Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 12:49 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,681,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Definition of faith: belief without evidence.
I had "F-A-I-T-H" (allegiance/sincerity/complete trust/something that is believed with strong conviction) that you would twist it to be an insult of Religious Views (Faith).
There is plenty of evidence...just none that suits you, et al...though more than sufficient for those with the typical perceptive abilities possessed by the vast majority.
Some may think it means that, because of Atheists that make determinations off of "No Evidence"...they even fully admit they have no evidence. They "Lack Belief Based Upon No Evidence". They have no evidence...but still have Faith in their erroneous conclusions that there is no God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2022, 12:54 PM

16,745 posts, read 15,785,493 times
Quote:
Definition of faith: belief without evidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I challenge you to read the definition from Post 20, and then compare it to yours.

You can do this!
Here's what it says: firm belief in something for which there is no proof

That's close enough to what I said.

Old 03-16-2022, 12:57 PM

13,772 posts, read 8,081,418 times
Quote:
Here's what it says: firm belief in something for which there is no proof

That's close enough to what I said.
You know what, sure buddy. "Evidence" and "proof" - tom-ay-to, tom-ah-to, right?

Old 03-16-2022, 01:49 PM

20,177 posts, read 13,610,102 times
Quote:
We don't adhere to empiricism, as it is an empty and sterile philosophy that leads nowhere. It also fails to accurately describe or explain reality.
Are you serious? I left religion precisely and exactly BECAUSE the claims of religion "fail to accurately describe or explain reality". I found THAT an "empty and sterile philosophy that leads nowhere". Empiricism is INFINTIELY better at describing and explaining experienced reality.

And maybe that's the difference ... you don't concern yourself with actual experience, but with some idealized fantasy that you label "reality".

I will say though, although I've never seen anyone use my own verbiage to describe the opposite of an epistemologically viable view of reality, the general concept that "people have faith; therefore, god" is not that unusual, even though incoherent. My previous / late wife felt that way, at least specifically WRT the afterlife. "Billions of people can't be wrong" was her basic thinking.

But yes ... yes they CAN be wrong. Most of the world used to think bleeding with leeches was great medical care, that the sun revolved around the earth, that there were four elements (or three).

Belief does not trump facts. People are not entitled to their own facts.

Old 03-16-2022, 09:55 PM

51,158 posts, read 24,630,842 times
Quote:
But you're predisposed to disbelieve, or "less inclined" as the OP put it.

Faith is not "the demand for belief without evidence". Faith is the evidence.
And you are predisposed to believe. We don't see faith as evidence. In fact, one of the things that bothers me most is when people cannot determine the different between faith and fact.

Old 03-16-2022, 10:28 PM

Quote:
I have. Unbelievers are predisposed (often through no fault of their own) into a delusion in which they dismiss actual evidence as "not evidence" and simultaneously accept wild and unfounded speculations as "evidence". They may have faith, but their faith is misguided as it is placed in man rather than God.

Trying to explain why other people do things is a fool's errand.
For how much of your life were you an atheist?

Old 03-17-2022, 07:37 AM

13,772 posts, read 8,081,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And you are predisposed to believe.
I agree. This is why upbringing is so important. We need to predispose our children to believe, as was done for me.

Quote:
We don't see faith as evidence. In fact, one of the things that bothers me most is when people cannot determine the different between faith and fact.
I understand that.

The problem is that matters of faith are not necessarily empirical. Your use the word "fact" implies that you are of an empiricist mindset, yet the dogmas of the Catholic Faith are just as much "fact" as that Na and Cl combined make salt.

Faith is the habit or virtue of being able to intellectually assent to Truth.

Divine Truth has been revealed to mankind. That's a "fact", to use your terminology. If we have faith, we will assent to it. If we do not have faith, then we will not. That's why it's so important to cultivate the virtue of faith in our lives, so that we will be able to assent to it when it is presented to us.

Old 03-17-2022, 07:41 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,681,172 times
Quote:
And you are predisposed to believe. We don't see faith as evidence. In fact, one of the things that bothers me most is when people cannot determine the different between faith and fact.
The mistake you all make is standard...equating "Faith" (Religious Faith) to believing all the ancient Books and writings are literally true....and not metaphorical and allegorical. And all your unending finger pointing at that, replete with all the mocking interrogation falsely claimed to be "sincere inquiry".
This is where you get all the insulting and mocking "lost keys", "restore lost limbs", and even the age old, bogus Problem of Evil/ Suffering arguments.
But the "fact" you all either avoid, or get all tweaked-out over...is that all those writings tell of this "predisposition to believe" you note....they allegorically say things like "God has written upon our heart" or similar to describe this "predisposition".
And this is why many of the greatest minds to ever exist, and in 2022 in a world full of educated, sophisticated people...the VAST majority can distinctly perceive the existence of God.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:04 AM

16,867 posts, read 5,052,325 times
Default ^C & P fishing for responses

Quote:
I agree. This is why upbringing is so important. We need to predispose our children to believe, as was done for me.
No, we need to teach our children to evaluate claims for themselves.

Quote:
I understand that.

The problem is that matters of faith are not necessarily empirical. Your use the word "fact" implies that you are of an empiricist mindset, yet the dogmas of the Catholic Faith are just as much "fact" as that Na and Cl combined make salt.
Sorry, 'just as much' is different to not at all.

Quote:
Then why do you use that book of straw man philosophy to 'refute' evolution? I suggest you post your arguments in the philosophy forum so that people can show why your arguments fail.

Quote:
Divine Truth has been revealed to mankind. That's a "fact", to use your terminology. If we have faith, we will assent to it. If we do not have faith, then we will not. That's why it's so important to cultivate the virtue of faith in our lives, so that we will be able to assent to it when it is presented to us.
Except your divine truth is different to that of other religions.

Old 03-17-2022, 09:07 AM

Quote:

I understand that.

I think that young people should be raised to think for themselves, not treated as property to be manipuated.

All of the things you just said about "truth' wouldn't apply to your thinking if you had been born in many other places in the world. So there's no valid critical thinking involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality