Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 09:16 AM

141 posts, read 58,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Casual Visitor has said that he believes God is a God of love who will condemn unbelievers to an eternity in hell, if I recall correctly. I asked if that God existed, and the answer I received was, "Seriously? How much sense does that even make? Of course not!" I was humbled and yet grateful to know how stupid I had been to ever think it was true.
Pleroo...

You are, most certainly, one of the kindest, most gentle spirits I've ever encountered here.

If I understand correctly, that "Seriously" comment was attributed to me somewhere in the past. All I can say is---if I said something like that I profusely apologize. I would never, knowingly, offend or upset most anyone here---especially someone like you.

In all honesty? I think you may have confused me with someone else...in this case, I certainly hope so. I would never want to come across so rudely.

Anyway, that's the best I can do...but, I really mean this. Forgive me if I did offend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It was Ghandi. He also said in response to a question of what he thought of Western Civilisation, 'I think it would be a good idea".

These were Political points rather than religious or cultural, and should not perhaps be taken too seriously.

Logically (and I'm not saying that all atheists are logical) Bad belhavior by Christians does not in itself discredit the Ism - only that human beans do not always act in a praiseworthy manner.

If there is a polemic aspect to swindles or scandals, it is to counter the high moral ground claim that 'Religion makes people better". It may afford good people a chance to be even better; it may even make bad people good, but it offers endless opportunities for bad people to be as bad as they can possibly be and use religion as a way of making themselves untouchable, beyond question and exempt from Law.

This, not religion itself, is what steams atheism. We CAN disagree amicably. We can even be happy that YOU are happy with the religion that you found. But we can't agree to leave religion - or the people who use (or misuse) it - beyond human accountability.

There is also the aspect of the existence of a god who supposedly speaks to people. Isn't it conceivable that such a god would see fit to come to all their Josephs in a dream and tell them, 'Have you any idea what that fellow is doing with the money he gets from you?" Which you'd think He'd see would be needed to get over the denial of the faithful when the critical fingers start being pointed even more urgently than the need to remain Mysterious in case it diluted the Faith of the faithful.
As usual, well spoken...
Being of the nature that I am, I particularly like the comment that "We CAN disagree amicably." On that, I would certainly hope so. As to accountability? I would again agree...people can and do misuse alot of thing. "Religion" is no exception...

Therefore? Yes, accountability is required...

Anyway, all best to you and yours. Be well, be safe.
I bid you...adieu.

Old 11-23-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
they don't like Christians because of what some Christians do.
Agreed.
And, I can understand that mindset.
Well spoken.

Old 11-23-2019, 09:48 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,405,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
Pleroo...

You are, most certainly, one of the kindest, most gentle spirits I've ever encountered here.

If I understand correctly, that "Seriously" comment was attributed to me somewhere in the past. All I can say is---if I said something like that I profusely apologize. I would never, knowingly, offend or upset most anyone here---especially someone like you.

In all honesty? I think you may have confused me with someone else...in this case, I certainly hope so. I would never want to come across so rudely.

Anyway, that's the best I can do...but, I really mean this. Forgive me if I did offend.
No, I didn’t receive that answer from you. . It was the answer I received when I asked if the God who is love condemns people to an eternity in hell. That “God” does not exist.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:41 AM

63,864 posts, read 40,149,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Is it possible to “like” Jesus but not be a Christian? I suppose so, but as a Christian myself, I can’t see the differentiation. I wonder if those who say this have read everything Jesus said, because it wasn’t all puppies and unicorns.
You mischaracterize what He DID using the barbaric beliefs of our ancient ancestors and uncritically accept everything attributed to Him by the "precepts and doctrines of men" even when the "mind of Christ" (Holy Spirit of God) and His unconditional love is unambiguously described in detail (He even loved His torturers and murderers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Some of us can separate the wheat from the chaff.
Fundies can't, or won't, which makes them dangerous.
We all can but they are forced not to even try because of the "precepts and doctrines of men" that EVERYTHING in the Bible is the inerrant and infallible word of God. They misunderstand that the Bible only contains inspirations from God and describes THE Word of God who is Jesus Christ.

Old 11-23-2019, 03:38 PM

88,637 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Is it possible to “like” Jesus but not be a Christian? I suppose so, but as a Christian myself, I can’t see the differentiation. I wonder if those who say this have read everything Jesus said, because it wasn’t all puppies and unicorns.
How about the opposite? Is it possible to not particularly "like" Jesus and still be a Christian?

One reason (but not the only one) I returned to a Christian church in adulthood after many years of not being attached to any religious organization was the question, "What the heck do all these people SEE in Jesus that I am missing?"

I didn't see Jesus as puppies and unicorns EVER. I grew up in a Calvinist Reformed Church, and I saw him as mean and unforgiving, the opposite of the claims of who Jesus was supposed to be, and the spiritual equivalent of someone who was hiding around the corner ready to stick out his foot and trip me if I dared to let go and allow myself to run for joy.

I do better visualizing Jesus as a teacher and a healer.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-23-2019 at 04:10 PM..

Old 11-23-2019, 04:51 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,805,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
How about the opposite? Is it possible to not particularly "like" Jesus and still be a Christian?

One reason (but not the only one) I returned to a Christian church in adulthood after many years of not being attached to any religious organization was the question, "What the heck do all these people SEE in Jesus that I am missing?"

I didn't see Jesus as puppies and unicorns EVER. I grew up in a Calvinist Reformed Church, and I saw him as mean and unforgiving, the opposite of the claims of who Jesus was supposed to be, and the spiritual equivalent of someone who was hiding around the corner ready to stick out his foot and trip me if I dared to let go and allow myself to run for joy.

I do better visualizing Jesus as a teacher and a healer.
Yeah, I don’t see how that’s possible, at least as an adult. As I’m sure you know, I see Jesus as our Savior. Actually, healer is a similar idea (spiritual healer).

Old 11-23-2019, 06:56 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,384,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Is it possible to not particularly "like" Jesus and still be a Christian?
Yes. If you don't see him as a God or idol, something to be worshiped.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:36 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,761,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
As usual, well spoken...
Being of the nature that I am, I particularly like the comment that "We CAN disagree amicably." On that, I would certainly hope so. As to accountability? I would again agree...people can and do misuse alot of thing. "Religion" is no exception...

Therefore? Yes, accountability is required...

Anyway, all best to you and yours. Be well, be safe.
I bid you...adieu.
Thank you. You are a breath of fresh Air (even if it has a lot of Air Freshener about it) in a forum where abusive attacks on atheists are considered righteous Anger and showing their arguments do not stand up is depicted as unacceptable persecution.

You show that a willingness to at least listen, if not agree, is possible and with atheists nearly always is possible, because often we are reasonable people able to see both sides. And as i begin to see, amicable disagreement may begin to show that we may agree on more than we thought, and certainly enough for us to co -exist.

You may be more dangerous to atheism than those who rush at us with polemic pipe -bombs and blow themselves up, usually, as without disagreements, we have nothing to post about and without Theism, atheism ceases to exist.

Have a good and productive week -end.

Old 11-24-2019, 04:47 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,609,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
That's like saying I don't like all atheists because there are a few jerks on this forum. But that would be a stupid, condescending, prejudiced statement. Fact is, I've known some very nice people that identified as atheist.
The atheist population my be busting out.

You and Jeff know sooooo many atheist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality