Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 11:53 AM

20,089 posts, read 13,542,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Saying "grace" would of course grate on me, but provided I wasn't obliged to join in (If I was, I would have to leave) I would be fine with their doing it within their own walls. And you raise one of the biggest shift in my views of recent years - the value of organized religion.

You may recall the De Botton proposal - to have the benefits of religion without the trappings. I already had the idea of believers still having religion with or without the trappings. There is room the religious and the irreligious (non trappings) God -believer. I don't altogether buy the argument that religion somehow is the only reason we have charities. I would argue that charity would do as well or batter in a secular -humanist society.
I think part of De Botton's "Atheism 2.0" notion is that unbelievers can develop a sense of community / refuge (the main actual social value of most churches) independent of a coalescing attractor like a religious denomination. I think that's a nice theory, but atheism itself is way too limited of a topical area to sustain it, I think. It would devolve into the usual "herding cats" problem. Humanism might be a better organizing principle.

I don't much care, we're just looking for local things to be involved in that we can get behind, and
whether that's secular or religious is not terribly germane to me unless it imposes things on me that I'm not willing to ignore or go along with in order to be a part of it.

As a former fundamentalist I have almost no practical experience with liberal Christianity so this is sort of an experiment for me: how "different" and possibly non-participatory can I be, before someone objects? And how much can I overlook or go along with before I object? I probably don't care enough to find out for myself, but as I said, my wife really cares about these kinds of activities and so I'm trying to be supportive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 12:09 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,235,946 times
The key to getting along is...

decent weed.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:13 PM

102,252 posts, read 108,183,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
Focussing more on values, and less on beliefs? Important values to me when it comes to religion are compassion and tolerance.

What would your top values be?
If you have compassion, wouldn't you automatically have tolerance? It wouldn't be compassionate to be intolerant, right?

IMO the basics are compassion, and humility, i.e. keeping the ego in check.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:13 PM

20,089 posts, read 13,542,799 times
I wonder if getting along, in and of itself, is even a worthwhile objective. It's all contextual. The fear of "not making nice" has been the undermining of many people's character. Sometimes taking a stand is more important than "going along to get along".

In a non-toxic, reasonably well-functioning society, it might be true that one should be ABLE to get along for the most part without compromising things that should not be compromised, or being less than honest -- such that not getting along often might be a sign of trouble. But it's not necessarily universally so.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:21 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,434,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
decent weed.
Well, now doesn't that just explain a lot...

Old 08-30-2017, 12:32 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,625,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

decent weed.
Did I mention sharing?

Old 08-30-2017, 03:00 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,355,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Well, now doesn't that just explain a lot...
He has a point. I have known many that get fighting mad when they are drunk. But I have never yet seen a pot head brawl. Way too much trouble.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:34 PM

678 posts, read 430,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If you have compassion, wouldn't you automatically have tolerance? It wouldn't be compassionate to be intolerant, right?

IMO the basics are compassion, and humility, i.e. keeping the ego in check.
Good point. I was thinking one may feel they have compassion but it's just for like minded individuals and be intolerant towards those who differ. So I guess compassion for all.

+1 on humility too

Old 08-30-2017, 03:36 PM

678 posts, read 430,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
He has a point. I have known many that get fighting mad when they are drunk. But I have never yet seen a pot head brawl. Way too much trouble.
Not even a fight over the last bag of Doritos?

Old 08-30-2017, 04:03 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,235,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
Not even a fight over the last bag of Doritos?
Nobody has the munchies bad enough to bogart the last bag.

Sharesies is the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality