evidence" and "proof" - tom-ay-to, tom-ah-to, right?

You have really GOT to be kidding!

So the only book you have is the Bible? No dictionary? You don't know how to look up the definition of words in the dictionary?

From where do your definitions come from I wonder. Other than from between your ears. Truly special.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Do you really think so? We've got to redefine words for which the definitions were established long ago and easily found in the dictionary? So you can use these words as you see fit regardless their definition?

That's a pretty self-centered and awfully skewed rationale that's very hard to accept, but of course I get it! If you were to use the same "playing field" as I do and others who approach this subject more objectively, you would have no dialogue, let alone a productive one. Interesting how you and others can't see this sort of thing.

"Interesting" to keep it civil here...
I have no problem with the definitions of "faith" found in the dictionary. It all depends on in what sense the word is being used.

I was speaking of faith in the sense of its meaning as a theological virtue and not necessarily in its most generic definitions.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's your belief.
Millions of other people have different beliefs.
You can decide what you want to believe, but you cannot decide what the ultimate truth is for all mankind.
I'm not "deciding" anything for anyone else. How would I even attempt to go about doing that? I don't possess a mind control device.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You have really GOT to be kidding!

So the only book you have is the Bible? No dictionary? You don't know how to look up the definition of words in the dictionary?

From where do your definitions come from I wonder. Other than from between your ears. Truly special.
It's unfortunate that classical education is so lacking in our society, or else you would be familiar with the theological virtues.

Here's a simple primer. Scroll a short ways down to "Catholic Church".

Old 03-17-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I'm not "deciding" anything for anyone else. How would I even attempt to go about doing that? I don't possess a mind control device.
You state your beliefs as facts, publicly.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think that young people should be raised to think for themselves, not treated as property to be manipuated.

All of the things you just said about "truth' wouldn't apply to your thinking if you had been born in many other places in the world. So there's no valid critical thinking involved.
Indeed, and if we learn anything either way, we should have learned what a significant influence inculcation has had in establishing and promoting the predominant religions in all the different parts of the word where they are dominant. Mexico - Christian. Islamic - Indonesia. Most Hindu - India. Buddhists - China, etc. What does this tell us about the truth these religions represent where they are inculcated along to the next generation? Generation after generation.

Yet another reason some people see black where others see white...

What's the difference between inculcate and teach?

https://comparewords.com/inculcate/teach

Right! I forgot we're throwing out the definitions of these words too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality