Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 11:08 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,248,879 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by ParkTwain
Quote:
We don't have quotes on any subject matter from Jesus, only second-hand testimony, because Jesus didn't write anything down.
True, but Jesus as an historical figure is irrelevant, only his philosophy matters.
So whether Jesus quoted Holy Scripture or just philosophical texts is also beside the point.
The only thing that should matter is the question if Jesus' ideas had merit or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 12:54 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,980,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
so you believe the earth was literally created in 7 earth days? Im not saying God isnt capable of doing it. That just doesnt jive with the system of nature and order that God has set up. Other scripture also says "a day in God's time is like a thousand years".
I believe that it is man, and not God that has misinterpreted the system of nature, and the order that God has set up. And that would be in keeping with the way man has understood God Himself. Always getting it wrong.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:07 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,248,879 times
Originally Posted by Campbell34
Quote:
I believe that it is man, and not God that has misinterpreted the system of nature, and the order that God has set up. And that would be in keeping with the way man has understood God Himself. Always getting it wrong.
This is only logical, because man only truly understands man.
After 20+ centuries we still do not understand nature or other animals.
Heck, men generally still don't understand women.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:16 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,248,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
We don't have quotes on any subject matter from Jesus, only second-hand testimony, because Jesus didn't write anything down.

Its interesting to ponder an illiterate God isn't it

Old 05-15-2008, 07:32 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,559,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post

Correct, but all Scripture was inspired ( breathed) by God, and I would be hard pressed to question God ! 2nd Timothy 3:16

Old 05-24-2008, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
so you believe the earth was literally created in 7 earth days? Im not saying God isnt capable of doing it. That just doesnt jive with the system of nature and order that God has set up. Other scripture also says "a day in God's time is like a thousand years".
Then how do u xplain this words God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." Thus evening came, and morning followed--the first day. Genesis 1 : 5????? wat is evening and wat is morning????? i think u gotta refer to the original text to be able to know what it meant.....and why do God give the 4th commandment telling exactly to keep the sabbath as a remembrance of the creation...that the earth is created in six days???? Why do God destroy the second temple giving warning about the sabbath clearly??? making the Jews strictly keeping it after the return??? causing Jesus the hard time using the sabbath many times to trap Him?????? i guess day and nite mean one day in our human day.....who knows???

Old 05-24-2008, 06:41 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,911,241 times
The Christian Bible, Hindu Bible, Greek Mythology, Native American Spiritualism....none of these are history....they are all purely fictional stories to help humans understand why certain things are the way they are and why certain rules exist.....the Christian Bible is no different..

Old 05-24-2008, 10:48 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,895,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
Correct, but all Scripture was inspired ( breathed) by God, and I would be hard pressed to question God ! 2nd Timothy 3:16
Someone brought up this point with me the other day. My only response was as follows:

'Fine. But have you ever met God? Have you been able to ask God, face-to-face, about His writings? Can you, in point of fact, even produce *one shred* of empirical evidence that proves conclusively that God *did* inspire the writing of the Bible?'

In the end, nobody can prove 'beyond doubt' that God inspired the Bible. There's no 'divine manuscript' (and I use that word in the literary meaning) that we can point to and say 'Yes, God wrote this'.

We have the words of a select few. Yes, a very *inspired* few, and a very *devout* few, but they were still...just....people.

I've not saying 'Question God'. Never have. I've seen my share of spiritual 'wow' moments, after all.

I *am*, however, saying that religion and belief are not an excuse to remove the ability to think critically, and think rationally.

As an example, I offer a (somewhat amusing) moment that came about courtesy of a friend: if the Bible is taken absolutely literally and infalliably, then technically, Mary was pregnant for *ten years*. You can look it up and do the math -- my friend showed me how it all worked out.

Last edited by FredNotBob; 05-24-2008 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: Added example.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:59 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,471,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
In other words... You believe the Bible because the Bible says to believe it is the word of God? How do we know the Bible is the word of God? Because it says so! Why should we listen? Because it's the word of God! How do we know that? Because the Bible says so! So why should we listen? Because it's the word of God! But how do we know that? Because the Bible says so! I don't know about you but that's a lot like watching a dog chase its' tail.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:04 PM

33,572 posts, read 37,198,452 times
Or maybe the tail wagging the dog?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality