Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 02:05 PM

663 posts, read 307,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
It also serves as a protection the bible teaches. But it meant a little not alot of money. Jesus promised his Father would provide-sustenance, covering, spirituality if one put the kingdom First and sought his(Jehovah) righteousness first as well in their lives-Matt 6:33-Matt 6-- a promise every JW knows is truth.
Clearly you are part of the sect. What makes them outside of Christianity... is the endless only they have all truth. Truth back to the early days with new-light changes over decades.

I never thought of God revealing truths in spurts and teaching having all truth and ... Bam a change called New-Light occured. God need not change and the Bible was assembled and revealed to those labeled Apostates even then by them.

I have relatives still in the group. I have had many discussions with them in past decades. Mostly very civil. Took my looking into the history of their teachings and the history of the evolution and division of the Church and assembling of the Bible to the books chosen to be part of it. Till I had to realize .... it cannot be only them.

Also to realize. The predictions that came and went were a scourge of man in their organized religion. Yet the we have the only truth prevailed and new doctrines came in New-Light claimed in a change. A instant switch acting as if the previous one never was.

I realized that without a linage thru the Church and whom they label Christendom and the huge divisions and new sects that arose in the 19th century in America alone. That there would not have been the JWs.

They too had a origin out of the Church and a huge split till the Russellites ultimately became the JWs.

Its history is enlightening and the Church and splits in general.

Still, there is no real reason to deny all others claiming Jesus (Yeshua or Jehovah) whichever is the term you prefer. The original name was lost. The concept of whom we refer to was not.

Such irony the Bible assembly and term Jehovah .... they use. Came thru the Church and even Catholic Church.

There is no new Bible sent to them. Re-interpretations yes. Never heard a revised NWT JW Bible was coming? Been many years I every looked into their new happenings.

Just knew too many Christians thru Churches ... to write them off as naive and sincerely deceived they were to be denied the Kingdom... or needing them to re-teach them in the next age on earth.

My heaven will be wherever Jesus-Yesshua, Jehovah, YHVH is. To claim it is only upon the earh alone or it destroys Faith I totally deny is how God revealed his truth.

Lucky? They are in the same boat as Christianity ... Christendom to them. A struggling base and a increasing disfellowshiping issue too lost members. Even my relatives shun a daughter/grand daughter. Sad indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2022, 04:49 PM

9,364 posts, read 13,028,693 times
If I recall correctly, the one thing all the other Christians agree on is that Jehovah’s Witnesses and Latter Day Saints are not Christians.

Old 03-11-2022, 05:08 PM

20,052 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
If I recall correctly, the one thing all the other Christians agree on is that Jehovah’s Witnesses and Latter Day Saints are not Christians.
A lot of Christians consider both sects to be heretical, which they objectively are, in terms of the historic Christian creeds. JWs deny the trinity and the divinity of Jesus, for example, and mormons deny Sola Scriptura. Yet, they both want to be considered Christian reform movements; they both claim to restore the original / "primitive" Christianity which has long been corrupted / perverted. This is how they get around the creeds; they claim the creeds themselves are heretical, essentially.

Some Christians just regard them as another denomination, but they tend not to be very theologically knowledgeable Christians in my experience.

Personally of course I have zero skin in the game anymore and I certainly don't assume bad things about members of either group but if someone held a gun to my had and said I had to spend the rest of my life in one or the other sect, it would definitely be the Mormons. At least as a Mormon you don't live in fear of being shunned at the first sign of non-conformity or insufficient piety, you can get a blood transfusion if you need one, and they don't discourage their young from getting a higher education. Mormons are also on balance a lot less proselytizing, outside of the door to door conscription of their young.

Old 03-11-2022, 05:52 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,923,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
Clearly you are part of the sect. What makes them outside of Christianity... is the endless only they have all truth. Truth back to the early days with new-light changes over decades.

I never thought of God revealing truths in spurts and teaching having all truth and ... Bam a change called New-Light occured. God need not change and the Bible was assembled and revealed to those labeled Apostates even then by them.

I have relatives still in the group. I have had many discussions with them in past decades. Mostly very civil. Took my looking into the history of their teachings and the history of the evolution and division of the Church and assembling of the Bible to the books chosen to be part of it. Till I had to realize .... it cannot be only them.

Also to realize. The predictions that came and went were a scourge of man in their organized religion. Yet the we have the only truth prevailed and new doctrines came in New-Light claimed in a change. A instant switch acting as if the previous one never was.

I realized that without a linage thru the Church and whom they label Christendom and the huge divisions and new sects that arose in the 19th century in America alone. That there would not have been the JWs.

They too had a origin out of the Church and a huge split till the Russellites ultimately became the JWs.

Its history is enlightening and the Church and splits in general.

Still, there is no real reason to deny all others claiming Jesus (Yeshua or Jehovah) whichever is the term you prefer. The original name was lost. The concept of whom we refer to was not.

Such irony the Bible assembly and term Jehovah .... they use. Came thru the Church and even Catholic Church.

There is no new Bible sent to them. Re-interpretations yes. Never heard a revised NWT JW Bible was coming? Been many years I every looked into their new happenings.

Just knew too many Christians thru Churches ... to write them off as naive and sincerely deceived they were to be denied the Kingdom... or needing them to re-teach them in the next age on earth.

My heaven will be wherever Jesus-Yesshua, Jehovah, YHVH is. To claim it is only upon the earh alone or it destroys Faith I totally deny is how God revealed his truth.

Lucky? They are in the same boat as Christianity ... Christendom to them. A struggling base and a increasing disfellowshiping issue too lost members. Even my relatives shun a daughter/grand daughter. Sad indeed.

Gods personal name was in the OT in nearly 6800 spots. Wicked men removed it and replaced it with GOD or LORD all capitols. God wants his name known. It wasnt men who made his name known, it was God who made his name known, And Jesus promised to keep on making it known-John 17:6,26
That name belongs in the NT as well, even Jerome said that back in the 300,s.
Doesnt one find it strange that religions that claim to love God, but then condemn the translators who proved the love by putting his name back where it belongs?
Disfellowshipping is much better than Gods OT method of stoning to death the unrepentent, dont you think?

Old 03-11-2022, 05:57 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,348,330 times
I spent a couple hours talking with a Morman bishop on the steps of their cathedral in Salt Lake city.

I began the conversation by saying I believe in an old guy who walked up a mountain in the middle east, where God wrote down some rules on stone tablets.
And he believed in a guy who walked into a field in New York, found some gold tablets, and read them with magic glasses.
In other words, both of our traditions require a unique belief.

That broke the ice. Turns out we had a lot more that united us then divided us.

I have known some of their young missionaries. Got to hand to them for their work ethic and devotion.

Old 03-11-2022, 05:57 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,923,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post

Only in their darkness. I have studied all sides for over 60 years. I studied Jesus carefully. His teachings and the facts of Israelite God worship history back the JW teachers all the way, and expose the rest as false-0 doubt.
In 1822 a bible translator compared side by side Greek and English NT-a god, small g in the last line at John 1:1--he was 100% correct. There were many other translations in history as well. Only rejected by trinitarians who live in darkness of the religion that came out of Romes translating. Their own encyclopedia teaches-the apostles knew nothing of a trinity God. Because God was never a trinity.

Old 03-11-2022, 06:19 PM

50,906 posts, read 24,413,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I spent a couple hours talking with a Morman bishop on the steps of their cathedral in Salt Lake city.

I began the conversation by saying I believe in an old guy who walked up a mountain in the middle east, where God wrote down some rules on stone tablets.
And he believed in a guy who walked into a field in New York, found some gold tablets, and read them with magic glasses.
In other words, both of our traditions require a unique belief.

That broke the ice. Turns out we had a lot more that united us then divided us.

I have known some of their young missionaries. Got to hand to them for their work ethic and devotion.
I'm from the birthplace of Mormonism -- Palmyra, NY. Joseph Smith's home was right over the back hill from us. Like you I've met lots of fine Mormon men and women. I don't agree with their religion...but that's fine.

For those of us who are atheist, it's that word I bolded above that is one of our primary objections.

Old 03-11-2022, 07:21 PM

63,888 posts, read 40,164,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
A lot of Christians consider both sects to be heretical, which they objectively are, in terms of the historic Christian creeds. JWs deny the trinity and the divinity of Jesus, for example, and Mormons deny Sola Scriptura. Yet, they both want to be considered Christian reform movements; they both claim to restore the original / "primitive" Christianity which has long been corrupted/perverted. This is how they get around the creeds; they claim the creeds themselves are heretical, essentially.

Some Christians just regard them as another denomination, but they tend not to be very theologically knowledgeable Christians in my experience.

Personally of course I have zero skin in the game anymore and I certainly don't assume bad things about members of either group but if someone held a gun to my head and said I had to spend the rest of my life in one or the other sect, it would definitely be the Mormons. At least as a Mormon, you don't live in fear of being shunned at the first sign of non-conformity or insufficient piety, you can get a blood transfusion if you need one, and they don't discourage their young from getting a higher education. Mormons are also on balance a lot less proselytizing, outside of the door-to-door conscription of their young.
There never should have been the use of heresy, persecution, or violence to eliminate revised interpretations. That is not how human knowledge is preserved or advanced. We are all looking at and interpreting the same world. Only by preserving the different perspectives can we conceivably discern the actual truth eventually.

They each contain some aspect of truth. This is what jumped out at me as I pored over the spiritual fossil record from its inception seeking the God I encountered
. Every one of them has some truth in it albeit obscured by the corruptions of human ignorance, culture, agendas, vanity, and hubris. The pretense that only ONE has any truth in it or that the extant interpretations of one are the only or best are preposterous.

Old 03-11-2022, 07:32 PM

663 posts, read 307,891 times
Quote:
Gods personal name was in the OT in nearly 6800 spots. Wicked men removed it and replaced it with GOD or LORD all capitols. God wants his name known. It wasn't men who made his name known, it was God who made his name known, And Jesus promised to keep on making it known-John 17:6,26
That name belongs in the NT as well, even Jerome said that back in the 300,s.
Doesnt one find it strange that religions that claim to love God, but then condemn the translators who proved the love by putting his name back where it belongs?
Disfellowshipping is much better than Gods OT method of stoning to death the unrepentent, dont you think?
The origins of -- Jehovah the term. Predates JWs conciderably.ACCEPT IT.

When Christian scholars began to study the Old Testament in Hebrew, if they were ignorant of this general rule or regarded the substitution as a piece of Jewish superstition, reading what actually stood in the text, they would inevitably pronounce the name Jĕhōvāh. It is an unprofitable inquiry who first made this blunder; probably many fell into it independently. The statement still commonly repeated that it originated with Petrus Galatinus (1518) is erroneous; Jehova occurs in manuscripts at least as early as the 14th century.

The form Jehovah was used in the 16th century by many authors, both Catholic and Protestant, and in the 17th was zealously defended by Fuller, Gataker, Leusden and others, against the criticisms of such scholars as Drusius, Cappellus and the elder Buxtorf. It appeared in the English Bible in Tyndale’s translation of the Pentateuch (1530), and is found in all English Protestant versions of the 16th century except that of Coverdale (1535). In the Authorized Version of 1611 it occurs in Exod. vi. 3; Ps. lxxxiii. 18; Isa. xii. 2; xxvi. 4, beside the compound names Jehovah-jireh, Jehovah-nissi, Jehovah-shalom; elsewhere, in accordance with the usage of the ancient versions, Jhvh is represented by Lord (distinguished by capitals from the title “Lord,” Heb. adonay). In the Revised Version of 1885 Jehovah is retained in the places in which it stood in the A. V., and is introduced also in Exod. vi. 2, 6, 7, 8; Ps. lxviii. 20; Isa. xlix. 14; Jer. xvi. 21; Hab. iii. 19. The American committee which cooperated in the revision desired to employ the name Jehovah wherever Jhvh occurs in the original, and editions embodying their preferences are printed accordingly.

Old 03-11-2022, 11:52 PM

16,809 posts, read 5,007,458 times
Quote:
Only in their darkness. I have studied all sides for over 60 years. I studied Jesus carefully. His teachings and the facts of Israelite God worship history back the JW teachers all the way, and expose the rest as false-0 doubt.
In 1822 a bible translator compared side by side Greek and English NT-a god, small g in the last line at John 1:1--he was 100% correct. There were many other translations in history as well. Only rejected by trinitarians who live in darkness of the religion that came out of Romes translating. Their own encyclopedia teaches-the apostles knew nothing of a trinity God. Because God was never a trinity.

The small 'g' is a translation that did not exist in the original Greek. I have explained this to you before. You reject the alternative valid translation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality