Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 06:12 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I really am not following you.
Perhaps you should pray to god for clarity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2022, 06:29 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,343,664 times
I do. Often.

Old 03-06-2022, 10:22 PM

3,804 posts, read 3,000,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
If they repent and trust Christ they are welcomed into Heaven. If not, they're like anyone else that doesn't. They will be judged and go to hell.

Reincarnation is a fairy tale.
Not all of Christianity believes in Faith Alone theology, or the “once saved, always saved “ dogma.
In saying that, it is highly unlikely that any of these Dictators suddenly “found God”, and repented just before they died.
It’s almost like trying to get a deathbed confession out of a career criminal or murderer.
A rare event in other words.

Old 03-07-2022, 05:28 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Not all of Christianity believes in Faith Alone theology, or the “once saved, always saved “ dogma.
I've never met a Christian that didn't believe faith alone saves.
Quote:
In saying that, it is highly unlikely that any of these Dictators suddenly “found God”, and repented just before they died.
It’s almost like trying to get a deathbed confession out of a career criminal or murderer.
A rare event in other words.
Yes. I agree. Doesn't mean they couldn't have. But that's between them and God.

Old 03-07-2022, 09:41 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,951,020 times
The same thing that happens to good people - Judgment.

Old 03-07-2022, 09:44 AM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I think the latter. There is no heaven/hell paradigm or judgment. There's just seeing our life in review and learning how we hurt others and experiencing their hurt. That's our punishment. This is what hundreds of people who have had these so-called NDE's say. Myself, I"m starting to disbelieve they're even real.
The NDEs are spiritual experiences in an altered state and can be misleading without the ability to test them to see which can be changed by their will. Experiences in altered states that can NOT be altered by our will are the only ones that can be relied on as real. Regardless, what you say is true. It is the actual experiencing of whatever you have wrought. Thankfully, it is corrective and temporary, NOT eternal.

Old 03-07-2022, 10:59 AM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
The same thing that happens to good people - Judgment.
Not judgment as our ancestors interpreted it, but consequences as the wheat and tares are separated from our Spirits.

In Matthew 13, Jesus taught the parable of the wheat and the tares. Tares are weeds that resemble wheat. In the parable, a wheat field had deliberately been polluted by an enemy who sowed the seeds of the weeds intermixed with the wheat. Only after the plants were partly grown did the problem become apparent.

But that does not refer to different people. It refers to the intermixed character of our individual Spirits over our lifetime that grew together and must be refined of the dross.

Old 03-07-2022, 11:13 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,951,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Not judgment as our ancestors interpreted it, but consequences as the wheat and tares are separated from our Spirits.

In Matthew 13, Jesus taught the parable of the wheat and the tares. Tares are weeds that resemble wheat. In the parable, a wheat field had deliberately been polluted by an enemy who sowed the seeds of the weeds intermixed with the wheat. Only after the plants were partly grown did the problem become apparent.

But that does not refer to different people. It refers to the intermixed character of our individual Spirits over our lifetime that grew together and must be refined of the dross.
Which other scholars/theologians/etc. hold to your interpretation, specifically the bolded?

Old 03-07-2022, 12:36 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie
If they repent and trust Christ they are welcomed into Heaven. If not, they're like anyone else that doesn't. They will be judged and go to hell.

Reincarnation is a fairy tale.

Just like having to accept Jesus for your salvation from the fires of hell?

Old 03-07-2022, 12:41 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Thank you for pointing that out. I didn't say christianity was the cause. I see the same thing in the Buddhist world. For example, one day I was talking with the abbot of the Thai Buddhist temple I often attended here in the States. I asked him if he had ever been to Tibet, and he had. I asked him what his impressions were, and he said that half the time he had no idea what the monks were doing. Now some of that is a language problem, but anyone who has been in a Theravada Buddhist temple, and a Zen temple, and a Mahayana temple knows that what goes on in each is drastically different.

The problem I see in christianity is a bit more disturbing, however. For a while when I lived in Colorado Springs I visited several different churches just to see how different they were. One of the churches I visited was the First Congregational Church (loved the architecture). As I sat there taking it all (both in terms of architecture and the service), I couldn't help but wonder why a Methodist or a Presbyterian couldn't comfortably worship here. Why all the separation over minor, petty things. It's not a very good example that Jesus' flock can't worship together on a regular basis.

If Christianity had not borrowed from the Greeks and Zoroastrians this nonsensical sick notion of people burning in hell for eternity, Christianity might have turned out to be a decent religion, along the lines of Buddhism. But foisting on dumb ignorant people this idea you'll burn in hell for not accepting Jesus was purely political--"club 'em over the head and keep clubbing them until they acquiesce and accept Jesus" is what shot the religion's credibility to pieces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality