Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 12:24 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I think you are trying to hold me responsible for someone else's post. I had no comments on drowning anyone.
You were responding to a thread that referred to the drowning of a child by her mother for religious reasons so I assumed that was what you were discussing. What is the "it" that shouldn't be called insanity, in your opinion then? Just fundamentalist religion in general? If so, I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 12:45 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie Jenkins View Post
Infancy? Mental health practice has existed in some form or another for over 200 years. Maybe you meant "scientifically primitive and logically flawed despite all the major advances in every other medical specialty".
It is the conceit of every generation to imagine that its science has taken things as far as they can, or in the inverse, that whatever has transpired over a sufficiently long period of time is predictive of how much will transpire over the next period. Progress is uneven.

I would consider medical science to be in its infancy also, albeit rather further advanced because it is trying to crack generally easier "nuts". Think of Dr McCoy of the original Star Trek, disparaging the barbarity of 20th century medicine "sewing people up like garments". "Modern" medicine still allows and inflicts much suffering, particularly at end-of-life, but I still am glad my wife can get a knee replacement rather than expect to be crippled for the rest of her life.

Yes we can agree to disagree. Overall, FWIW, I am not particularly impressed with mental health care in the US as I've experienced it and I'm even willing to call parts of it a scam. Particularly the drug peddlers. The county mental health system has to medicate my son for depression as a gateway to other services but there's no endgame either. They just keep futzing with his meds and fixating on a comorbidity at the expense of the main problem. There is little or no communication with his talk therapist and, I sense, some degree of professional hostility between them. What he really needs is his benefits coordinator and vocational rehab assistance, so we put up with the other stuff despite it being basically a waste of time and money, so that we can get to the bits that actually might be of some help.

So I'm not entirely disagreeing with you. I'm just not willing to call it all a communist plot or something. Imperfect as the DSM V is, it's at least an attempt to systematize and objectify understanding of mental illness and provide more consistent diagnoses. I don't know what we have that's better. My son isn't as capable as you clearly are of taking charge of his life and indulging in self-help. It's not my role to wipe his butt for him. So I'm trying to surround him with support systems that will keep him out of trouble when I eventually slip this mortal coil. Do you have a better idea than to work with what's there to work with?

A final note on the culpability of parents in mental illness. When parents are truly at fault, little is to be gained by shaming and blaming and that doesn't necessarily equate to them doing less than they knew how to do at the time. Much of mental health surfaces lots of interesting but ultimately unactionable information about how the patient came to be as they are. What's needed is practical help with improving symptoms and outlook and prognosis. And then of course there is the simple fact that sometimes the parents aren't at fault. In my case I contributed zero to my son's issues, although it can be argued that I chose a hideously bad gene donor to co-create him with, and like most parents of schizoid personalities I did not recognize the depth of his issues until they were more obvious in early adulthood. Whatever. I owe my son the best life I can give him and I owe society the least burden I can leave it with, and I'm doing what I know how to do, as always. If I were to be automatically judged and shamed for a situation that exists and needs to be dealt with, I don't know how that would help. At all. Most particularly how it would help my son. Might make other people feel smug and superior, but would not reduce net human suffering.

I regard blame-fixing as a religiously grounded impulse that generally serves no useful purpose.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:47 PM

1,422 posts, read 951,814 times
A very good post

Old 07-08-2015, 12:56 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,719 times
I consider religious beliefs in the supernatural as a form of a thinking disorder mostly with some delusional ideas thrown in. In terms of Bible believing Christians, it manifests it's forms in what I call compartmentalization. You can have a reasonably intelligent adult in other parts of their lives but when it comes to their religion, the thinking becomes irrational. When you believe as an adult that snakes talk, donkeys talk, a man lives in a whale for 3 days and other such nonsense, I can only conclude you have not learned the difference between fables and reality in elementary school or that you have a thinking disorder as mentioned before.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:38 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Yay for America. Religion is called insanity, believing you are the opposite gender is not....coming out of the closet gets you a phone call from the president, and we just redefined marriage.

Yay.
That has to be the quote of the day. Good, no, Great post Vizio!

Old 07-08-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
I consider religious beliefs in the supernatural as a form of a thinking disorder mostly with some delusional ideas thrown in. In terms of Bible believing Christians, it manifests it's forms in what I call compartmentalization. You can have a reasonably intelligent adult in other parts of their lives but when it comes to their religion, the thinking becomes irrational. When you believe as an adult that snakes talk, donkeys talk, a man lives in a whale for 3 days and other such nonsense, I can only conclude you have not learned the difference between fables and reality in elementary school or that you have a thinking disorder as mentioned before.
And I think just the opposite of you and I'm a very stable, upstanding citizen. The board members of the local library voted me to be president of the board (which I've been for quite a number of years now) and I've been voted in by the citizenry every four years.

Just because I believe the God Who created the entire universe is capable of keeping someone alive in a giant fish (by the way, the Hebrew does not say it was a whale), does not call into question my sanity. I think there is actually something wrong with those who don't believe God is capable of doing great things.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:01 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
And I think just the opposite of you and I'm a very stable, upstanding citizen. The board members of the local library voted me to be president of the board (which I've been for quite a number of years now) and I've been voted in by the citizenry every four years.

Just because I believe the God Who created the entire universe is capable of keeping someone alive in a giant fish (by the way, the Hebrew does not say it was a whale), does not call into question my sanity. I think there is actually something wrong with those who don't believe God is capable of doing great things.
Of course with your God all things all possible. The Muslims, Hindus and all the other people on this planet who have believed in thousands of different Gods through the ages could tell me the same thing about other so called supernatural events and things that defy reality as we know it. There is nothing special about you stating that YOUR God can do all these things. The analogy holds true. What's so far fetched about the Bible is that we are supposed to believe that the talking snake, talking donkey and man living in a fish for 3 days occurred only during the times in history covered by the Bible which is supposedly since the beginning of time in the Garden of Eden. You and those who believe in these talking animals need to go to the zoo and ask to see the talking snake and taking donkey exhibit and see what looks you get. Then you need to look out side your Bible and see if there ever has been solid evidence that animals like snakes and donkeys have spoken to people. Not secondhand stories or myths or somebody told me they talked to a donkey but actual substantiated evidence that this occurs in nature. Otherwise I'm going to look at the stories as just that...stories. Supernatural stories require extraordinary evidence and just because they are written down in some book, doesn't count.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:30 PM

Your limitations amaze me.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:54 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,133,502 times
What is nice about this thread is that underscores the opposite. No one ever seems to think that atheism or agnosticism might be a product of insanity.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:02 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie Jenkins View Post
Interesting. So can I suggest that all psychiatrists are delusional too when they strongly believe ("diagnose") people with chronic schizophrenia and ignore the "invalidating evidence" of World Health Organization longitudinal epidemiologic studies which prove that complete spontaneous recovery from psychological woes is not only possible but a statistical probability when patients take no medication and are unequivocally supported and treated like normal members of their respective society? Unfortunately many quacks teach "unhappy delusions" as well, like lifelong and incurable mental defectiveness that can cause actual self-fulfilling prophecies like permanent disability and suicide.
I wasn't even discussing the merits (or lack thereof) of the psychiatry profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality