Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2023, 05:46 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,313,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
To answer your title question: No, I do not think religious people are more spiritual. In my experience, a large number of people that practice a religion that I've encountered tend to be less so. Rather than incorporating their religion in to their inner life, they seem to see it as a set of rules and become dogmatic. (I am just talking about those I've encountered. I have no idea if they are representative, before any one jumps down my throat.)

While my spiritual practice does seem to be described by your first paragraph, I have found that most people I've encountered do not place much importance on those things, religious, agnostic, or atheists. It seems to me that everyone is hooked on the material world.

I DO believe that my practice is my relationship with the Greater Consciousness, and it does rule every facet of my life now. I do believe that if more people could develop such an understanding, our world would be much different than it is now, but to arrive here in this place, it is an inside job and one has to be motivated. It isn't something that can be written in a book and studied. It requires hours of reading wisdom teachings from all recognized sources and finding that core that is common to them all. It requires constant self-assessment, and elimination of a sense of self, of ego.

I just don't see that happening.
Your post reminded me of Walt Whitman.

Quote:
you reckon'd a thousand acres much? have you reckon'd the earth much?
Have you practis'd so long to learn to read?
Have you felt so proud to get at the meaning of poems?

Stop this day and night with me and you shall possess the origin of all poems,
You shall possess the good of the earth and sun, (there are millions of suns left,)
You shall no longer take things at second or third hand, nor look through the eyes of the dead, nor feed on the spectres in books,
You shall not look through my eyes either, nor take things from me,
You shall listen to all sides and filter them from your self
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2023, 05:57 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Your post reminded me of Walt Whitman.
That's quite an honor. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality