Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 07:01 AM

20,043 posts, read 13,512,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
There are so many different types of humans with different physical characteristics across the world that I do not believe we could all have come up through evolution. What is more, we are not moving towards one well-adapted form of human with similar physical characteristics but we seem to be staying in the different race lanes.

What happened before the earliest fossils (150,000 ??) years ago? We dont really have any idea do we?
Evolution is an excellent explanation for diversity of characteristics. It also does not predict some sort of convergence on an ideal (that is not what the term "convergent evolution" means), particularly since it describes a chaotic system that is always changing. Indeed, evolution is not keeping up with many relatively rapid aspects of human development. We are, for example, rather ill-suited to urban lifestyles, because from a dietary and behavioral perspective, our minds and bodies are still more oriented to a hunter-gatherer kind of existence. Evolution is often slower than developments on the ground.

The earliest fossils are way older than 150,000 years old. Many are tens of millions of years old. And yes we have ideas about "what happened before".

You should really read up more on what the TOE says and doesn't say, what it is silent on, and how it actually works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2021, 07:32 AM

50,884 posts, read 24,393,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Evolution is an excellent explanation for diversity of characteristics. It also does not predict some sort of convergence on an ideal (that is not what the term "convergent evolution" means), particularly since it describes a chaotic system that is always changing. Indeed, evolution is not keeping up with many relatively rapid aspects of human development. We are, for example, rather ill-suited to urban lifestyles, because from a dietary and behavioral perspective, our minds and bodies are still more oriented to a hunter-gatherer kind of existence. Evolution is often slower than developments on the ground.

The earliest fossils are way older than 150,000 years old. Many are tens of millions of years old. And yes we have ideas about "what happened before".

You should really read up more on what the TOE says and doesn't say, what it is silent on, and how it actually works.
His post confused me when I first read it. I think maybe he was talking about human fossils?

Old 12-26-2021, 07:50 AM

20,043 posts, read 13,512,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
His post confused me when I first read it. I think maybe he was talking about human fossils?
You may be right.

Old 12-26-2021, 08:01 AM

1,799 posts, read 563,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

In my 20+ years of experience on sites like this, creationist types very much have a decided interest in avoiding the bolded as much as possible . Education about what they are rejecting out of hand is definitely not desired.

Of course , I found the same about 911 conspiracy theorists when I was discussing that in the years after 911. These type folks, from creationists to flat Earthers to 911 truthers, are intent on ignoring evidence at all costs so they can maintain their beliefs.

Old 12-26-2021, 08:04 AM

50,884 posts, read 24,393,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
In my 20+ years of experience on sites like this, creationist types very much have a decided interest in avoiding the bolded as much as possible . Education about what they are rejecting out of hand is definitely not desired.

Of course , I found the same about 911 conspiracy theorists when I was discussing that in the years after 911. These type folks, from creationists to flat Earthers to 911 truthers, are intent on ignoring evidence at all costs so they can maintain their beliefs.
If you've never watched "Inherit The Wind" with Spencer Tracy, you should get a copy. Not much has changed for the creationists.

Old 01-01-2022, 02:45 AM

6,957 posts, read 6,888,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post

And...this is the Religion & Spirituality forum.
Do you think the religious and the scientific folks are immune to this maintaining of their beliefs, do you?

There is plenty of evidence for "human" artifacts older than human fossils of ~150,000 years ago. Plenty of stuff found in coal for example which takes millions of years to form. But... it is all fake and hoaxes right?

Given that we have reports throughout history of strange flying machines, and interactions with what has been described as 'angels', which is more likely - that we are some kind of product of alien genetic technology or that we just evolved from early ape-like hominoids.

If there is a possibility there was an interaction with aliens, then it is likely this alien race is what humans have called "God" because they saw those beings as far more evolved than us humans.

Old 01-01-2022, 10:20 AM

33,286 posts, read 26,494,624 times
Quote:
Do you think the religious and the scientific folks are immune to this maintaining of their beliefs, do you?

There is plenty of evidence for "human" artifacts older than human fossils of ~150,000 years ago. Plenty of stuff found in coal for example which takes millions of years to form. But... it is all fake and hoaxes right?

Given that we have reports throughout history of strange flying machines, and interactions with what has been described as 'angels', which is more likely - that we are some kind of product of alien genetic technology or that we just evolved from early ape-like hominoids.

If there is a possibility there was an interaction with aliens, then it is likely this alien race is what humans have called "God" because they saw those beings as far more evolved than us humans.
Since both fossil and genetic evidence shows that humans and the other three great ape species (gorillas, chimpanzees, and orangutans) evolved from a common ancestor, there really is no room for doubt as to human origins. At least not among those of us who accept scientific evidence.

Old 01-04-2022, 02:47 PM

10,500 posts, read 7,031,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Since both fossil and genetic evidence shows that humans and the other three great ape species (gorillas, chimpanzees, and orangutans) evolved from a common ancestor, there really is no room for doubt as to human origins. At least not among those of us who accept scientific evidence.
There has never been any evidence of a genome change in man or in the history of the world.

Old 01-14-2022, 11:55 PM

5 posts, read 2,953 times
Quote:

Old Testament accounts do in fact seem like people interacted with a scientifically more advanced entity (in bodily form). He even showed himself on top of a mountain for Moses and his people.

To me, it has nothing in common with transcendent, loving God Jesus spoke of. Calling someone god in error doesn't disproves the fact that actual God still does exist.

Old 01-15-2022, 07:22 AM

269 posts, read 329,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
There has never been any evidence of a genome change in man or in the history of the world.
Apparently you skipped Chapter 15 of the 2nd Edition of Genomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality