Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 09:53 AM

25,442 posts, read 9,800,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Speaking only for myself (though I suspect I'm not unusual among unbelievers), I simply see no reason to count on the miraculous. I certainly would have accepted a cure for my prior / 2nd / late wife's illness and asked questions later. I certainly would have accepted my first wife waking up one morning free of schizophrenia and BPD ... I wouldn't have rejected it on the grounds that I don't like miracles. I would have accepted my son's mental health issues getting better rather than worse. Of course. Who would not? And I would not be too proud to ask -- nay, beg -- god for help if I believed in him. I know this, because I used to believe in him, and I did ask.

But after all those events and more, I certainly don't anticipate the miraculous having the slightest positive impact on my life. I have been conditioned by life experience to think it so vanishingly unlikely as to be non-existent.

Another paradox of unbelief is the persistent notion that unbelievers must "hate" god. The irony is that hate is just disappointed love. The opposite of love isn't hate, but indifference. I am merely indifferent now. If I had continued to believe in god, I would be disappointed, and THAT would be hate. As it is now, I'm 110% accepting that life being a series of things happening, some of which I like, some of which I don't, but NONE of which is personal. [shrug]
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2022, 10:05 AM

13,615 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
All you have to do is to provide evidence for your claims. And not only credible evidence, it has to be stronger than that for any counter claims, and explain what we observe better than those counter claims.
I have. Unbelievers are predisposed (often through no fault of their own) into a delusion in which they dismiss actual evidence as "not evidence" and simultaneously accept wild and unfounded speculations as "evidence". They may have faith, but their faith is misguided as it is placed in man rather than God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Perhaps you can start by explaining why so many people need to fake their supernatural claims?
Trying to explain why other people do things is a fool's errand.

Old 03-16-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Among the reasons we don't agree or see things the same way is in large part how you define these terms very differently than I do....
Agreed. If any productive dialogue is to be had, terms have to be defined.

Old 03-16-2022, 11:14 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Definition of faith: belief without evidence.

Old 03-16-2022, 11:27 AM

16,770 posts, read 4,977,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I have. Unbelievers are predisposed (often through no fault of their own) into a delusion in which they dismiss actual evidence as "not evidence" and simultaneously accept wild and unfounded speculations as "evidence". They may have faith, but their faith is misguided as it is placed in man rather than God.
Simply repeating your claim is not providing that evidence.

Quote:
Trying to explain why other people do things is a fool's errand.
That is just dismissing evidence that people need to fake miracles.

Old 03-16-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Definition of faith: belief without evidence.
LOL no I don't accept that definition.

Old 03-16-2022, 12:23 PM

Quote:
LOL no I don't accept that definition.
Once again, you are a minority of one. It is a commonly accepted definition and appears in most dictionaries.

Old 03-16-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Once again, you are a minority of one. It is a commonly accepted definition and appears in most dictionaries.
Prove it. That's an asinine definition and I doubt it's in any dictionary except the one in your own head.

Old 03-16-2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Prove it. That's an asinine definition and I doubt it's in any dictionary except the one in your own head.
One sample is up there in post 20.

Old 03-16-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
One sample is up there in post 20.
I challenge you to read the definition from Post 20, and then compare it to yours.

You can do this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality