Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 08:56 PM

10,070 posts, read 4,990,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Eschatology is antithetical to Christianity. Christ literally tells his followers to not concern themselves with the timing of the Kingdom, but to rather simply be ready for it. Instead, we're supposed to focus on the here and now rather than keeping our eyes on some future event.
Focus on the here and now, yes, but as Jesus informs us at Mark 13:32-37 to keep on the watch, be watchful, alert.
Keep alert on the watch by spreading the good news of God's Kingdom as Jesus instructed to do at Matt. 24:14; Acts 1:8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2024, 07:29 AM

7,398 posts, read 4,182,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Maybe you didn't know. Harry Diogenes is the one raised Greek Orthodox who is conversant in Greek.
Yeah, somehow Paul888 completely skipped this fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul888 View Post
One of the interesting things about Francis is he is the last Pope in the Malachi prophecy nothing bad is said about him in it only that he would lead his people through troubled times.So according to the prophecy he will be the last legitimate Pope of the Catholic Church.It doesn't mean there will be no more Popes it means according to the prophecy God never choose them. Could well produce the False Prophet so I am not taking sides here.
Quote:
Malachy’s predictions are contained in a list of 112 symbolic phrases supposedly representing a list of 112 popes in succession. Most likely, though, the prophecy was created as an attempt to influence the papal election of 1590 in favor of Cardinal Girolamo Simoncelli by having Malachy’s prophecy identify him as the next pope. But Simoncelli was not elected, and Niccolò Sfondrati, who took the name Gregory XIV, was.

Prophecy supporters have already claimed that number 111 on the list, the “Glory of the Olive,” is Benedict XVI because the Benedictines have a branch called the Olivetans, though Benedict himself is not an Olivetan. The prophecy goes on to say of the supposed final pope: “In the final persecution of the Holy Roman Church, there will sit Peter the Roman, who will pasture his sheep in many tribulations, and when these things are finished, the city of seven hills will be destroyed, and the dreadful judge will judge his people. The End.”

Papal historian Anura Guruge says that despite using the name of St. Malachy, the prophecy isn’t worth paying attention to. “The fact is that Malachy is a Catholic saint, so some Catholics attribute magical or spiritual qualities to [the vision]. What they don’t tend to grasp is that more than likely, the entire thing is a forgery.”
https://uscatholic.org/articles/2013...of-st-malachy/

Yeah, so it's a false prophecy.

Old 04-18-2024, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Focus on the here and now, yes, but as Jesus informs us at Mark 13:32-37 to keep on the watch, be watchful, alert.
Keep alert on the watch by spreading the good news of God's Kingdom as Jesus instructed to do at Matt. 24:14; Acts 1:8
There is a difference between being watchful and being obsessive. Catholics are watchful without predicting it. Protestants are slavishly waiting for end times.

I think it's because Protestants want to prove that God loves them more than Catholics and what better way than destroying life on earth?

Old 04-18-2024, 09:30 AM

16,813 posts, read 5,018,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Maybe you didn't know. Harry Diogenes is the one raised Greek Orthodox who is conversant in Greek.
Conversant in modern Greek to the point a young person would learn from Greek Grandparents and a Greek Mother, so 'have you done your homework', 'please tidy your room', and 'stop connecting your young brother to the mains' conversant. For adult topics such as legal rules or vehicle driving, I am not conversant.

My Koine Greek is for most of the time limited to reading or hearing, I have to stop and think about some of the grammar rules when constructing new Koine Greek sentences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Yeah, somehow Paul888 completely skipped this fact.
To be fair, Paul888 is a new member on this forum, so I would not expect him to know details about other members.

Old 05-06-2024, 04:42 PM

10,505 posts, read 7,071,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post

You completely missed my point. Or rather, you parroted it back to me without realizing it.

People who keep obsessing over the signs of the coming Apocalypse are pursuing doctrine counter to Christ's direct teaching. Yet, every few months or some, there comes along some half-pint prophet who predicts that the world will end on the coming Tuesday. And there are enough mouth-breathing rubes who actually believe it.

Old 05-07-2024, 10:38 AM

112 posts, read 19,757 times
Well it the same exact book.Inturpretation doesn't save you.It will happen how it happens.I don't think anyone has a exact interpretation most of it is symbolic.A personal end time is coming for each of us I would worry about that.

Old 05-07-2024, 11:31 AM

63,939 posts, read 40,210,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul888 View Post
Well it the same exact book.Inturpretation doesn't save you.It will happen how it happens.I don't think anyone has a exact interpretation most of it is symbolic.A personal end time is coming for each of us I would worry about that.
I believe that is the only end time we need to concern ourselves with.

Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,394,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
^ this!

I've never gotten this 'end times' fanaticism.
Why look for something like that? when you can have "Jesus and the Father dwelling with" you -John14:23 - in the here and now !!

Old Today, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
^ this!

I've never gotten this 'end times' fanaticism.
It's become an addiction. The world needs a 12 Step program for End Times obsessions.

Old Today, 09:13 AM

11,154 posts, read 7,211,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I definitely agree with the 'personal end time' as what really matters. We can't change the world, but we do have a bit of control within our own lives and surroundings. We all 'leave the stage' at different times and under different histories, but that's when the sum of our lives comes into focus. All the world's ideas floating around won't matter then, as they shouldn't now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality