Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 04:34 AM

7,598 posts, read 4,174,155 times

Advertisements

If there is some deeper message beyond the protestation of spells in the books, I prefer to let people spell out their message than do the work for them. Chances are my interpretation or my feelings about it won't be in alignment with their views. I think the easiest message that we can probably both agree with is that we can't control them.

What I find interesting is that the words Gospel and spell have a relationship. But that probably wouldn't interest them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It also means the burners are trying to gain some sort of control.
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2022, 04:35 AM

16,810 posts, read 5,011,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Actually, you are. You're excluding ALL OTHER Christians who DON'T believe in what you've submitted.
Phetaroi submitted what G Duval posted?

Old 02-08-2022, 08:46 AM

50,932 posts, read 24,432,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Actually, you are. You're excluding ALL OTHER Christians who DON'T believe in what you've submitted.

Your title, "Freedom of thought in Christianity" suggests that ALL Christians believe and practice as the small sect in the video. The guy in the video is a zealot. Yes, they profess to be "Christian". Obviously not.

Please don't use the "100" or so "christians" doing this to justify your prejudice against the BILLIONS who don't...
Are you kidding me? This title -- "Freedom of thought in Christianity" -- suggests nothing beyond christianity and freedom of thought. You can't be much more biased than your statement about the mere title.

Yes, of course he's a zealot. A CHRISTIAN zealot. He's part of the christian fabric, whether you like it or not. Once again, you're not the decider as to who is christian.

And btw, read the next post (#44) and see what a faithful catholic has to say about "a long and proud history of book burning".

Last edited by phetaroi; 02-08-2022 at 08:56 AM..

Old 02-08-2022, 08:48 AM

13,679 posts, read 7,988,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No.

Simply no.

If a parent doesn't want his or her child to read a particular book...fine, don't buy the book.

But burning books has a whole other message to it, and it's one of those things that I believe can fairly be described as "evil". What groups have burned books before? Think about it.

Among the groups have been communists and Nazis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_burning
Bad people doing something doesn't make the thing bad in and of itself.

The Catholic Church has a long and proud history of book burning, and I have no qualms with the practice - though it's not effective now as it was in the days before the printing press, but is really only a symbolic act.

Old 02-08-2022, 08:55 AM

50,932 posts, read 24,432,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Bad people doing something doesn't make the thing bad in and of itself.

The Catholic Church has a long and proud history of book burning, and I have no qualms with the practice - though it's not effective now as it was in the days before the printing press, but is really only a symbolic act.
"long and proud history of book burning". It's exactly that type of attitude that shows exactly why I'm proud to have dumped the catholic church. Thank you for validating my decision.

Old 02-08-2022, 08:56 AM

13,679 posts, read 7,988,457 times
Quote:
"long and proud history of book burning". It's exactly that type of attitude that shows exactly why I'm proud to have dumped the catholic church. Thank you for validating my decision.
I knew you'd like that

Old 02-08-2022, 09:00 AM

5,668 posts, read 3,176,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Humans are known to burn (or blast/burn) villages & cities full of people because we don't agree with aspects of how they are.
People burn Bibles, flags, memorabilia, etc...because it represents something they don't prefer for whatever reason.
That's just how people have always been, are, and will always be. Just how it is.

And far better than burning people at the stake.

Some church congregation wants to burn books? Eh. Who cares. Hope someone brought marshmallows.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:01 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,604,881 times
Quote:
No.

Simply no.

If a parent doesn't want his or her child to read a particular book...fine, don't buy the book.

But burning books has a whole other message to it, and it's one of those things that I believe can fairly be described as "evil". What groups have burned books before? Think about it.

Among the groups have been communists and Nazis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_burning
Not to forget the burning of the library of Alexandria, which destroyed the greatest knowledge repository of the ancient world. Although not most books were destroyed when Julius Ceaser burned it, Christians and later Muslims ensure none remained by further turnings of any they could find in sister libraries.

Yeah religion!!

Old 02-08-2022, 09:06 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,604,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
That's much ado about nothing. The OP is obviously anti-Christian, and the chattering class is as well. But there is nothing special about burning non-religious books. They are just pieces of paper bound together. It doesn't look good, because of what the Nazis and the Communists have done, but other than that -- what's the big deal?

Burning a Bible, on the other hand, is a problem, to say the least. It is sacred book to billions of people.
I see no difference in burning a book of magical thinking like Harry Potter and burning books of magical thinking like a bible, book of mormon or koran.

Fairy tales are fairy tales.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:08 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,049,405 times
The sad thing is that the OP can't see a difference between a wingnut like Locke and other Christians.

But it is ironic that we see the OP and others attacking Christianity with the same vigor that Locke goes after Harry Potter. Sure, there isn't any book burnings, but only because I don't think they have the guts to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality