Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 09:10 AM

50,983 posts, read 24,476,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The mistake you all make is standard...equating "Faith" (Religious Faith) to believing all the ancient Books and writings are literally true....and not metaphorical and allegorical. And all your unending finger pointing at that, replete with all the mocking interrogation falsely claimed to be "sincere inquiry".
This is where you get all the insulting and mocking "lost keys", "restore lost limbs", and even the age old, bogus Problem of Evil/ Suffering arguments.
But the "fact" you all either avoid, or get all tweaked-out over...is that all those writings tell of this "predisposition to believe" you note....they allegorically say things like "God has written upon our heart" or similar to describe this "predisposition".
And this is why many of the greatest minds to ever exist, and in 2022 in a world full of educated, sophisticated people...the VAST majority can distinctly perceive the existence of God.
It's sad that your faith is so weak that you are so afraid of what you perceive of as "insulting" and "mocking interrogation".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2022, 09:15 AM

13,697 posts, read 8,009,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I agree. This is why upbringing is so important. We need to predispose our children to believe, as was done for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
No, we need to teach our children to evaluate claims for themselves.
These two things are not mutually exclusive. In fact, they go hand in hand.

Quote:
Divine Truth has been revealed to mankind. That's a "fact", to use your terminology. If we have faith, we will assent to it. If we do not have faith, then we will not. That's why it's so important to cultivate the virtue of faith in our lives, so that we will be able to assent to it when it is presented to us.
Quote:
Except your divine truth is different to that of other religions.
There is no "my" divine truth and "your" divine truth. There is only Divine Truth, period.

It's our responsibility to seek it out. Christ has promised that if we seek, we will find; and I've seen His faithfulness to that promise personally.

For some, it was passed down to them as an inheritance. They are responsible for what they do with it.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think that young people should be raised to think for themselves, not treated as property to be manipuated.
I agree. I have never suggested what you're saying.

Quote:
All of the things you just said about "truth' wouldn't apply to your thinking if you had been born in many other places in the world. So there's no valid critical thinking involved.
Yes it would. Divine Truth is not contingent on geography or on my own individual perspective.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:23 AM

50,983 posts, read 24,476,005 times
Quote:
I agree. I have never suggested what you're saying.

Yes it would. Divine Truth is not contingent on geography or on my own individual perspective.

Many societies in the world (both large and small) do not agree with your religious thinking. Odd how your "divine truth" just skipped over those vast localities (not to mention millions of individuals in what you see as the civilized world).

As a few parents said when I used to teach evolution in my earth science classes (state approved and mandated curriculum), "I don't want my son to think".

Old 03-17-2022, 09:27 AM

640 posts, read 452,975 times
Miracles occur quite often in our lives, we just might not see them as being miracles. If you are anti-religious (not just an agnostic with an open mind), no amount of being told of miracles, and even seeing some yourself will convince you that they are not just happy coincidences. There is ALWAYS an "alternative" way to explain a miracle as something that had a natural explanation.

Even the example of a miracle OP cites -- rising from the dead -- could be explained as the person not really being dead, etc.

In my life there were many major and minor miracles, you just need to grasp what really happened. One example: years ago I was visiting Philly and was crossing the street at a busy intersection. I looked this way and that and did not see any traffic, so I went. Suddenly, out or a corner of my eye, I saw a truck rushing toward me from a side street I haven't noticed. The time slowed down, and I saw people in front of me gasping. Somehow I sprinted forward, and the truck whizzed by. I was quite shaken but alive. I call it a miracle; you can call it a lucky break.

That's the difference between the believers and the atheists.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:29 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,668,016 times
Quote:
It's sad that your faith is so weak that you are so afraid of what you perceive of as "insulting" and "mocking interrogation".
What is really the deal...is that some are so intrinsically miserable and hateful that they see their insulting & mocking interrogations as "normal".
I am not "afraid" of this kind of exchange...in fact, I find it entertaining (like a horror movie or "insult comedy") and have noted that.
But drive-by posts about "helping to find lost keys instead of restoration of lost limbs" or "Abrahamic Religion Adherents endorse slavery", cannot ever be reasonably deemed "sincere inquiry".
And that makes up the bulk of what I see here.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:40 AM

16,814 posts, read 5,020,322 times
Quote:
There is no "my" divine truth and "your" divine truth. There is only Divine Truth, period.
So you are a Muslim following the divine truth passed to Muhammad by Gabriel in a cave?

Old 03-17-2022, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Many societies in the world (both large and small) do not agree with your religious thinking.
So?

Quote:
Odd how your "divine truth" just skipped over those vast localities (not to mention millions of individuals in what you see as the civilized world).
It's not "my" divine truth. Divine Truth has not skipped over anything. All men are without excuse, and God is faithful to His promise that whoever seeks will find.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
So you are a Muslim following the divine truth passed to Muhammad by Gabriel in a cave?
Muhammad's claims have to be evaluated against what has already been revealed by God.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:54 AM

16,728 posts, read 15,731,369 times
Quote:
Muhammad's claims have to be evaluated against what has already been revealed by God.
Those claims have been evaluated for 1400 years by billions of people and found credible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality