Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 03:46 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,821 times

Advertisements

Do you think there is truly an eternal pit of fire or is there more of a "life review" of feeling what all their victims felt and eventual constant reincarnation until soul perfection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2022, 03:53 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Do you think there is truly an eternal pit of fire or is there more of a "life review" of feeling what all their victims felt and eventual constant reincarnation until soul perfection?
If they repent and trust Christ they are welcomed into Heaven. If not, they're like anyone else that doesn't. They will be judged and go to hell.

Reincarnation is a fairy tale.

Old 03-04-2022, 04:18 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
There’s a pretty good guide on such matters.
Dante Alighieri Orpheus dissents to hell. It has very detailed description of who gets what.
Fun read.

Old 03-04-2022, 04:23 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
I would agree with experiencing EXACTLY whatever their victims experienced to perfect their understanding and refine out the dross from their Spirit, but I am not sanguine about reincarnation. I would consider a return to this physical earthly existence without memory of my life completely pointless and if I retained my memories it would be a true Hell. Besides the numbers simply don't add up.

Old 03-04-2022, 04:27 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,248,594 times
This is the part I struggled with the most as I was losing my faith.

The only justice is in this life, meted out by man.

Once you die, your body decomposes the same as everyone else's.

The only posthumous punishment is being remembered as a villain. But that has no bite for the already-dead.

Old 03-04-2022, 04:55 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
If they repent and trust Christ they are welcomed into Heaven. If not, they're like anyone else that doesn't. They will be judged and go to hell.

More of this not make fun or insult a religion unless it is NOT your religion?

Is repent and go to Heaven really any different from reincarnation other than whose religuion its from?

Old 03-04-2022, 05:50 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:

Oh, I thought you were so courteous about other religions. My mistake.

Old 03-04-2022, 07:13 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times
Quote:

I think it would be kind of cool to go to heaven and hang out with some of your victims.

Kind of like Paul gets to do.

Old 03-04-2022, 09:58 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,321,444 times
I'm both amused and saddened by those who believe Christianity gives us some kind of cosmic justice - that somehow those who were evil will get exactly what they deserve.

Because that's not how it works. Despite BaptistFundie's snarky response, that is exactly what Christianity teaches - and it is why Christianity is horrifically ammoral. In fact, it's the worst religion still practiced.

The fact that the Hitlers of the world - the Stalins, the Pol Pots, the Saddam Husseins - the Charles Mansons, the Jeffery Dahlmers, the John Wayne Gayces - every pedophile that repeatedly raped young children, pretty much every priest and pastor that ever lured a young boy into the basement with the promise of candy and video games ... they can literally sit at the right hand of God and enjoy Heaven as if they were Saints.

The only thing that will land you in Hell is disbelief. Which means there is no justice for those who have committed insanely evil acts. There is only God's ego. He tosses people into Hell not for being bad but for not giving him the love, the worship, the adoration, and the obedience he demands.

Yes - demands. Only a sicko demands love from someone else.

It means that the vast majority of people will burn. Over two-thirds of the current population will burn.

The vast majority of those people will have been good, decent people. They would have been caring, loving, honest, and charitable. They will have lived law abiding lives, giving whatever they can of themselves to be empathic with their fellow humans. In fact, many of these people will have lived far better lives than many Christians ... in fact, I would argue that they lived better lives than ALL Christians.

Why?

I know I've said this before - but I'm going to say it again because it is so deadly important when understanding the Christian mindset.

Because, see ... it's not enough to simply believe that billions of wonderful people will burn due to things like where and when they were born, who their parents were, what they were taught to believe - often because of circumstances beyond their control.

For instance, how can a sociopath ever gain entrance to Heaven when they are incapable of feeling guilt? Thus no matter how much they may pray, they can't mean what they say - they can't truly repent. Off to the fiery furnace with those people because it's all their fault they were born sociopaths! Burn! Burn!

The worst thing about Christianity - the absolute WORST things - that the average Christian knows is true but cannot come to terms with is this: They must truly believe that all of those billions of good-hearted people DESERVE to be tortured forever - and for nothing more than not joining their cult and worshiping their god.

They deserve it! And Christians have to walk around with that knowledge as they interact with all kinds of non-Christians ... from agnostics to atheists ... to Muslims to Hindus ... to Wiccans to Pagans ... to Taoists and Buddhists ... Shintoists and hundreds of small religions worshiped by specific tribes ... they deserve to experience nothing but horrible pain.

Doesn't matter how many times your Hindu friend loaned you money that you never paid back - and he never complained. Doesn't matter how many times your Pagan friend stayed up all night long as you poured out your problems onto her plate. Doesn't matter how many nights your Wiccan babysitter spent watching your kids so *you* could have fun. Doesn't matter how many times you exploited your friends and family for their kindness and charity - they still deserve to burn.

I really ... REALLY ... do not understand how anyone with a decent moral compass can believe in such absolute evil.

Fortunately, I do NOT believe that everyone who doesn't worship my god and join my religion should burn forever.

But I also cannot say what happens to despots and evil people after they die. Let us all hope that there is justice - and even a measure of revenge - for their victims. At least for awhile. But everyone should be redeemed eventually. What's the point of burning someone forever?

Any good parent will tell you that you punish your children to teach them how to behave and to follow the rules. A punishment is a teachable moment. It isn't so a parent can smack around their kids because they make mistakes. It's not so parents can take out their anger and frustration out on their children.

An eternal punishment makes learning from one's mistakes pointless - it is an act of vengeance, an act of pure anger and evil. Because roasting in Hell teaches nothing.

Old 03-05-2022, 09:31 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I'm both amused and saddened by those who believe Christianity gives us some kind of cosmic justice - that somehow those who were evil will get exactly what they deserve.

Because that's not how it works. ...
I have no idea how it works, but what I find interesting is that many Buddhists look at karma as a sort of cosmic justice, while in reality it's simply cause and effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality