Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 10:08 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
More of this not make fun or insult a religion unless it is NOT your religion?

Is repent and go to Heaven really any different from reincarnation other than whose religuion its from?
Yes. It is. A Christian does not need to relive a life, and there is no question of whether they will have an improved lot or not. We don't worry about coming back as a lower life form, or being born into a higher one. A Christian is welcomed into the presence of God.

Having said that, I notice you aren't taking the anti-Christian crowd to task when they spout off. Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2022, 10:22 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,984,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes. It is. A Christian does not need to relive a life, and there is no question of whether they will have an improved lot or not. We don't worry about coming back as a lower life form, or being born into a higher one. A Christian is welcomed into the presence of God.

Having said that, I notice you aren't taking the anti-Christian crowd to task when they spout off. Why is that?
...maybe BF, because you're the one making a claim; a claim you cannot back up without citing your belief...

...i have no idea what happens after death, neither do you nor any of the poster's...what you 'believe' happens after death is of no consequence, nor does it make it so...

..."Reincarnation is a fairy tale"....please validate that claim you are making, you can't, none of us can....

Old 03-05-2022, 10:38 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:

Because I am not the one demanding my belief be treated ad if it is correct while micking and insulting the beliefs of others.

When the so called anti-Christian crowd act like hypocrites I will call them out too. Either all religions are sarcred or none are. I find your belief of an afterlife no less of a fairytale (your words not mine) than is reincarnation. But i do not post calling it a fairytale . Ibwill say I do not believevin it however you get upset when others call your beliefs a fairytale but you then turn it around and call others beliefd a fairytale. That is what I am calling you out for, expecting or demanding your beliefs be treated as special compared to the beliefs of others.

Old 03-05-2022, 10:41 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I'm both amused and saddened by those who believe Christianity gives us some kind of cosmic justice - that somehow those who were evil will get exactly what they deserve.

Because that's not how it works. Despite BaptistFundie's snarky response, that is exactly what Christianity teaches - and it is why Christianity is horrifically ammoral. In fact, it's the worst religion still practiced.

The fact that the Hitlers of the world - the Stalins, the Pol Pots, the Saddam Husseins - the Charles Mansons, the Jeffery Dahlmers, the John Wayne Gayces - every pedophile that repeatedly raped young children, pretty much every priest and pastor that ever lured a young boy into the basement with the promise of candy and video games ... they can literally sit at the right hand of God and enjoy Heaven as if they were Saints.

The only thing that will land you in Hell is disbelief. Which means there is no justice for those who have committed insanely evil acts. There is only God's ego. He tosses people into Hell not for being bad but for not giving him the love, the worship, the adoration, and the obedience he demands.

Yes - demands. Only a sicko demands love from someone else.

It means that the vast majority of people will burn. Over two-thirds of the current population will burn.

The vast majority of those people will have been good, decent people. They would have been caring, loving, honest, and charitable. They will have lived law abiding lives, giving whatever they can of themselves to be empathic with their fellow humans. In fact, many of these people will have lived far better lives than many Christians ... in fact, I would argue that they lived better lives than ALL Christians.

Why?

I know I've said this before - but I'm going to say it again because it is so deadly important when understanding the Christian mindset.

Because, see ... it's not enough to simply believe that billions of wonderful people will burn due to things like where and when they were born, who their parents were, what they were taught to believe - often because of circumstances beyond their control.

For instance, how can a sociopath ever gain entrance to Heaven when they are incapable of feeling guilt? Thus no matter how much they may pray, they can't mean what they say - they can't truly repent. Off to the fiery furnace with those people because it's all their fault they were born sociopaths! Burn! Burn!

The worst thing about Christianity - the absolute WORST things - that the average Christian knows is true but cannot come to terms with is this: They must truly believe that all of those billions of good-hearted people DESERVE to be tortured forever - and for nothing more than not joining their cult and worshiping their god.

They deserve it! And Christians have to walk around with that knowledge as they interact with all kinds of non-Christians ... from agnostics to atheists ... to Muslims to Hindus ... to Wiccans to Pagans ... to Taoists and Buddhists ... Shintoists and hundreds of small religions worshiped by specific tribes ... they deserve to experience nothing but horrible pain.

Doesn't matter how many times your Hindu friend loaned you money that you never paid back - and he never complained. Doesn't matter how many times your Pagan friend stayed up all night long as you poured out your problems onto her plate. Doesn't matter how many nights your Wiccan babysitter spent watching your kids so *you* could have fun. Doesn't matter how many times you exploited your friends and family for their kindness and charity - they still deserve to burn.

I really ... REALLY ... do not understand how anyone with a decent moral compass can believe in such absolute evil.

Fortunately, I do NOT believe that everyone who doesn't worship my god and join my religion should burn forever.

But I also cannot say what happens to despots and evil people after they die. Let us all hope that there is justice - and even a measure of revenge - for their victims. At least for awhile. But everyone should be redeemed eventually. What's the point of burning someone forever?

Any good parent will tell you that you punish your children to teach them how to behave and to follow the rules. A punishment is a teachable moment. It isn't so a parent can smack around their kids because they make mistakes. It's not so parents can take out their anger and frustration out on their children.

An eternal punishment makes learning from one's mistakes pointless - it is an act of vengeance, an act of pure anger and evil. Because roasting in Hell teaches nothing.
What I find utterly astounding is that someone as young as you are can see things so clearly while so many, many others seem oblivious to it, Shirina. There is something about so many religious beliefs that seems to warp the moral compass beyond the pale. I suspect it is the fear motive "gone wild" that was initially used to tame our inherent savagery and has never been revised.

Old 03-05-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:

Besides you have Gdnrule attacking everyone who fisagrees with your belief but is silent when you attack other beliefs.

Old 03-05-2022, 01:55 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Besides you have Gdnrule attacking everyone who fisagrees with your belief but is silent when you attack other beliefs.
Wrong.
BaptistFundie responds to attacks.
Defense not offense.
Counter not lead.
Same as me.
State your beliefs, extol them even.
Question or inquire about differing beliefs respectfully...don't bash & mock them because you don't agree.
It is impossible to "bash" a belief that isn't held or someone lacks.

Old 03-05-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Wrong.
BaptistFundie responds to attacks.
Defense not offense.
Counter not lead.
Same as me.
State your beliefs, extol them even.
Question or inquire about differing beliefs respectfully...don't bash & mock them because you don't agree.
It is impossible to "bash" a belief that isn't held or someone lacks.
So according to you if a Christian comes out and calls the religious beliefs of a non Christian belief as a fairytale is defensive but cannot be offensive because he is a Christian

OK my belief is that being a hyprocrite is wrong. BaptistFundie has called other non Christian beliefs as false, lies abd fairytales and yet gets upset when people do the same about gis religion. That is beibg a hyprocrite.

You attack anyone who you thibj might be going against Christians and say that religions should nit be attacked byt stay totally silent when a Christian mocks, insults or attacks a different religion. That ia being a hypocrite.

If you actually read what I posted to him I only pointed out that heaven and hell were as much a fairytale as reincarnation and that I used the term fairytale only because that was the term he had used.

If one religion deserves respect here then all religions deserve respect here. If a religion does not deserve respect here than your religion does not eithrr.

I am sorry thatvyou feel only certain peoplwcand religions deserve respect and certain people and religions do not deserve to be treated in the same fashion.

Old 03-05-2022, 02:23 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
So according to you if a Christian comes out and calls the religious beliefs of a non Christian belief as a fairytale is defensive but cannot be offensive because he is a Christian

OK my belief is that being a hyprocrite is wrong. BaptistFundie has called other non Christian beliefs as false, lies abd fairytales and yet gets upset when people do the same about gis religion. That is beibg a hyprocrite.

You attack anyone who you thibj might be going against Christians and say that religions should nit be attacked byt stay totally silent when a Christian mocks, insults or attacks a different religion. That ia being a hypocrite.

If you actually read what I posted to him I only pointed out that heaven and hell were as much a fairytale as reincarnation and that I used the term fairytale only because that was the term he had used.

If one religion deserves respect here then all religions deserve respect here. If a religion does not deserve respect here than your religion does not eithrr.

I am sorry thatvyou feel only certain peoplwcand religions deserve respect and certain people and religions do not deserve to be treated in the same fashion.
I'm saying you're the one who is here almost daily trashing other people's religions. I'm sorry if you got your feelings hurt by someone daring to say another person is wrong.

Old 03-05-2022, 03:54 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
Years ago, my spiritual director ( an old jesuit) and I got into a heated debate about eternal consequences.
I commented that surely Hitler was in hell.

His response was " how do you know?!!"

I think he was right......I don't know

Old 03-05-2022, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I'm saying you're the one who is here almost daily trashing other people's religions. I'm sorry if you got your feelings hurt by someone daring to say another person is wrong.
Just when have I bashed anyone's religion? I may bash how you misuse your religion or claim your Bible says something that you refuse to accept it says.

I have never called your religion false or lies or your belief a fairytale.

Is there not a Commandment against barring false testimony? But you have no business trashing other religions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality