Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 08:33 AM

152 posts, read 476,771 times

Advertisements

I have searched the forum about this and have not seen it discussed much.
I read a lot about fund. christianity, mormons, baptists, etc. in NC, but is there a large presence of Roman Catholics too? Specifically in the Greensboro area? Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2006, 08:36 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,254 times
Most cities have a good few catholic churches. Doesn't the church have some type of online directory you can look up, like many other denominations do?
Heck, our current governor is Catholic so that should say something.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:51 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,907,324 times
Jackie - here's some - use link

also when you get there, look in the yellow pages -

search.msn.com/local/results.aspx?q=roman+catholic+churches&near=near&l at=36.068800&lon=-79.794700&display=Greensboro%2c+NC&ls=r&FORM=YWRE

Old 08-24-2006, 08:58 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,752 times
The stats I found online for the year 2000 (the most current) showed NC had a Catholic population of 316,606 which is 3.9% of the total population.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:20 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02 View Post
Jackie - here's some - use link

also when you get there, look in the yellow pages -

search.msn.com/local/results.aspx?q=roman+catholic+churches&near=near&l at=36.068800&lon=-79.794700&display=Greensboro%2c+NC&ls=r&FORM=YWRE
You can view the actual BellSouth Telephone Directory for Greensboro here.

http://www.realpageslive.com/

Old 08-24-2006, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the responses. We had inquired about this to our RE agent, and she said there were a few around the area, but when we were sightseeing , we didn't find any Catholic Churches. Plenty of others though. We are not very religious people, but my mother is, and she is bugging me about it. My son is supposed to receive his first communion this upcoming year, and I guess I will just ask around when we get there. Again, thanks for the info.

Old 08-24-2006, 03:33 PM

741 posts, read 3,510,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie1014 View Post
Thanks for the responses. We had inquired about this to our RE agent, and she said there were a few around the area, but when we were sightseeing , we didn't find any Catholic Churches. Plenty of others though. We are not very religious people, but my mother is, and she is bugging me about it. My son is supposed to receive his first communion this upcoming year, and I guess I will just ask around when we get there. Again, thanks for the info.
I've been told that when you join your Catholic Church in NC, they are VERY big on that envelope. I alway's said their very big on the envelope here. Apparently, there are not many Catholic church's in NC therefore If you forget your envelope they will never forget it. My son is to recieve his First Communion this year also, and if by chance I sell this house sometime this year I'll have to find a new church for him to make his Communion in. And Grease quite a few palms along the way. Also have you heard of this new "teaching touching safety" ordered by the bishop to be taught in CCD or Catholic school class? Imo, this is not the place for it, if it wasn't for all the "dirty" priest's this would never had been an issue.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty nj View Post
I've been told that when you join your Catholic Church in NC, they are VERY big on that envelope. I alway's said their very big on the envelope here. Apparently, there are not many Catholic church's in NC therefore If you forget your envelope they will never forget it. My son is to recieve his First Communion this year also, and if by chance I sell this house sometime this year I'll have to find a new church for him to make his Communion in. And Grease quite a few palms along the way. Also have you heard of this new "teaching touching safety" ordered by the bishop to be taught in CCD or Catholic school class? Imo, this is not the place for it, if it wasn't for all the "dirty" priest's this would never had been an issue.
Hey Patty, the envelopes are BIG here, but we don't go to Church regularly, and I live in such a large community, noone notices. But I pay $165 to enroll them yearly. To be quite honest with you, if it wasn't for my mother, (I know this sounds terrible) but I probably wouldn't even send them. I remember when I was little, I hated going to religion. My parents forced us to go. But, as to not upset or disappoint her, we send our kids. They have not complained yet, but there is still time for that as they are all small. On your other point, I have not heard about this "teaching touching safety" yet, probably because we have not enrolled them here in NY because we are moving to NC next week. I don't know if it is the proper place for it, but I guess the more knowledge teh kids have these days the better, unfortunately

Old 08-24-2006, 09:03 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times

Copyright cleared by adherents.com

Old 08-25-2006, 06:22 AM

34 posts, read 110,586 times
There are 2 big Catholic churches in Greensboro that I know of. I have several Catholic friends and no one has complained about a shortage of Catholics, or feeling isolated. We do have a shortage of Italians though :-(

There is a very highly regarded Catholic high school with brand new facilities between Winston-Salem and Greensboro called Bishop McGuiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina