Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 07:46 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,062,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Though I do have Faith in Jesus Christ and find wisdom in the Bible I will agree that some Christian sects take things to far. I'm not a church goer. Never have been never will be though I do enjoy fellowshipping when non dogmatic folks are around. I don't trouble folks over their religion and ask the same for myself. I will discuss but I won't argue.

Odd thing is the lady in my life and I didn't think there would ever be another after my last who I lost in a tragic manner is a Jehovah's Witness. She's actually breaking with dogma my even having me close to her at all let alone as a partner. I am not and will never declare myself as a JW and our close association is quite against one of that sects prime tenets. Devout members do not even have non members as friends let alone companion partners. But we've been through a LOT together, much tragedy and loss, abuse, great physical injury and we stood by each other through it all regardless of declared Faith.

She actually is risking being shunned for her relationship with me. She doesn't attend at the Hall and only speaks about her Faith with a couple of select close people of which I am one. I understand the whole "holier than thou" thing. But we both feel strongly that Jehovah (what name someone chooses to call Him by is of no matter to me) put us together for a reason. Not all people of Faith, any Faith, are "holier than thou" types who practice pompous self grandeur. The JW Faith has a lot of those latter types. But I don't judge my lady for her profession of that Faith and she does not in turn judge me for my not professing any one belief.

The "ostracizing" or looking down on people due to Faith isn't a constant. In organized religion that has some yahoo pounding on a pulpit declaring to know the mind of the Almighty, God, The Lord, Jehovah, Yahweh or by any name yes that's common enough. But there's exceptions to everything. We have been given free will and if we choose to interpret Scripture our own way and live our lives being grateful for the people in our lives He has seen us choose to be with and we have seen our relationships flower in His Grace devoid of dogmatic arcane tenets that dictate we can't do thus and remain in Grace what do we do? We keep on keeping on, that's what.

If any people of any Faith choose to ostracize, shun us, declare us to be unworthy to methat shows me and people like my lady that it's those people who are unworthy. Imbecilically so. Who can actually declare to know the mind of the Almighty? That is the ultimate arrogance.
Similar here, my late wife was born into and raised as a JW…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality