Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 04:27 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,354,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
What is nice about this thread is that underscores the opposite. No one ever seems to think that atheism or agnosticism might be a product of insanity.
Insanity often deals with individuals who have experiences that are not real, and see things that do not exist. Atheism and agnosticism are all about NOT believing in claimed experiences that appear to be unreal, and with things that no one else can see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 05:06 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,168,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Insanity often deals with individuals who have experiences that are not real, and see things that do not exist. Atheism and agnosticism are all about NOT believing in claimed experiences that appear to be unreal, and with things that no one else can see.
Good points. Becoming an atheist never involves getting zapped off your horse on the road to Damascus.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:47 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,991,228 times
Quote:
Good points. Becoming an atheist never involves getting zapped off your horse on the road to Damascus.
There have been plenty of insane atheists and agnostics. I don't believe insanity is religioncentric.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:51 PM

1,422 posts, read 953,165 times
Default The Nuts Of The Round Tablet...

Quote:
No. It involves not being zapped off your horse on the road to Damascus...

I think it is rational to understand that the position of human consciousness (where it is situated) is enough to confirm that something very nutty is going on.

Being born into it provides us with a subjectivity which most often doesn't stop to think about the absurdity of the situation and simply regards it as 'normal' 'natural' 'nothing to wonder about' (as to the sanity of it) and besides, what good would that do to think along those lines because that could 'tip one over the edge'.

So heads down and asses up we soldier on, creating our futures as we do, as singular entities, oft finding our niche in couplings and groupings and never for a moment stopping to consider the sheer buffoonery of our own bias's as we finger at others different from ourselves, and not even a wee bit suspicious as to the collective impact of most everyone doing so at most everyone else.

I think it is therefore only natural that we are all nut-jobs with the pretense of sanity painting our faces, coloring our fantasies and fixating on our personalities...and how this proves at least that a society can function as one nut-farm in relation to all the other nut-farms and somehow consider that success enough.

Quite the delusion...

The Round Tablet...

Old 07-08-2015, 06:54 PM

33,568 posts, read 37,185,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
There have been plenty of insane atheists and agnostics. I don't believe insanity is religioncentric.
I believe that in some cases there is a link between religion and mental illness....

An Oxford University researcher and author specializing in neuroscience has suggested that one day religious fundamentalism may be treated as a curable mental illness. Kathleen Taylor, Neuroscientist, Says Religious Fundamentalism Could Be Treated As A Mental Illness

Old 07-08-2015, 07:29 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,225,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I believe that in some cases there is a link between religion and mental illness....

An Oxford University researcher and author specializing in neuroscience has suggested that one day religious fundamentalism may be treated as a curable mental illness. Kathleen Taylor, Neuroscientist, Says Religious Fundamentalism Could Be Treated As A Mental Illness
Hope so.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Neither do I.

What we are discussing here is whether or not being religious is a form of insanity, i.e, people who are religious because of a mental disorder of some sort.

While there are of course insane people who also are atheists, the atheism is not being advanced as the cause of the insanity, nor is insanity being suggested as the cause of that person's atheism.

So the difference would be:

"He is religiously insane" or "He is insanely religious"

"He is insane. He is also an atheist."

Old 07-09-2015, 02:20 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,991,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post

She, the researcher and author, is writing about radical Islam where people go out and murder others in the name of religion, Al Qaeda included. I don't know what "beating children" has to do with religious nutism which she also brings up, unless it is about radicalized Islamists beating their children into submission and brainwashing them. But I would agree with her that extreme forms of religion like Islam and Al Qaeda might be treatable in the future. These forms are very detrimental to society. But I would suggest that forms of atheism have killed more people the world over than any religion ever has. Here is a cite for this:
Atheist Governments of the 20th Century: The Death Toll of Godless Goodness

So maybe in the future there will be treatments available for extreme forms of atheism too. Let's pray it comes soon before then next big wave of murder in the name of nothing.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:55 PM

18,509 posts, read 9,188,189 times
Quote:
She, the researcher and author, is writing about radical Islam where people go out and murder others in the name of religion, Al Qaeda included. I don't know what "beating children" has to do with religious nutism which she also brings up, unless it is about radicalized Islamists beating their children into submission and brainwashing them. But I would agree with her that extreme forms of religion like Islam and Al Qaeda might be treatable in the future. These forms are very detrimental to society. But I would suggest that forms of atheism have killed more people the world over than any religion ever has. Here is a cite for this:
Atheist Governments of the 20th Century: The Death Toll of Godless Goodness

So maybe in the future there will be treatments available for extreme forms of atheism too. Let's pray it comes soon before then next big wave of murder in the name of nothing.
Like it or not, the U.S. Government is also "atheist" since the U.S. is not a theocracy. And yet you are still alive and doing well here.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Like it or not, the U.S. Government is also "atheist" since the U.S. is not a theocracy.
No it isn't. The US government is neutral on the question of religion. The Constitution prohibits the government from starting or supporting a state religion, and also forbids it to interfere with the free practice of private religion.

The government isn't anything in terms of religion, not Christian, not atheist, not agnostic. The government takes no position on religion apart from allowing its practice by private citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality