Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2017, 04:27 PM

11,051 posts, read 6,003,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I gave you 66 different books. And you complain you want more. How many more you want?
66 Books you say? And they all mention Jesus by name?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 04:28 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,173,632 times
Quote:
I'd be happy to explain any one of them if you'd like.
Explain the difference between Mathews(ch.2) version of the birth and Luke's(ch.2) version.

In Mathew, Jesus is taken to Egypt to avoid Herods decree. Luke's version is nothing of the sort.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nativity_of_Jesus

Old 07-12-2017, 05:07 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,043,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Explain the difference between Mathews(ch.2) version of the birth and Luke's(ch.2) version.

In Mathew, Jesus is taken to Egypt to avoid Herods decree. Luke's version is nothing of the sort.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nativity_of_Jesus
What's the issue? Both mention events that took place, but did not mention all events. I fail to see the issue.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
What's the issue? Both mention events that took place, but did not mention all events. I fail to see the issue.
Of course you fail to see the contradictions. Try taking off the rose colored glasses. These are two entirely different views of one "claimed" event. Good grief.

What this proves is that Mathew could say that Jesus's hair was black and Luke could say it was blonde and you would see no contradiction. "Where's the contradiction? Jesus had hair".

Last edited by maat55; 07-12-2017 at 06:05 PM..

Old 07-12-2017, 06:06 PM

810 posts, read 668,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
There it is. Show us exactly what you have that convinces you Jesus was a real person. It cannot be from the Bible because those writings are not considered historical evidence by non-biased Biblical scholars.

Go on. Show us something extra-Biblical that proves Jesus existed--ANYTHING, artifacts, a grave, a monument, an ossuary containing his bones, a relief, just anything-- and then let us examine it and if it is convincing I know that I will change my belief and say that he truly was the Son of God.

Go ahead!
dumb idea for a thread OP. while we're at it why not lump on the following:

1. Prove that Adolf Hitler and Ava Braun committed suicide and weren't murdered
2. Prove that Earth is the only planet in the cosmos that can sustain life
3. Prove that humans and not aliens built the pyramids of Egypt

Old 07-12-2017, 06:07 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,559,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
And your point is?

Old 07-12-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
And your point is?
Well, after having read all 66, I did not see Jesus referred to in them all. Of course, daddy was shedding blood in most of them.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:39 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,307,475 times
"... and then let us examine it and if it is convincing ..."

Old 07-12-2017, 07:12 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,946,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
There it is.
Trolling?
Is There Any Evidence for Jesus Outside the Bible? | Cold Case Christianity
What evidence????

OMG! Even a kindergärtner versed in research could shoot these ridiculous "defenses" down as so many secular Biblical scholars have already done.

I'm not going to do any writing because it's tiresome to have to keep repeating myself. Here are quotes and sources.

Tacitus: he's writing 100 years AFTER Jesus supposedly was crucified so he's hardly contemporary. His reference, is actually to Chrestus, a Jewish rebellion leader

Quote:
Roman Emperor Claudius reigned 41 to 54 AD. ... In Claudius 25 Suetonius refers to the expulsion of Jews by Claudius and states (in Edwards' translation): "Since the Jews constantly made disturbances at the instigation of Chrestus, he expelled them from Rome."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suetonius_on_Christians

Tacitus NEVER mentions Jesus. Just Chrestians which were followers of Chrestus.

Now listen carefully. This will clear the matter up for you once and for all:

Quote:
Recently it was discovered that the earlier manuscript of Tacitus had Chrestians in the passage and it was changed to Christians by a later scribe. It seems obvious that a Christian scribe could not have made the mistake of writing Chrestians (Chrestianos) for Christians, so we must take it that Tacitus’ passage was probably authentic, but it has been interpolated. If Tacitus wrote Chrestians, then it is quite likely that he also wrote Chrest for Christ. The passage makes little sense as now recorded in wikipedia:

Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite punishments on a class hated for their disgraceful acts, called Chrestians by the populace. Christ, from whom the name had its origin.
Did you get that? A later Christian scribe got a hold of Tacitus' manuscript and changed the name in order to bolster the evidence for Jesus and Christians. But Tacitus never mentions Jesus so it's cold case proof Tacitus was referring to Chrestus.

I'm just going to give some reference material that refutes all the other claims Strobel makes:

Mara Bar-Serapion (70AD)

Quote:
And of course, there is no qualification for #7 whatsoever - the Teacher of Righteousness is nowhere regarded as a king. He is clearly identifiable in the Qumran literature as "an anti-Hasmonean priest of Zadokite lineage" [ibid., 1] - not a king.

The historical time-frame of the characters Bar-Serapion identifies by name suggests that the Jews' "wise King" also lived about the same time as Pythagoras and Socrates.

Pythagoras and Socrates were barely contemporaries - Pythagoras was about 60 when Socrates was born, if he was alive then at all. To include Jesus in a list with these two would be no more odd than naming Newton, Einstein and Hawking in a list of great physics theorists.
https://jayraskin.wordpress.com/2011/04/04/294/

The other references can just as easily be refuted if one just Googles them. Strobel is a phony baloney, out to make some cash just like all the other Christian writers trying desperately to prove Jesus was real. The sad thing is that nobody but gullible Christians buys into his tripe. Certainly no serious historians does. Christians make millionaires out of these hucksters. Sad Sad Sad.

Last edited by mensaguy; 07-15-2017 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: fixed quote tag

Old 07-12-2017, 07:19 PM

11,051 posts, read 6,003,061 times
Quote:
I gave you 66 different books. And you complain you want more. How many more you want?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
And your point is?
66 books proving that Jesus existed. What more do we need? Do all those books mention Jesus by name?
And you ask what my point is?
What is YOUR point?

MY point is that all those 66 books that prove Jesus existence should mention him. In fact, they should dwell on him.

So, do they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality