Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 08:19 PM

50,979 posts, read 24,467,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
If Fr Denis Fahey believes in the "Conversion of the Jewish Nation" to Christianity, all I have to say is "Rotsa ruck". The Catholics have been trying to convert us for centuries, often through torture and other heinous means, and they haven't succeeded yet.
What? Those nice christians???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 08:41 PM

10,546 posts, read 7,072,546 times
The end-time clock started to tick the moment Israel became a nation in 1948, and scripture is black and white on this, that the generation to witness this will be alive to see the fulfillment of end-times to Christs return.

The horned beasts are in reference to new world governments that appear when the Anti-Christ comes in power.

About a 1/3 of the Bible is prophecy, not just Revelations.

I wouldn't expect everyone (including high-priest as in Jesus day) to even understand prophecy until after it passes, as even Jesus disciples were unsure what would happen to Jesus when the Bible prophecies are very clear on what happens. If you read Isaiah 53 which was written some ~770 years before Jesus it reads as someone writing about Jesus post death and resurrection.

Jesus fulfilled 300+ prophecies, and even while he was fulfilling them, people were ignorant that they were being fulfilled, just like today as prophecies are being fulfilled.

Unless something stops it from happening, the red heifer prophecy (at least the sacrifice part) will be happening this week on April 22, 2024 which is pretty much as monumental as the founding of Israel and will catapult us right into the real hardcore end-times.

Last edited by DannyHobkins; 04-15-2024 at 08:58 PM..

Old 04-15-2024, 11:22 PM

16,813 posts, read 5,018,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The end-time clock started to tick the moment Israel became a nation in 1948, and scripture is black and white on this, that the generation to witness this will be alive to see the fulfillment of end-times to Christs return.

The horned beasts are in reference to new world governments that appear when the Anti-Christ comes in power.

About a 1/3 of the Bible is prophecy, not just Revelations.

I wouldn't expect everyone (including high-priest as in Jesus day) to even understand prophecy until after it passes, as even Jesus disciples were unsure what would happen to Jesus when the Bible prophecies are very clear on what happens. If you read Isaiah 53 which was written some ~770 years before Jesus it reads as someone writing about Jesus post death and resurrection.
The usual misrepresentation of what the NT actually says.

Quote:
Jesus fulfilled 300+ prophecies, and even while he was fulfilling them, people were ignorant that they were being fulfilled, just like today as prophecies are being fulfilled.
Yes, fictional figures invented after the event out of OT texts will fulfill those prophecies.

Quote:
Unless something stops it from happening, the red heifer prophecy (at least the sacrifice part) will be happening this week on April 22, 2024 which is pretty much as monumental as the founding of Israel and will catapult us right into the real hardcore end-times.
The red heifer prophecy, that is obvious.

Old 04-16-2024, 08:04 AM

23,226 posts, read 10,508,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
what is the Catholic view of the end times?

according to Catholic teachings

who or what is the beast of revelation 13?

the second 2 horned beast?

the image of the beast? etc

i am always curious about the catholic view of the end times.
Ann McDonald was a Catholic studying Revelation and she became convinced that the 7 hills in Revelation was directly referring to Rome, and that was a big problem because Rome was the great holy city of the Pope who sits in place of God, where in Revelation it became the seat of anti Christ.

So she worked it out and she calculated what must have happened, she became convinced that a rapture would happen which left Rome open to the anti Christ and his demons to move in.

That's who we have to thank for the silly rapture theory because once you become convinced of a rapture, your mind tries to fit it in everywhere.

Old 04-16-2024, 08:45 AM

112 posts, read 19,757 times
The End times are the same for all Christians its the book of revelations it doesn't change for Catholics.Only difference is others believe in the rapture.Why do you fear the end times if your a believer your saved even Jesus said not to worry these things have to happen.I don't spend anytime thinking about it I have my own end-time coming no matter what.

Old 04-16-2024, 09:27 AM

23,226 posts, read 10,508,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul888 View Post
The End times are the same for all Christians its the book of revelations it doesn't change for Catholics.Only difference is others believe in the rapture.Why do you fear the end times if your a believer your saved even Jesus said not to worry these things have to happen.I don't spend anytime thinking about it I have my own end-time coming no matter what.
It's not the same, I will tell you that Revelation begins on Rosh Hashanah going through Yom Kipper going through the wine harvest. The sickle that comes out in Revelation is to gather the grapes for the wine harvest, but none of it concerns the end of days.

Revelation 1:1

If you dont believe the first thing said, it's all lost on a person, Revelation begins with the assurance that every single thing in the book was at hand right then and right there, that in fact, you are the one who fulfills all the prophesies of Revelation and all the prophecies concern a Gentile becoming an Israeli where he is in a cocoon of 7 linen wraps that is put on a dead man.

Like the insect that goes in as one creature but emerges as a wholle different creature.

Revelation is my religion, all of Matthew 24 is of my religion and I dont view it like everyone else because it's my religion, it's not the religion of Chrisrianity, we are reading of things that are said and done on exact days at the temple during holy days. The book of Revelation and Matthew 24 are things said and done by priests and by congregation in holy days, I know these holy days because it's the religion I practice.

This is the religion of Jesus just like the few who keep Pesach and people looking to April 30, we look to special days of messiah when God appointed certain days where you should seek him.

What do we do on Rosh Hashanah? What is said and done by priests and by congregation during Rosh Hashanah?

If you dont know what is said and done on Rosh Hashana, there is no chance of you understanding Revelation or Matthew 24, and neither is about the end of days, they are both about the end of your first season, your first age in Passover, and on Pentecost.

Just saying, I wish people would take an interest in the religion Jesus walked in, it's very interesting

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 04-16-2024 at 09:40 AM..

Old 04-16-2024, 09:39 AM

20,089 posts, read 13,542,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Probably later than that.
Most Catholics don’t waste their energy thinking about “end of times’” madness.
By contrast, Evangelicals form various subgroups about end of times interpretations.
And then they look at the Pope as the Antichrist etc.
No wonder Christianity is so divided.
The reference to the 1830s is to Darbyism, the source and ideological underpinnings of modern Christian Fundamentalism. The eschatology was probably not as developed or emphasized back then, but it got the ball rolling.

Old 04-16-2024, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Despite preterism bring essentially Catholic apologetics, secular bible scholars see it as correct except for one point. Alcazar believed Revelation was written before the destruction of the temple, and thus the events of Revelation were prophecies. Modern scholars believe Revelation was written after the destruction of the temple and is thus a book of history rather than prophecy.
IIRC almost all scholars date Revelation to about 90 AD, so well after the destruction of the temple. Fundamentalists tend to want earlier dates, and I don't know if their acceptance of this later date is because there's so little evidence for earlier dates that even they can't BS their way to an earlier one, or if they want it later because it's more comfortable to have it both ways. By which I mean, their belief in "multiple fulfillments" and "partial fulfillments" of any given prophecy have a weird way of making a prophecy seem more consequential; if "the abomination that causes desolation" was the desecration of the temple during the sacking of Jerusalem, that is just a partial fulfillment pointing to a later desecration of a rebuilt temple by the AntiChrist.

Old 04-16-2024, 09:53 AM

Quote:
It has been 76 years. By some people's lights that is already three generations and counting, in terms of "generations born". If you take the loosest possible interpretation that the generation present in 1948 will "end" when the very last person alive in 1948 is dead, then a baby born on the day of Israel's founding might survive in the extreme to over 100 years later. But that is a real stretch.
Quote:
Your point is well taken that prophecy would be more for the benefit of those who would see its fulfillment in retrospect than for those who would live prior to its fulfillment. I was actually taught this in Bible institute, that the prophecies are easier to get wrong before rather than after, that they seem crystal clear only in retrospect.

But then you have people who believe in multiple fulfillments because guess what, over thousands of years any one prophecy can fit very nicely with multiple world events.

A person with a healthy BS detector then has to ask what use prophecy is. Prophecies don't give names and calendar dates or any other information specific enough to tie a fulfillment to something specific enough as to be eternally unambiguous and impossible to get wrong or to dismiss as coincidence. Funny, that.
Quote:
And so claims like this one, which BTW are dismissed and derided by the Jews as cynical misappropriations of their own Torah, are just claims -- post hoc rationalizations and confirmation bias, mostly.
Quote:
Yeah this red heifer thing is all over the chatter on the internet right now, as if a particular color of cow ritually sacrificed actually means anything (other than to the cow).

Old 04-16-2024, 10:15 AM

63,941 posts, read 40,218,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
IIRC almost all scholars date Revelation to about 90 AD, so well after the destruction of the temple. Fundamentalists tend to want earlier dates, and I don't know if their acceptance of this later date is because there's so little evidence for earlier dates that even they can't BS their way to an earlier one, or if they want it later because it's more comfortable to have it both ways. By which I mean, their belief in "multiple fulfillments" and "partial fulfillments" of any given prophecy have a weird way of making a prophecy seem more consequential; if "the abomination that causes desolation" was the desecration of the temple during the sacking of Jerusalem, that is just a partial fulfillment pointing to a later desecration of a rebuilt temple by the AntiChrist.
The symbolism in scripture (and in the Hebrew language characters) contains the actual spiritual significance of the texts, IMO. Hanni is the resident symbolism expert here in the forum, IMO, and his understanding of the temple agrees with mine. Our bodies are the temples. The "abomination of desolation" refers to our "ignorance" isolated in this physical body and in the institutions we have created in our "ignorance." The "sacrifice" refers to overriding our selfishness out of agape love, NOT killing innocent creatures (or Jesus).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality