Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 10:15 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,978,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
The Christian Bible, Hindu Bible, Greek Mythology, Native American Spiritualism....none of these are history....they are all purely fictional stories to help humans understand why certain things are the way they are and why certain rules exist.....the Christian Bible is no different..
If the Bible is not history, why are they confirming it's truth by historical discoveries? Mythology is not confirmed, the Bible is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 10:23 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,008,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
If the Bible is not history, why are they confirming it's truth by historical discoveries? Mythology is not confirmed, the Bible is.
What from the bible is confirmed?

Old 05-27-2008, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
What from the bible is confirmed?
For years skeptics of the Bible said that the story of David and Israels two Kingdoms was just a myth. Yet in 1993 archeologists digging at Tel Dan in Galilee in northern Israel found a fragment of stone inscription that mentions the "house of David" and identifies David as the "king of Israel". This is just one of now many confirmations the reveals the truth of the Bible.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:15 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,558,003 times
There are many, many things that have been proven right, both historically and geographically in agreement with the Bible. The discoveries do not necessarily 'confirm' what is said in the scriptures, unless you mean the definition " makes stronger".
I wonder if anyone has become a believer due to such discoveries? I really doubt it.
God wants us to believe 'by faith' not because something was found that 'proved' the bible.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:33 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,894,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
For years skeptics of the Bible said that the story of David and Israels two Kingdoms was just a myth. Yet in 1993 archeologists digging at Tel Dan in Galilee in northern Israel found a fragment of stone inscription that mentions the "house of David" and identifies David as the "king of Israel". This is just one of now many confirmations the reveals the truth of the Bible.
It confirms that the writers of the Bible wrote of historical events -- it does not prove the absolute-and-infalliable truth of the Bible as a historical document.

The story itself may have been a myth -- the discovery of the fragment merely proves that the people were real.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:44 PM

13,666 posts, read 20,804,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
It confirms that the writers of the Bible wrote of historical events -- it does not prove the absolute-and-infalliable truth of the Bible as a historical document.

The story itself may have been a myth -- the discovery of the fragment merely proves that the people were real.
Indeed. No doubt there was a Caesar Agustus, a Pontius Pilate and others mentioned. There probably was a man named Jesus who was highly charismatic, kind and brave. But did he actually walk on water?

I tend to doubt it.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:14 PM

43 posts, read 39,007 times
Well Mount Olympus is plain as day so therefore the all the myths about the Greek Gods are true

Old 05-27-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Indeed. No doubt there was a Caesar Agustus, a Pontius Pilate and others mentioned. There probably was a man named Jesus who was highly charismatic, kind and brave. But did he actually walk on water?

I tend to doubt it.
The Bible story stated that there were to Kingdoms in Israel, and it also stated there was a King David. The fragments found confirm that part of the story. The same Jesus who walked on water stopped me in the middle of a prayer long ago, and He told me that my wife was going to have a child. About five hours latter, I found out that my wife was pregnant. And I found that out even before my wife knew. I know Jesus, and I believe He did walk on water.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:22 PM

140 posts, read 133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
so you believe the earth was literally created in 7 earth days? Im not saying God isnt capable of doing it. That just doesnt jive with the system of nature and order that God has set up. Other scripture also says "a day in God's time is like a thousand years".
I have a book - written by 50 of todays top PHd's in Science - They all provide massive proof - The Genesis account was 6 - 24 hour days!

Oh! the name of the book? IN SIX DAYS

The more you know about (proven science) The easier it is to read Genesis.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:10 PM

33,573 posts, read 37,188,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperZ View Post
I have a book - written by 50 of todays top PHd's in Science - They all provide massive proof - The Genesis account was 6 - 24 hour days!

Oh! the name of the book? IN SIX DAYS

The more you know about (proven science) The easier it is to read Genesis.
Massive ignorance is not proof of anything except the author is either not very bright, or he is scamming the ignorant. Because a person has a degree does not make them intelligent...The book has nothing but to do with reality....Here is a much better book....It is actually filled with facts.... The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution: Richard Dawkins: 9781416594789: Amazon.com: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality