Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 08:41 PM

640 posts, read 457,123 times

Advertisements

That's much ado about nothing. The OP is obviously anti-Christian, and the chattering class is as well. But there is nothing special about burning non-religious books. They are just pieces of paper bound together. It doesn't look good, because of what the Nazis and the Communists have done, but other than that -- what's the big deal?

Burning a Bible, on the other hand, is a problem, to say the least. It is sacred book to billions of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2022, 09:17 PM

51,254 posts, read 24,711,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
That's much ado about nothing. The OP is obviously anti-Christian, and the chattering class is as well. But there is nothing special about burning non-religious books. They are just pieces of paper bound together. It doesn't look good, because of what the Nazis and the Communists have done, but other than that -- what's the big deal?

Burning a Bible, on the other hand, is a problem, to say the least. It is sacred book to billions of people.
There is 'something special' about burning ANY books, because it means the burners are afraid.

Anyone who thinks that a Harry Potter book is a threat to christianity is either very afraid or very stupid.

Old 02-06-2022, 11:55 PM

88,972 posts, read 85,489,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There is 'something special' about burning ANY books, because it means the burners are afraid.

Anyone who thinks that a Harry Potter book is a threat to christianity is either very afraid or very stupid.
It also means the burners are trying to gain some sort of control.

Old 02-07-2022, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It also means the burners are trying to gain some sort of control.
The one "control" regarding books that I do believe in is in terms of age appropriateness in schools.

A book may not be appropriate for a primary school, but appropriate for a middle school. Or a book may not be appropriate for a middle school, but appropriate for a high school. And it's not censorship because the book is typically available in the PUBLIC library, bookstores, and online.

As a principal I was once on a county-wide committee for just that purpose. I don't think we ever banned a book, including any religious books, but we did make decisions about age appropriateness. I remember one controversial book we had to deal with was "The Giver", which I am sure many of our posters are familiar with.

But you cannot have a true educational experience if you ban or burn books, particularly, I think, in regard to religion. We had the bible in our school library, the Koran, and scripture books from other religions. I don't think almost any students every chose to look at them, but they were there.

Old 02-07-2022, 09:55 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,357,435 times
Quote:

Burning the Bible is special because ir means something to you. Burning other books is fine because it means nothing to you.I

Was there any difference to you from burning a Bible and the pastor in Flirida burning the Quran?

Old 02-07-2022, 10:19 AM

3,573 posts, read 1,193,368 times
Quote:
there is Christianity and christianity, this little sect ideas doesn't define Christianity.

Old 02-07-2022, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
there is Christianity and christianity, this little sect ideas doesn't define Christianity.
They may not define it, but they are a part of it.

Old 02-07-2022, 10:36 AM

Quote:

Let's get something clear to start off with. I'm not anti-chrisian. I am anti-chrisian-overreach.

As another poster asked, how did you feel about christians burning the Koran?

The fact that the bible is a big deal to you...big deal. To many of us, it's just a fictional book.

Old 02-07-2022, 11:11 AM

88,972 posts, read 85,489,012 times
Quote:
Let's get something clear to start off with. I'm not anti-chrisian. I am anti-chrisian-overreach.

As another poster asked, how did you feel about christians burning the Koran?

The fact that the bible is a big deal to you...big deal. To many of us, it's just a fictional book.
Question: You were formerly a Christian, Catholic and then Methodist, IIRC.

Would any of the Christians in the churches that you attended have participated in a book-burning ceremony?

This is not a "gotcha" in any way. Honest question. I do not know any Christians who have ever done such a thing, and I can't picture anyone in any churches I ever attended burning books, not even the Calvinistic, literalist one I attended as a child. The Episcopalians would not care, of course, and would probably look for Christian themes in Harry Potter, but the Reformed Church people would likely just warn Christians to stay away from them.

Pretty sure this is an activity participated in by a minority of Christians. That does not reduce the horror of it or the danger that such bad behavior could spread, of course.

Old 02-07-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Question: You were formerly a Christian, Catholic and then Methodist, IIRC.

Would any of the Christians in the churches that you attended have participated in a book-burning ceremony?

This is not a "gotcha" in any way. Honest question. I do not know any Christians who have ever done such a thing, and I can't picture anyone in any churches I ever attended burning books, not even the Calvinistic, literalist one I attended as a child. The Episcopalians would not care, of course, and would probably look for Christian themes in Harry Potter, but the Reformed Church people would likely just warn Christians to stay away from them.

Pretty sure this is an activity participated in by a minority of Christians. That does not reduce the horror of it or the danger that such bad behavior could spread, of course.
Right. Age 8-16 I was methodist. Age 16-37, Catholic.

Of course I can't be sure, but I don't think any of the Christians I knew would have participated in book burning. But I do think many would have agreed with book banning in the schools and the Kings Daughters Free Library in town.

Of course, my town had some non-noble history in forcing Joseph Smith out of town, and even when I was a child townspeople claimed that Joseph Smith was thrown out of town because he was a horse thief, not because of the Mormon religion he founded. Historically there is no evidence whatsoever of him being a horse thief. So I'm not sure what I can attribute to our town's people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality