Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 02:49 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,356,856 times

Advertisements

Is religion a form of insanity which begets insanity?

Should be be surprised by this?

Daughter a “demon,” says mother accused of drowning, beheading 6-year-old
Originally published June 14, 2005 at 12:00 am Updated June 14, 2005 at 12:39 pm

King County prosecutors say a former White Center woman, believing her daughter was a "demon," drowned the 6-year-old girl in a bathtub...

By Sara Jean Green
Seattle Times staff reporter
King County prosecutors say a former White Center woman, believing her daughter was a “demon,” drowned the 6-year-old girl in a bathtub, chopped off her head and threw her body from a bridge.
Daughter a “demon,” says mother accused of drowning, beheading 6-year-old | The Seattle Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 02:57 AM

865 posts, read 1,079,138 times
No, but religion can certainly exacerbate existing mental illness, like in the example cited. It's hard to say whether religion is a cause of insanity as well, or whether that woman would have been insane even had she been an atheist.

I would say that religion in a typical person is a coping mechanism; a device to enable one shut out reality and repress one's fears regarding death and the meaning of life. This is perfectly normal and probably an evolutionary adaptation.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:36 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,276,460 times
Absolute insanity.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:32 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,794,776 times
No, religion is not in and of itself insanity. It, generally speaking, is irrational, but so is much of the human experience.

The irrationality of religion is often used to legitimize, justify, or rationalize insanity, but I am not convinced that is is any more culpable than any other form of human unreason, just maybe more pervasive.

-NoCapo

Old 07-08-2015, 08:33 AM

26,026 posts, read 22,219,795 times
Of course religion is not a form of insanity and "religion" for those of us who have actually looked at it, encompasses such a wide range of beliefs. I feel sorry for people that believe that as they seemed so tormented having no real direction in their life and blaming religion or God for their problems while at the same time saying that neither matter or should or could exist.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:03 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,228,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post

Originally published June 14, 2005 at 12:00 am Updated June 14, 2005 at 12:39 pm

King County prosecutors say a former White Center woman, believing her daughter was a "demon," drowned the 6-year-old girl in a bathtub...

By Sara Jean Green
King County prosecutors say a former White Center woman, believing her daughter was a “demon,” drowned the 6-year-old girl in a bathtub, chopped off her head and threw her body from a bridge.
Daughter a “demon,” says mother accused of drowning, beheading 6-year-old | The Seattle Times
Yay for America. Religion is called insanity, believing you are the opposite gender is not....coming out of the closet gets you a phone call from the president, and we just redefined marriage.

Yay.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:11 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,422,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post

By Sara Jean Green

I don't know. Speaking from personal experience, I am much healthier, mentally, now than I was when I was religious: I battled severe depression and suicidal thoughts through most of my religious years, and I no longer do. But, I began the process of healing and changing my unhealthy though processes when I was still religious by just being shed of one belief: eternal hell/torment. If I believed in demons, I would absolutely believe that that doctrine was cooked up and promulgated by demons.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:20 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,245,738 times
What could possibly be insane about believing in demons and a god of love who slaughters people?

Old 07-08-2015, 09:20 AM

283 posts, read 522,413 times
On the contrary, the concept of "insanity" is a form of religion, i.e. a belief/value system used to explain otherwise unexplainable phenomena.

And I'm assuming you mean "mental illness" as insanity is a legal construct, not a medical/scientific one.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:32 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,444,192 times
I always differentiate religions...organized, hierarchies, forced dogmas to be
a member,
rituals, brain numbing repetitions....from religious beliefs, religious experience, spirituality.

Nothing about religious beliefs or spirituality is logical, thus, may be termed insane...
to stay on topic.

Unless you see the logic in something more powerful than what
your limited senses perceive.
Then, it would be insane or illogical to not believe in these unseen 'things'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality