Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Golden Rule influence America's foreign policy?
Yes - Americas foreign policy should obey the golden rule. 14 93.33%
No - the goloden rule should have no place in Americas foreign policy. 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 12:53 PM

7,374 posts, read 8,762,455 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering what the Christians here on C-D thought about the fact that the conservative Christians in South Carolina Booed one of the candidates when he brought up the golden rule as the way our nation should handle foreign policy.

I know that this is a political question in part, but i am mostly interested in hearing the thoughts only of Christians on this subject, hence me having posted this thread here in the Christianity sub forum, and there are many different types of Christians on this sub-forum and from all over America, so i feel like we should get a good idea of the general consensus on this topic among American Christians by this poll and thread.

Please remember this is not about any candidate, this is about the golden rule and its place in the lives of Christian Americans and in Government ...

Do you Agree with the idea that America should have a peaceful foreign policy of "do unto others as you would have them do unto you", and should cease preemptive attacks on other nations?

I guess another important question is, do you trust God to protect our nation if we especially Americans, especially we Christian Americans, obeyed Christ teachings even when it came to politics and foreign policy?

Or do you agree with the conservative Christians in SC and many other places, including various other christian forums on the web, that the golden rule has not place in politics and especially not if Foreign policy ...

What say you C-D Christians ... ?

(This is a public poll)

Old 01-24-2012, 01:00 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
I votes 'yes', meaning I agree with Pauls approach to foreign policy. Not only would it save trillions of dollars, it woudl also buy a lot of friends and respect.

As for "conservative Christians in SC" you referred to, I have no idea who they were, or why you think they were Christians.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I votes 'yes', meaning I agree with Pauls approach to foreign policy. Not only would it save trillions of dollars, it woudl also buy a lot of friends and respect.

As for "conservative Christians in SC" you referred to, I have no idea who they were, or why you think they were Christians.

Actually, because my web search has taken me to multiple forums where the Christians do not believe that the golden rule has any place in foreign policy, i have actually read posts from various Christians that state the golden rule would only work in foreign policy if every nation followed it().

And also SC is a big social conservative state, and most social conservatives are actually Christians i believe. Though you may be right Finn, it may have been social conservative satanists or atheists for all i know ...

Thanks for your response Finn ...

Old 01-24-2012, 01:09 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,948,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Do you Agree with the idea that America should have a peaceful foreign policy of "do unto others as you would have them do unto you", and should cease preemptive attacks on other nations?
More nonsense people have to sift through as if our foreign policy has to be one way or another.

Why is one passage in scripture all there is to it?

Jesus also said, if possible, as it has to do with you , live in peace.

Other countries and events often make it impossible which is beyond what it has to do with us. There are some that take scripture to the level that we might as well lay down our arms and if someone wants to take us over, then oh, lets seek Christ and just let them.

That may not what you personally are willing to do, but then that is the point, at what point should we listen to someones belief about scripture and when do we not?

I for one don't live in the delusion that because I seek Christ that the reality around me is somehow altered.

If I thought someone was going to break into my home, I'd take premptive action if I could and would not be wrong in doing so.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
More nonsense people have to sift through as if our foreign policy has to be one way or another.

Why is one passage in scripture all there is to it?

Jesus also said, if possible, as it has to do with you , live in peace.

Other countries and events often make it impossible which is beyond what it has to do with us. There are some that take scripture to the level that we might as well lay down our arms and if someone wants to take us over, then oh, lets seek Christ and just let them.

That may not what you personally are willing to do, but then that is the point, at what point should we listen to someones belief about scripture and when do we not?

I for one don't live in the delusion that because I seek Christ that the reality around me is somehow altered.

If I thought someone was going to break into my home, I'd take premptive action if I could and would not be wrong in doing so.

The golden rule and turning the other cheek are separate issues, but when i see American Christians Supporting preemptive wars with nations that never attacked us or threatened us, then i see Christians who do not understand what peace even is ...

Are you saying Phazel that you do not believe God would protect us as a nation if we had a peaceful non-interventionist foreign policy so long as we were not attacked?

By the way, if you only thought or suspected someone was going to break into your home and you took preemptive action and shot them, unless they were trespassing on your land, you would be found guilty in a court of law.

What i hear you saying Phazel, is that though its nice to say with your mouth that you agree with Jesus, and obey him, when it comes to the real world, Christ is pipe dreaming ... Instead of following Christs example, we should be Americans first a Christians second, and do unto others before the have a chance to do it to us - and that is not the definition of self defense, that is the definition of aggressive violence.

Last edited by Ironmaw1776; 01-24-2012 at 01:25 PM..

Old 01-24-2012, 01:22 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,131,209 times
Hi Ironmaw, good to see you around.

Whether they were actually 'conservative Christians' or not is debatable, but certainly many people have been brainwashed into thinking it is good that the U.S. should go around and start wars in many different countries in the name of 'freedom'.

The answer of course is the 'fix is in' for Ron Paul.
Ron Paul is the only one who has policies that make any sense and are sustainable.

And of course the establishment hates him, as he would upset their way of life if his policies were ever actually implemented.

Sad, because Ron Paul is probably the last chance for the U.S. to avoid an economic meltdown.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:25 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
I do not believe we can tie our own hands and follow one rock-solid rule, and never confront anyone, and that is not what Ron Paul is suggesting either. He supports a high-tech and powerful military, capable of beating any other military anywhere on the planet, but he also supports a non-intervention stance whenever possible. This includes opposition to military alliances, which are the best way to het incolved in wars which have nothing to do with US. Iraq war would never have taken place under such policy, but Afghanistan might have, but not for 10 years. You are right about the aggressiveness of many Christians especially when it comes to issues related to Iran.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:25 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,131,209 times
Ironmaw,

Just to clarify, by 'golden rule', you mean:
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you...

and not:
He who has the gold makes the rules!

Because some people might think the second one applies to the U.S. ...

Old 01-24-2012, 01:30 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,948,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
The golden rule and turning the other cheek are separate issues, but when i see American Christians Supporting preemptive wars with nations that never attacked us or threatened us, then i see Christians who do not understand what peace even is ...
If those are separate issues, why are you making it a part of the issue then?
Quote:
Are you saying Phazel that you do not believe God would protect us as a nation if we had a peaceful non-interventionist foreign policy so long as we were not attacked?
The ideology of Gods protection is a religious fallacy.

Quote:
By the way, if you only thought or suspected someone was going to break into your home and you took preemptive action and shot them, unless they were trespassing on your land, you would be found guilty in a court of law.
In a court of law if I could prove I had reasonable provocation to act I wouldn't be.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Ironmaw,

Just to clarify, by 'golden rule', you mean:
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you...

and not:
He who has the gold makes the rules!

Because some people might think the second one applies to the U.S. ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.