Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 05:28 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,248,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
If Christianity had not borrowed from the Greeks and Zoroastrians this nonsensical sick notion of people burning in hell for eternity, Christianity might have turned out to be a decent religion, along the lines of Buddhism. But foisting on dumb ignorant people this idea you'll burn in hell for not accepting Jesus was purely political--"club 'em over the head and keep clubbing them until they acquiesce and accept Jesus" is what shot the religion's credibility to pieces.
Eh, heaven and hell is a hard sell.

Promise them heaven, you'll get some people to believe.
Promise them hell, you'll get some more people to believe.
Promise them neither, and you won't get those people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2022, 11:54 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,321,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Wrong.
BaptistFundie responds to attacks.
Defense not offense.
Counter not lead.
Same as me.
State your beliefs, extol them even.
Question or inquire about differing beliefs respectfully...don't bash & mock them because you don't agree.
It is impossible to "bash" a belief that isn't held or someone lacks.
Sorry Golden, but that isn't true.

As I've said in another post somewhere - 99.99% off all the posts I've ever written on this forum had absolutely nothing to do with BaptistFundie. I wasn't quoting him, responding to him, referencing him, or including him in any way whatsoever.

Now, if he wants to defend his religion, he is more than welcome to do so. In fact, I encourage it.

But that's not what he does.

No doubt I could do a search and show you the innumerable times BF has nonchalantly breezed into a conversation he wasn't even participating in beforehand - JUST to leave some snarky, disimissive, or arrogantly smug one-line insult. Naturally every word I write is a "rant."

He attacks me personally. He doesn't defend his religion. He doesn't post counterarguments to my points. Not at all. So while, in a manner of speaking, you can claim BF is "defending" - but what you have to ask, something extremly important, is just what IS it that he's defending?

His religion? No.

But that's all I'll say about that for the moment.

Old 03-08-2022, 12:33 PM

11,068 posts, read 7,135,481 times
I really don't know conclusively, and won't venture to guess. I have suspicions and assumptions, but nothing 100%.

As long as I'm not in that group, I don't need to answer or try to figure it out. I only can be responsible for my life, my actions, and my path. If we wanted to, we could waste all of our time concerning ourselves with other's responsibilities.

Old 03-08-2022, 04:29 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post

As I've said in another post somewhere - 99.99% off all the posts I've ever written on this forum had absolutely nothing to do with BaptistFundie. I wasn't quoting him, responding to him, referencing him, or including him in any way whatsoever.

Now, if he wants to defend his religion, he is more than welcome to do so. In fact, I encourage it.

No doubt I could do a search and show you the innumerable times BF has nonchalantly breezed into a conversation he wasn't even participating in beforehand - JUST to leave some snarky, disimissive, or arrogantly smug one-line insult. Naturally every word I write is a "rant."

He attacks me personally. He doesn't defend his religion. He doesn't post counterarguments to my points. Not at all. So while, in a manner of speaking, you can claim BF is "defending" - but what you have to ask, something extremly important, is just what IS it that he's defending?

His religion? No.

Old 03-09-2022, 08:55 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post

His religion? No.

Please DO show me where I leave one-line snarky arrogant, smug insults. No. I've never attacked you personally. I have corrected you when you've posted wrong things. I'm sorry if you consider that to be arrogant, rude, snarky, smug, etc.

Old 03-09-2022, 09:04 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Please DO show me where I leave one-line snarky arrogant, smug insults. No. I've never attacked you personally. I have corrected you when you've posted wrong things. I'm sorry if you consider that to be arrogant, rude, snarky, smug, etc.
Show you? Okay: "I'm sorry if you consider that to be arrogant, rude, snarky, smug, etc."

That was easy.

Old 03-10-2022, 07:52 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Eh, heaven and hell is a hard sell.

Promise them heaven, you'll get some people to believe.
Promise them hell, you'll get some more people to believe.
Promise them neither, and you won't get those people.

I don't know about that. Buddhism doesn't do a bad job. Americans join it often precisely because they're fleeing Christianity.

Old 03-10-2022, 08:01 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Show you? Okay: "I'm sorry if you consider that to be arrogant, rude, snarky, smug, etc."

That was easy.

Yeah, analyzing it, the entire post is snark, isn't it? maybe not, "No. I've never attacked you personally."

Old 03-10-2022, 08:09 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,248,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I don't know about that. Buddhism doesn't do a bad job. Americans join it often precisely because they're fleeing Christianity.
Christianity and Islam are the largest religions, I believe because both use the heaven and hell carrot and stick.

Old 03-10-2022, 08:31 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,321,444 times
Quote:
*snort*

I can even remember the very first time we ever crossed swords - the entire snarky nonsense that started our slide down Animosity Mountain.

Care for a refresher?

The thread in question was someone asking, "Is there sex in Heaven?"

It was a jokey, light-hearted thread since obviously the sexual nature of the thread caused a lot of humor.

You were not even participating in the conversation.

I remember I posted a facetious comment when I said something like:

"If there is sex in heaven, then it's only the missionary position, with your clothes on, the lights on, it must be for procreation only, no birth control, and no pulling out! Remember Onan!"

Or something like that. It was meant as a big joke about how conservative and even hostile some Christians are about sex.

And BF comes breezing in chewing me out for daring to say something bad about Christianity.

I mean, even JeffBase laughed at my post. JEFFBASE. If anyone remembers JeffBase, he was one of the most fanatical believers this board has ever seen. He and I used to write novels to each other arguing and counterarguing each other.

And yet even he thought my post was funny and didn't try to insult me or correct my behavior.

So there. It was posted like ... last year. Maybe longer. So I'm not going to hunt it down. But it's there if anyone else cares to look.

It's been this way ever since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality