Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 02:37 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,455,271 times

Advertisements

I was raised in a catholic household,we weren't fanatical but we still went through the motions. When I left home around age 20 I traveled a bit and started meeting people of different faiths,mainly Christian & Baptist. But my life has been pretty rough anyway.
My half brother converted to Jehovah's Witness years before,and today has a better life than everyone in the family combined. He started out in window tinting and built a business from that,then semi retired and met a woman who works in real estate,so now he's basically doubled his income to where they can literally travel the world. His young son also earned about $500k last year in the tinting business.
One year I went to his wedding anniversary celebration and met the people from his church,they all seemed successful or were on their way to that.
My question is these people never seem to have a bad day,is there something to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2022, 02:46 PM

33,382 posts, read 26,679,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I was raised in a catholic household,we weren't fanatical but we still went through the motions. When I left home around age 20 I traveled a bit and started meeting people of different faiths,mainly Christian & Baptist. But my life has been pretty rough anyway.
My half brother converted to Jehovah's Witness years before,and today has a better life than everyone in the family combined. He started out in window tinting and built a business from that,then semi retired and met a woman who works in real estate,so now he's basically doubled his income to where they can literally travel the world. His young son also earned about $500k last year in the tinting business.
One year I went to his wedding anniversary celebration and met the people from his church,they all seemed successful or were on their way to that.
My question is these people never seem to have a bad day,is there something to it?
The Watchtower organization brainwashes its members. Do yourself a favor and stay far away from the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Old 01-29-2022, 03:12 PM

9,705 posts, read 10,082,523 times
Jesus does not help people to be lucky, as lucky is a substitute for faith, so God would not help people like that ....... Even lady luck is a demonic attribute, so if JW are lucky it would be bad news ..... Jesus Holy Spirit would say that they need development and need to invite Holy Spirit into their belief and let Him interpret the Word of God for them

Old 01-29-2022, 03:27 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,357,435 times
Sucessful peope tend to br friends with other sucessful people. Probably poor JW are not friends hence not invited to the wedding.

Thinking that being JW makes you sucessful is as qrong as thinking that all Jews are rich or all Natives are uneducated and drunks.

My late Mother in Law was a JW and my family are ethnic Jews. She was not sucessful and my family are not rich.

If you are lookingfor religion to make you rich or scucessful aim at becoming either an evangelical television pastor or start a religion from scratch. You probably do not need to even believe to do either.

Old 01-29-2022, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
If you are lookingfor religion to make you rich or scucessful aim at becoming either an evangelical television pastor or start a religion from scratch. You probably do not need to even believe to do either.
I can't even sell vitamins,how would I get people to follow a religion.

Old 01-29-2022, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
The Watchtower organization brainwashes its members. Do yourself a favor and stay far away from the Jehovah's Witnesses.
I had heard that,but my brother doesn't seem to have changed over the years or hasn't tried to convert me. Maybe he got into it for the chicks

Old 01-29-2022, 08:24 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,357,435 times
Quote:
I can't even sell vitamins,how would I get people to follow a religion.
I have no clue how some of thise TV pastors get anyone to even watch them let alone send them funds.

Its not your religion but your self confidence and value of yourself that needs to be changed.

Bwcome a JW, a Jew, Mormon or atheist and you will still have problem selling vitamins.

Old 01-29-2022, 08:27 PM

20,241 posts, read 13,648,061 times
Association is not cause.

Good luck doesn't come from some cosmic justice system or a sky wizard.

You're overthinking the problem. Your brother found a business he's good at, and yes, had some measure of good fortune. He goes to an upscale JW Kingdom Hall. Like most authoritarian theists, he probably has some measure of smug belief that he's being rewarded for being right. But in truth, whether it's a church or some other sort of hobby club, associating with other successful people tends to rub off on you, all things being equal (which sometimes they are not).

Brothers can be very different. My wife and I were just looking at some old photos today. Her father and his brother was in one, when they were probably about 10 and 6, respectively. Her father was already handsome, his younger brother looked kind of hapless and plain and had round glasses and thin hair, which eventually would mostly fall out, and was severely color-blind. Yet the younger brother was the witty, popular kid, and despite being bald and nothing special in the looks department, rose to be a Grand Pooh-Bah in some giant insurance company, with a whole penthouse suite to himself. My wife's Dad didn't do too badly for himself financially either, but after his first wife and real love of his life both went crazy and died of cancer, he married very badly, twice, and his personal life did not go very well. Subjectively he feels very much in the shadow of his younger brother, who is frankly more likable, too.

I don't think anyone would have predicted that outcome when they were kids. Like I said ... life is just a series of things happening. It's not super predictable, coherent, or fair. It just IS.

That's not to suggest that there's nothing one can do to improve their circumstances or their responses to same. Just that it's a waste of energy to try to make sense of why two people can start from the same set of parents and have completely different outcomes, or why some people seem to have an excess of good or bad luck, independent of effort or intent.

In your case, though, I would NOT assume that your life is destined to be this way forever. And assuming that could be a self fulfilling prophecy. I'd ask myself, is it really that bad? Am I overlooking advantages and positives? What are the actual patterns and common denominators in my life that I have any actual control over and what rational conclusions CAN I draw from them? To do that, you'll have to get very specific with yourself. You're not doing that here, which is fine ... you get to decide what you share even quasi-publicly, but at least in the privacy of your own thoughts, you should be able to separate out something besides "crap falling from the sky for no reason" that you can actually work with. If you can't, then ask for help with it, from someone you respect and trust, and then actually listen to what they say.

Old 01-30-2022, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Its not your religion but your self confidence and value of yourself that needs to be changed.
I've had just enough 'confidence' and value to get by,just not convincing enough apparently.

Old 02-26-2022, 05:46 PM

10,116 posts, read 5,031,848 times
Quote:
I've had just enough 'confidence' and value to get by, just not convincing enough apparently.
Truth11, Jesus taught about truth - religious truth - aka Scripture - John 17:17.
Thus, Jesus' confidence was placed in Scripture and taught his followers to have the same confidence - Matthew 24:14.
In every walk of life we find people who are well off and not well off, those who put 'God's kingdom' (Daniel 2:44) first in life will have ' spiritual blessings ' whether rich or not.
- www.jw.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality